Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players you generally miss

Options
  • 21-08-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭

The MJ thread on here gave me an idea to start up something about players that you guys generally miss watching or hearing about. It can be anything from guys you just really enjoyed watching or your favourite player of all time or even someone who's career was sadly ended by injury.

Mine would be Alonzo Mourning. I've always had a thing for guys who literally give it on both ends of the floor and he was the epitome of that. Plus you gotta love someone who came back from a Kidney Transplant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I miss watching Shaq in his prime - reminds me of being a kid totally hooked on b'ball...

Apart from him, I loved Drexler. He was kinda like 'Jordan Light' I suppose but still had a style all of his own and always came across as a classy guy.. Looked a bit like Snoop too, eh? :)

Clyde-Drexler.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 level3

I miss John Starks.. His energy, arrogance, cockiness, passion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVr10i28Kw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Another guy I miss a lot. Should have added it to the original post. :)

david-robinson.jpg

I've always had a soft spot for the Spurs and I loved how versatile and athletic The Admiral was on both ends of the floor. He carried some Spurs teams that didn't have very much talent on them as far as he could, and was then blamed for not being able to get them further than he did, which was completely unfair. And off the court, he's always been considered one of the biggest gentlemen in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Yeah, prime Shaq for me. Been missing him since 2003. It was just spectacular to watch someone physically dominate everyone.

The young Iverson as well.

Bruce Bowen for some reason, loved his approach and attitude and how hard he had to work to make in the NBA. I remember hearing a story about him chewing out LBJ on the sidelines at a Team USA session, after LBJ had been dismissive/arrogant to one of the staff (non-playing/coaching) members.
    He did some nice trolling of Paul Pierce and Ray Allen which makes him ok in my eyes.:pac:
    Poor Wally Sczerbiak though
    5ybu0k8.gif?t=1242008353

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

The Dream, one of the greatest centres ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

level3 wrote: »
    I miss John Starks.. His energy, arrogance, cockiness, passion..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVr10i28Kw

I f*cking hated Starks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

#15 wrote: »

The young Iverson as well

THIS.

namely 96/97 and 97/98 when he bounced the ball real high and took every shot not givin a f*ck.....lol bad for the team but dope entertainment.......that dude looked so light on his feet those 2 years.....like he just skipped into the lane......then larry brown tamed him :(

plus the questions and the answer 1 sneakers >>>>>>>> any other iverson sneaker, reebok need to retro those the day before yesterday......

far as who i miss, of course the g.o.a.t.......then eddie jones, nick van exel, jr rider.....who else.....latrell spreewell......

lebrons hairline..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Began watching the NBA as a kid in 1987 when the BBC showed games late on a Saturday night; stayed up for them when i could get away with it, often had to tape them and watch them the next morning.
    This was when the great Celtics team of the 80's were still competing for championships, though were on the downward slope.
    Became a Celtics fan because of the name/logo/Irish connection but also because they were just a great, immensely charasmatic team.
    Miss all the players from that team, most obviously Larry Bird, but especially miss Denis Johnson, who died a few years ago.
    Love watching great point-guards, and he had everything; guts, leadership, great passer, great brain, sacrificed/didn't look to force his scoring, for the good of the team, but often led the team in scoring in huge playoff games when that was required.
    And he had led a Seattle Supersonics to a title before he ever came to Boston.
    Basically, a ludicrously underrated player; you rarely hear him mentioned amongst the all-time great point-guards, and he should be.
    At least he finally made the Hall of Fame, posthumously, a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,285 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I suppose this would be a good place to tell a story. I worked in a mall as an evening job to make some extra cash in Boston from 95 to 97. One night there were a couple of black guys who were swearing too loudly. This mall was very upper class and we were told to tell guys to keep it down if we heard this sort of stuff in a nice way. So I go up to these guys and ask them nicely and the guy who was loud says sorry and thanks me for being so nice.

Anyways one of the other guys comes running up to me and asks me what we were talking about and I told him what I done. Immediately he exclaims 'you f---ing legend!, you realise you just told John Starks of the New York Knicks to shut up.' I was a hero with all the Boston guys working there and was brought to a Celtic game for free the next week and they told everybody there too and we got bleacher seats when it got back to an official. Best seats I ever had for a Celtics game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Flancrest

It has to be Penny back in his Magic days. They were my team when I was growing up I still have loads of games recorded on vhs. I dig them out from time to time in the off season

Reggie - Knick Killer... :cool:

Flancrest wrote: »
    It has to be Penny back in his Magic days. They were my team when I was growing up I still have loads of games recorded on vhs. I dig them out from time to time in the off season

+1 on Penny. One of those players who you wonder what could have been had his career not been so affected by injury. He was definitely fun and so talented to watch though

Sea Devils wrote: »

+1 on Penny. One of those players who you wonder what could have been had his career not been so affected by injury. He was definitely fun and so talented to watch though

Few memories there - I was a big Magic/Shaq fan then (first year in secondary school) and, the #3 Highlight from that video against the Bulls, I had that game recorded on VHS and watched it a thousand times.

