Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco's Alcohol Policy

• 21-08-2011 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old from Holland who last week was refused alcohol at a Tesco's on Parnell Street. I was told that my dutch I.D. and driving license would not be accepted. And that I would need a Garda Age Card or a passport.

I did not make a fuss as I'm new to the country and do not know the ins and outs of the system here.

So Thursday night I went grocery shopping again. And once I got to the cashier I was again asked for I.D. and this time I was prepared. I got out my passport and showed it only to hear they only accept Irish passports or National Age Cards. I kicked up a fuss this time, asking for a manager and explaining that it was accepted at border controls and embassies across the world and even by the Gardai right here and they still refused to send me on my way. I asked to see the policy they were talking about only to hear that they do not have the policy in the shop and I would have to call Customer Service.

At this point I was well pissed off. In the end I just went to a Spar across the street where I was not asked for I.D. or anything like it.

Friday I actually called up customer service asking about the policy only to be told they could not help me and I should ask for it in the shop. I tried explaining that that's what I did but all they could tell me is that every Tesco branch should have their policy for customers to see.

After this I went online and found multiple complaints just like mine. Mostly by foreigners or tourists for whom it was impossible to buy any kind of alcohol at Tesco's because they did not have Irish Identification. I even saw some complaints of Irish people with Irish passports who were still not allowed to buy alcohol without and Age Card.

I don't understand why I should spent money on a National I.D. card while I have a Passport which is accepted everywhere.

I already know what I will do though, I will never be going to Tesco's again. I just don't understand it and needed to get this rant of my chest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭askU

go home if ur not happy here...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Ionesco wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm a 23 year old from Holland who last week was refused alcohol at a Tesco's on Parnell Street. I was told that my dutch I.D. and driving license would not be accepted. And that I would need a Garda Age Card or a passport.

I did not make a fuss as I'm new to the country and do not know the ins and outs of the system here.

So Thursday night I went grocery shopping again. And once I got to the cashier I was again asked for I.D. and this time I was prepared. I got out my passport and showed it only to hear they only accept Irish passports or National Age Cards. I kicked up a fuss this time, asking for a manager and explaining that it was accepted at border controls and embassies across the world and even by the Gardai right here and they still refused to send me on my way. I asked to see the policy they were talking about only to hear that they do not have the policy in the shop and I would have to call Customer Service.

At this point I was well pissed off. In the end I just went to a Spar across the street where I was not asked for I.D. or anything like it.

Friday I actually called up customer service asking about the policy only to be told they could not help me and I should ask for it in the shop. I tried explaining that that's what I did but all they could tell me is that every Tesco branch should have their policy for customers to see.

After this I went online and found multiple complaints just like mine. Mostly by foreigners or tourists for whom it was impossible to buy any kind of alcohol at Tesco's because they did not have Irish Identification. I even saw some complaints of Irish people with Irish passports who were still not allowed to buy alcohol without and Age Card.

I don't understand why I should spent money on a National I.D. card while I have a Passport which is accepted everywhere.

I already know what I will do though, I will never be going to Tesco's again. I just don't understand it and needed to get this rant of my chest.

Same happened a foreign couple in front of me in Tesco Jervis a year or so ago, Tesco do have a strict Garda Age Card policy and at descrecion accept passports. This is due to the fact in Ireland the only way Tesco cannot be held legally accountable for selling to a minor is accepting an Age Card. I think the reason a passport isn't accepted willingly is due to the picture being black and white bizare stuff indeed though this is still an issue.
    My advice, go to a Spar, Centra or even an independent off license, will more than likely be less strict and nowadays are as cheap as Tescos for most stuff anyways

Good luck,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

askU wrote: »
    go home if ur not happy here...

