Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting yourself during PGDE

• 21-08-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I've asked a similar question in the general thread but I thought I'd start a new thread to get some more feedback.

How do you support yourself while doing the full time PGDE? I can't work out how anyone can pay close to 6 grand for the course, do an unpaid placement in the morning, go to college in the afternoon, do college assignments and school prep in the evening and still work the hours to earn enough money to pay rent food etc etc.

I know there is a student grant but isn't that just for paying the fees? Do most people live at home during this year? Do you just have to find the time to work somehow? I'd really appreciate other peoples' advice and experiences as I have to apply for everything soon and need to do some serious planning.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

With the sign up fee, I was lucky. I was in a minor accident a few years ago and when I got my payout, I put it all in the bank with the intentions of putting it down as the fee.

As for the rest, I live with my parents who are kind enough not to ask for rent. I know that may be a strange concept for some in modern day Ireland, but I think my lucky stars I have a mother who is happier making sure I can do the course I want rather than trying to get as much money out of me as possible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

There is a grant for maintenance but it's means tested - speak to the local authority issuing your grant.
    I guess you know which school you're going to be in by now but depending on the type of school it is there could be money to be made from supervision there.
    Generally, the more difficult schools will have a higher absentee rate therefore they'll have a greater need for supervision on your typical rainy, flu-season, midweek November morning.
    At any rate, don't bank on what I'm saying here - there are always local variations - sometimes pleasant, sometimes not so pleasant - but there would be no harm in indicating your willingness to the principal/DP to sub/super should it be necessary.
    That goes for other areas of school life, too: try, as much as possible to get involved in the extra-curricular life of the school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I lectured at night in a 3rd level private college which paid well - but yes, it is tiring. However the pdge is not as manically busy as some make out - unless the school are completely ignorant and demand loads out of you - my school just asked me to do the 7 hours required and I didn't have to do any extra supervision etc - mind you, I did have a very small baby too. But to be honest, it was mainly thanks to my husband's income that got us through the year.

Sorry, don't know if this is any help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Don't forget if you're paying the fee out of your own pocket/or somebody else is paying it for you, you get 20% back in tax up to €5000 per tax yearSeeing as the fee will be paid over two tax years, you will get 20% of the entire fee of €6530 or whatever it is this year.

Importantly, if somebody else is paying the fee for you - e.g. parent, partner, etc - they can still claim that tax back (and reduce your debt to them accordingly).

Tax Relief for Tuition Fees in respect of Third Level education - IT 31 (and application form)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Celephais

I'm just gonna work weekends, and accept that it's going to be a pretty **** year. Can't wait! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

You will get into the swing of things and will be well able to work weekends and possibly pick up a few free classes during the year (more difficult this year with all the low hour jobs advertised). I came in at 8 and supervised the locker rooms but again this might be cut. The dip is tough because youre living as half student half (unpaid) professional but its very much doable. Just dont listen to the drama queens and moaners and it wont be too bad. Good luck!

Advertisement