Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to take PC Monitor Repair?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of any people or places i could go to to have a PC monitor looked at ? It's an LG LCD i've been using for the past 3-4 years that starting acting up the past couple of days. A green hue appeared on the screen for a day and then it wouldn't turn on. Works now and again but it's unreliable so does anybody know anywhere i could get it looked at?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

This is almost certainly failed capacitors on the PSU, if you are handy with a soldering iron you could probably fix it for a couple of euros.

http://www.lcd-repair-review.com/bulging-capacitor

I've done this repair on my own monitors including the one I’m using right now and monitors for friends and family and it's simple to do if you take your time and watch what you are doing.

Search for a repair guide for your monitor or one similar there are some really great guides on the net. Even if you can’t find a guide for your monitor the failed capacitors are usually obviously bulging or leaking.

Make sure the replacements are of the same microfarad rating this is very important I.E. replace a 220 μF with another 220 μF you can safely go up a notch or two on the voltage I.E. you can replace a 220 μF 15volt capacitor with a 220 μF 30 volt one. Finally be sure the correct polarity is observed when installing the new ones this is marked by a stripe on the side and sometimes also on the PCB.

Give it a go you will be well chuffed with yourself if you can fix your own monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

There's a new place in Salthill, beside the aquarium. Can't remember the name but it's hard to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Iv always found the Lap-tech place beside the Hole in the Wall pub to be decent , had to replace my laptop screen there recently & they did a perfect job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

No experience with a soldering iron redshift so wouldn't be confident in doing it myself.
    Lapteck couldn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

happened my monitor before...it was the graphics card that was gone in the computer !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement