Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning German in Germany

• 21-08-2011 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

My partner is German so we are thinking of moving to Germany in the next 2-3 years. I have been learning German through book and CD I got in Germany which I find ok. Question is is it possible to get free German language courses in Germany? I have a friend who moved to Sweden and there they offer free course to learn Swedish funded by the government. My friend is now nearly fluent is Swedish after quiet awhile of trying to learn from cds and books.
    Anyone know if there is something similar in Germany or if not how much I would pay for courses there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I may yet be corrected on this, but I think that the free lessons in Germany are only for people from outside the eu on an integration course as a condition for a visa or citizenship.

The equivalent of the vec though volkshochschule have cheapo German courses though.
    In Munich they even teach Irish for beginners, so there's lots of courses there that you mightn't think existed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Thanks we will be moving to around Marburg. Going to try and learn as much as possible before we go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Thanks we will be moving to around Marburg. Going to try and learn as much as possible before we go.
    grand, then you have these courses from the VHS there:

http://www.vhs-marburg.de/kufer/webbasys/index.php?urlparameter=kathaupt%253A1%253Bkathauptname%253AKursbereiche%253Bkatid%3A109%3Bkatvaterid%3A80%3Bkatname%3ADeutsch+als+Fremdsprache%3B

Pricewise you'll not get better value.
    for example the first course there is 100 hours of instruction for €200.
    Or €125 if you get a discounted rate, however you get that!!

It seems like you can register online so maybe you can enroll now in anticipation of your move, although an address in Marburg might be handy if not essential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

thanks

Advertisement