If only we could send people like you away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

Exactly, if they are going to be that awkward about providing you their service, the easiest thing for you to do is take your business somewhere else! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

There are other supermarkets that are cheaper. That would also have a more practical and coherent policy on selling booze. Let them loose business on their incompetence. You shop else where.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Asku. Infracted,
    As a private company, tesco can set their own policies for sale of products, such policies must however comply with the requirements of the equal status act which prohibits discrimination on grounds of nationality.

Have you contacted the equality tribunal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Tesco policy on ID is, at best, retarded. My 27 year old girlfriend was asked for ID getting the lotto last week. If i were you I would write to head office and ask for their policy and reasons for denying anything but age cards and Irish passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ionesco

>Have you contacted the equality tribunal?

No I have not, and I doubt I will. I've already put too much effort in to this. I was just really annoyed at the fact that they tell me one day to bring a passport, and the next day when I bring one they say it still won't be accepted.

And as said by others the best thing would be to just bring my business elsewhere. I don't mean to be a whiny person by the way, I'm just annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Youre right to be annoyed.

its a ridiculous policy that i think is suspect on equal status grounds.

the reason they won't accept driving licences is because the irish licence is quite easy to forge as for some inexpliccable reason the department of transport has not updated the security features on it since the 1980s. A foreign passport or eu national id card though should be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

No I have not, and I doubt I will. I've already put too much effort in to this. I was just really annoyed at the fact that they tell me one day to bring a passport, and the next day when I bring one they say it still won't be accepted.

And as said by others the best thing would be to just bring my business elsewhere. I don't mean to be a whiny person by the way, I'm just annoyed.

I'd say you put too much effort in to this in the wrong direction. Making a complaint to the Equality Tribunal is fairly straight-forward and you have a winnable case where you could be awarded an amount up to €6,348.69.

Be aware that you only have two months within which to notify Tesco that you intend making a complaint, even though you have 6 months to make a complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is a stupid policy and I would personally take the chance to have something done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I'd say you put too much effort in to this in the wrong direction. Making a complaint to the Equality Tribunal is fairly straight-forward and you have a winnable case where you could be awarded an amount up to €6,348.69.

Be aware that you only have two months within which to notify Tesco that you intend making a complaint, even though you have 6 months to make a complaint.

I may be wrong but in relation to the selling of drink to persons 23 (or 21 im not 100% sure) and under the equality tribunal has no jurisdiction. It is an offence if I remember to sell drink to any person below the age of 18 and also a requirement to check the ID of any person between the ages of 18 and 23, that may be raised to 25. The reason some places only accept Garda ID is that if a person under 18 uses a doctored passport (USA J1) then the seller is liable they cannot raise the defence of honest mistake, the matter was before the HC who said it was ok to have a strict liability offence in this matter, I believe the matter is now before the SC on appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go to customer service desk and they have several signs on the walls with their different policies
    You can stand there for a few minutes and read them

Maybe that's what the helpline meant

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

if a person under 18 uses a doctored passport (USA J1) then the seller is liable they cannot raise the defence of honest mistake, the matter was before the HC who said it was ok to have a strict liability offence in this matter, I believe the matter is now before the SC on appeal.

Have you a link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

+1 nothing to lose.

if a person under 18 uses a doctored passport (USA J1) then the seller is liable they cannot raise the defence of honest mistake, the matter was before the HC who said it was ok to have a strict liability offence in this matter, I believe the matter is now before the SC on appeal.

Have you a link to this?

http://courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/597645521f07ac9a80256ef30048ca52/491cd9c28228ffbe802576bf004b7705?OpenDocument

I had a look at the judgement again what happened is a girl under 18 presented a false passport there was some doubt if she presented a age card. The pub was charged with 2 offences in the DC 1 for allowing a person under 18 on the premises the 2 serving alcohol to a person under 18.

The first offence allows the defence of due diligence, and was dismissed by the DC. The second offence only allows defence that Age Card was produced, so was convicted of that offence even though passport was produced, which the DC decided in relation to the first offence was good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I may be wrong but in relation to the selling of drink to persons 23 (or 21 im not 100% sure) and under the equality tribunal has no jurisdiction.