Shaq missed out at the last minute through injury and Hardaway just ran the show. Horace Grant (loved Grant) had an awesome game, hit several key mid-range jumpers and I think maybe had 20+ pts. Back then they called Grant 'the Glue' cos he held all those young stars (Shaq, Penny, Denis Scott, Nick Anderson) together.

Kukoc lost the handle on it for that last play and Penny stole it, made it down the court in about 2 seconds flat and dunked for the win. Unbelievable. Ye know, I hate to throw anything away, I bet I still have that tape in my shed somewhere.

I can't remember if Jordan had come back by then or not - I think not. He came back sometime that season and I know the Bulls lost to the Magic in one of his first games back - but I'm sure Shaq played that day so maybe the one above is a different game...

Funny, there's so much sports on TV now and with Sky Plus, internet streaming, NBA League pass etc etc you miss nothing... back then I would stay up late to wait for a match to start, press record, then head to bed and all the next day in school I'd be waiting to get home to watch the game - not knowing the score obviously. And I'd watch it over and over!

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Few memories there - I was a big Magic/Shaq fan then (first year in secondary school) and, the #3 Highlight from that video against the Bulls, I had that game recorded on VHS and watched it a thousand times.

Shaq missed out at the last minute through injury and Hardaway just ran the show. Horace Grant (loved Grant) had an awesome game, hit several key mid-range jumpers and I think maybe had 20+ pts. Back then they called Grant 'the Glue' cos he held all those young stars (Shaq, Penny, Denis Scott, Nick Anderson) together.

Kukoc lost the handle on it for that last play and Penny stole it, made it down the court in about 2 seconds flat and dunked for the win. Unbelievable. Ye know, I hate to throw anything away, I bet I still have that tape in my shed somewhere.

I can't remember if Jordan had come back by then or not - I think not. He came back sometime that season and I know the Bulls lost to the Magic in one of his first games back - but I'm sure Shaq played that day so maybe the one above is a different game...

Funny, there's so much sports on TV now and with Sky Plus, internet streaming, NBA League pass etc etc you miss nothing... back then I would stay up late to wait for a match to start, press record, then head to bed and all the next day in school I'd be waiting to get home to watch the game - not knowing the score obviously. And I'd watch it over and over!

hahah true

Just to back up my post about Clyde Drexler... check this out from the 1990 Finals... how about Clip #8 - remind you a bit of a certain legendary MJ Finals moment?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭joey mich

lebron james

• Registered Users Posts: 38,285 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I miss the almost unstoppable partnership of John Stockton and the mailman from the mid to late nineties. Very unfortunate to never win a title for the Jazz back then. If there was no Michael Jordan I think they would have won a couple.

Oh wait I miss Michael Jordan so much, just so awesome. Never seen anybody like him in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I liked the Golden State Warriors in the early 90s and in Chris Mullin they had a star shooting forward. For a lefty he had a sweet jump shot. He was joined by Tim Hardaway and Chris Richmond and together they became known as RUN TMC.

They tore up defense's with their free style of play and in one game against Denver hit 99 points between them. Mullin was prone to injury and Hardaway's killer crossover was quick as lightning. Pity their defense never recipricated with their offensive prowess. Mullin for me was an honest player, tried hard and had a sweet shot that he could knock down from down town.

More here on this trio.....

Hardaway had one ugly shot.

finisklin wrote: »
    I liked the Golden State Warriors in the early 90s and in Chris Mullin they had a star shooting forward. For a lefty he had a sweet jump shot. He was joined by Tim Hardaway and Chris Richmond and together they became known as RUN TMC.

They tore up defense's with their free style of play and in one game against Denver hit 99 points between them. Mullin was prone to injury and Hardaway's killer crossover was quick as lightning. Pity their defense never recipricated with their offensive prowess. Mullin for me was an honest player, tried hard and had a sweet shot that he could knock down from down town.

Hardaway had one ugly shot.

Ahhhh yes, now you're talking. This is my era... Although it was Mitch Richmond who was the 'M' in RunTMC, not chris...

Hardaway was a fantastic entertainer. I remember how perturbed he was by Allen Iverson's crossover when Iverson first came into the L. He claimed (as did a lot of people, with some merit) that Iverson 'palmed' the ball when executing his crossover and that it couldn't hold a candle to his own (Hardaway's) killer crossover.

Mullin was iron tough and had plenty of talent too. Was he on the original Dream Team? or maybe Dream Team 2?

And Richmond went on to be the Sacremento Kings' franchise player. He was awesome - often earning the label 'the poor man's MJ'.

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    I liked the Golden State Warriors in the early 90s and in Chris Mullin they had a star shooting forward. For a lefty he had a sweet jump shot. He was joined by Tim Hardaway and Mitch Richmond and together they became known as RUN TMC.

Funny you mention that Denver game, Both teams combined for 320 points. There's definitely not much of a chance that something like that would happen these days. :D

But you're dead right about Mullin. Whenever I think about a gym rat he's one of the first players that comes to mind. Still don't understand why Mitch Ritchmond was traded thus breaking it up though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Richmond was turned into Webber for Sacramento, one of the best trades I can remember. Not old enough to have seen Richmond play, have only seen highlights and heard about him, but from what's said he was obviously a great player and scorer.

Advertisement