Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cats really aren't getting along

• 21-08-2011 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Outsie is a female adult loving cat who we took in last December during the snow. She is very affectionate to humans but does not seem to like my cat. She doesn’t go provoking him but she has given him a slap or two even though he doesn’t go near her (only by accident) and he is actually quite scared. All she does for most of the day is sit on the couch beside me waiting for rubs, this does not seem like a problem I know, but the issue is that my cat doesn’t come into the sitting room anymore to watch TV and chill with us. He used to sit beside me like Outsie does now and be very affectionate but he cannot relax with her around.

We have been trying to make them both happy for the last 8 months but my cat is still very nervous around her and they just do not get along, and so, we need to find her a loving home. I am not sure if her problem is my cat in particular or cats in general but she is NOT aggressive by any stretch, I think it might be a clash of personalities.

I think she would suit someone looking for a quiet, affectionate, extremely purry and in constant need of rubs animal friend. She does not need or want to go outside so her new owner will not have to worry about her going missing. I welcome any cat lover to come to visit us and spend some time with her to see if you would like to take her with you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Robinwood

You really want to give away your cat ? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Outsnkat

No, to be honest, but my other cat has always been one way since we got him 4 years ago, now, since we took in cat number 2, he is scared and hiding most of the time, he doesnt even let me near him alot of the time.
    What do I do? He obviously is jealous and feels that his territory is being invaded. Its been 8 months and the situation has not changed. Any suggestions? Can I help them bond in any way? I tried playing with them both but they dont want to know about it, one is not bothered, the other one is scared. I feel responsible and I cant just ignore this, or can I? Will they just get used to each other? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Outsnkat

Might I add:
    • We introduced them gradually (Outsie lived Outside -hence the name :) - for a good 4 months before we took her in during the crazy snow we had last december. No slaps were given/received during this time, they werent exactly playful with each other but there was no obvious signs of hatred either.
    • She stays downstairs (most of the time) while my other cat is mostly usptairs, hiding.
    • They initially had separate litters - both cats eventually started using either litter so now they share one and they dont seem to care/mind
    • They have different food bolws and we feed them treats (wet food or the occasional bit of milk or tuna) separately as Outsie would bully Kitty away and/or gobble her food real fast and then push Kitty away to finish (steal) his share
    • We try to treat them equally at all times
    Other than that I dont know what else I could do to help them get along. I want my old playful and loving cat back. Sometimes I think giving Outsie another loving home would be the solution as she seems to be happy with anyone that will rub her head and Kitty is obviously in distress with her around.

Advertisement