I would say the complaint would not be about the age of the OP, but the fact that only Irish ID is accepted (Garda age card, or Irish Passport), and the fact that a foreign ID card and foreign passport were not accepted. It seems to discriminate against non-Irish ID holders.

Paulw wrote: »
    I may be wrong but in relation to the selling of drink to persons 23 (or 21 im not 100% sure) and under the equality tribunal has no jurisdiction.

I would say the complaint would not be about the age of the OP, but the fact that only Irish ID is accepted (Garda age card, or Irish Passport), and the fact that a foreign ID card and foreign passport were not accepted. It seems to discriminate against non-Irish ID holders.

In fact the only ID that will allow the raising of a defence is the Garda Age card. But you are correct if Tesco will accept a Irish passport and not a Dutch one then there may be an equality issue in relation to nationality. If on the other hand they only accept Garda National Age card, which if I remember correctly all the signs in tesco say, then they would be on solid legal ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

OP Please at the very least write to Tesco and ask them to respond in writing as to why they will not accept Foreign Passports. Ask for an explanation of the policy.

The fact they will not take them is stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I work for Tesco just to clear this up, We only accept the Age Card. No passports/drivers licences.

At my discretion I will accept a passport, but it's not company policy to accept it.

So to be honest, the staff in Parnell St are within company policy. Although, I know how you feel I was refused service in Lidl before cause I didn't have a Age Card. Just go to a local off licence or pub, best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

msg11 wrote: »
    I work for Tesco just to clear this up, We only accept the Age Card. No passports/drivers licences.

At my discretion I will accept a passport, but it's not company policy to accept it.

So to be honest, the staff in Parnell St are within company policy. Although, I know how you feel I was refused service in Lidl before cause I didn't have a Age Card. Just go to a local off licence or pub, best bet.

Fair enough but he was refused based on his passport and was specifically told that an Irish passport would do.

To the OP, send in a friend with just an Irish passport. If he/she's asked for ID and they accept an Irish passport, then bring that friend to the Equality Tribunal

Just because it is company policy does not mean it is legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

msg11 wrote: »

Its an incredible policy considering the country is awash with fake Garda age cards and not awash with fake passports.

So in theory Tesco could ask a person well into their 40's for ID and then refuse them because they don't have an age card?

Just because it is company policy does not mean it is legal.

It is legal the only valid defence to a charge of serving drink to a person under 18 is that they produced a Garda national age card.

So in theory Tesco could ask a person well into their 40's for ID and then refuse them because they don't have an age card?

Well if the person looks under 21 then yes.

But if they don't?

But if they don't?

That is subjective, if the shop keeper thinks the person is under 21 he has a legal responsibility to make sure such a person has a national age card.

If someone thought I looked under 21 I would love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Its an incredible policy considering the country is awash with fake Garda age cards and not awash with fake passports.

Folks, it's not my policy. It's just what I am told. Stupid if you ask me as I would prefer a passport over an age card. At leased with the passport you can question them on there Address etc..

If he was refused based on his passport not been Irish the person refusing to serve him is clearly a moron. And should have said we don't accept passports full stop.

In theory you can refuse anyone drink, even if your 50 you could be asked for ID (which is rare, although I did hear of a story of one operator that was asking people in there 30-40s for ID. He was quickly told to cop himself on), or be told you too drunk to be sold anymore.

The age card is shocking, it's very easy to produce if you know what you doing. I know that by just looking at the card.

OP, sorry to hear about you bad experience. It has happent to me and it make your blood boil, just shop somewhere else or keep going in and pissing the same person off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 leitrim28

I got asked for id in Tesco's for cigarettes. so i showed my Irish passport and she looked at it and accused me of altering the passport by replacing the photo with a photo of me. then i told her it's real and i'm 29, she then showed it to the security guard and he examined it and said it looked fine.

i'm just pissed off.

Advertisement