Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tune ever made?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Penguin Cafe Orchestra: Perpetuum Mobile?
    Its been used over and over again by different artists without losing any of its unbelievable-ness.

Some examples:
    Music For A Found Harmonium,
    Steve Mac: Paddy's Revenge,
    Avicii: Penguin (and Fade Into Darkness),
    Leona Lewis/ Avicii: Collide.

I would VERYYY highly recommend listening to all those songs btw.

And does anyone know where Perpetuum Mobile originated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nah.

And judging by that list, I don't ever want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I'm waiting for...

beadleabout3001_468x356.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTv5Cl2lE3oz95YngrKasE--ppqcE9Oli8l2J3-oBTgPxc2wvcvbA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

No this is the best song ever!

Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke and One Direction haven't covered it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GaryB94

Any ideas on what is then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

its too broad of a question. just because a tune has been used over and over again by different artists does not make it the "best tune ever made".

how is it decided ? popularity, sales, plays...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Without question it's got to be .....

and here's why.......

or in a nutshell......

:cool: It's all relative!

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Without question it's got to be .....

and here's why.......

or in a nutshell......

:cool: It's all relative!

I suppose its been used more than the one I mentioned, but I'm talking about tunes that never ever get old, ones that give you goosebumps every time you listen to them.

its too broad of a question. just because a tune has been used over and over again by different artists does not make it the "best tune ever made".

how is it decided ? popularity, sales, plays...

I never said it was the best, its just my opinion.
    And Perpetuum Mobile is fairly unknown, because its only now getting to the pop music industry, whereas up until now it was only used in classical music and by an up and coming DJ (Avicii). So it doesn't have much popularity or sales, but from what I've heard, almost everyone that has listened to it loves it.

GaryB94 wrote: »
    I suppose its been used more than the one I mentioned, but I'm talking about tunes that never ever get old, ones that give you goosebumps every time you listen to them.

More than just 'been used more' George Coleman's 6 second drum break from Amen Brother spawned whole genres of music resulting in multiple artists/DJ-producers making a mark in the music world and cementing their place in music history!

For those reasons,I offer imho, The Winstons - Amen Brother as been without question "The best tune ever made" (as your thread title suggested).

I suppose others might (going on my rhetoric) say that the first symphony ever played was the best tune ever as it was the first musical peice and all that has come since owes to it........and in theory they'd be right,but, I'm answering with the above going on my personal feelings towards the influence of the Amen break.

To go off on the tangent you have sprung on us .....

the tune that gives me goosebumps and never gets old....

..... and here's one that i've no doubt I'll still be enjoying as much in 20 years time.

but thats just on the 'goosebumps' factor :D .......... my original suggestion still stands "The Winstons - Amen Brother" - Legendary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Dunno about "Best" tune, but given the amount of spinoffs, remakes using this one from 1987...

Dont think Amen Brother is the "Best" tune ever made either, one of the most important perhaps in the electronic music category though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

GaryB94 wrote: »

Loads of tunes.

Anyone who can pick a "best tune ever" hasn't listened to enough music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Jimmy Somerville all the way

was.deevey wrote: »
    Dont think Amen Brother is the "Best" tune ever made either, one of the most important perhaps in the electronic music category though.

Yeah,I'd agree with you there,"best tune ever" is a bad title (I got where he was coming from though) a better term "most important" by virtue of it's influence & impact on music,certainly in terms of Ragga,Breakbeat,Hardcore,Jungle,DnB & Hip Hop/Rap.

tbh I think the thread is null & void as the OP gave us a "best tune ever" opening but it turns out it was aiming for "goosebumps" factor!

Ravels Balero gives me goosbumps, Pavarotti's Nessun Dorma too, as does The Fureys lonesome boatman,Fleetwood Mac's Albetross,ACDC's Thunderstruck,Dire Straits Brothers in arms and several other 'tunes' from several other genres but in relation to this forum,for me it's Renegade Snares.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I do love that penguin cafe orchestra song tho, beautiful piano melody

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Jimmy Somerville all the way

Wow, I'm so happy that someone else recognizes how great this track is. It has stuck in my head since my childhood but it was only a couple of years ago that I actually found out what it was. There is something special about it.

Also +1 on Blind Faith by Chase and Status. There is somthing timeless about that track too and I already now that I will always enjoy listening back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Wow, I'm so happy that someone else recognizes how great this track is. It has stuck in my head since my childhood but it was only a couple of years ago that I actually found out what it was. There is something special about it.

Jimmy Somerville is some man altogether. I guess we could credit him with starting off the warehouse rave scene too :)

What a song; brilliant lyrics and its fairly important in the history of music but the point or this thread is to get your opinion on the best TUNE you've ever heard (would it be better if I said 'background music'?). I didn't mean 'tune' as in a whole song, just the music itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement