Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Article in todays Observer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

"Tesco is launching four of the most popular – Blue Moon, Goose Island, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Brooklyn – at 750 stores across the UK"

Ahhh.. When did all these become "craft lagers" ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

JnarF wrote: »
    "Tesco is launching four of the most popular – Blue Moon, Goose Island, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Brooklyn – at 750 stores across the UK"

Ahhh.. When did all these become "craft lagers" ???

I agree they're not craft beers per se but a damn sight better (apart from Blue Moon) than the usual industrial fare.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I agree they're not craft beers per se but a damn sigth better (apart from Blue Moon) than the usual industrial fare.

Why all the ragging on blue moon? Sure, it's not the nicest beer ever, but they're at least trying something a bit different.

Why all the ragging on blue moon? Sure, it's not the nicest beer ever, but they're at least trying something a bit different.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ahhh.. When did all these become "craft lagers" ???

I think the issue here is the use of the word 'lager' rather than the word 'craft'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

I think the issue here is the use of the word 'lager' rather than the word 'craft'.

A little from column A and a little from column B!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It may be nice to some (I think it's average), but I wouldn't have a beer owned by Coors down as "craft".

The reason I posted it was I thought that lovers of decent beers on this forum would be interested that sales of non mainstream beers were going up forget about the terminology.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Zebra3 wrote: »

It may be nice to some (I think it's average), but I wouldn't have a beer owned by Coors down as "craft".

Can a large firm not produce a small run craft beer using craft beer methods?

If the people behind blue moon were independent brewers until they were taken over by coors, at what point did they cease to e a craft beer, assuming they maintained the same processes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If the people behind blue moon were independent brewers until they were taken over by coors, at what point did they cease to e a craft beer, assuming they maintained the same processes?

The day they sold out. :)

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    The day they sold out. :)

Right. So the prejudice is nothing to do with the taste, the technique, the ingredients or the overall product, but simply because a big firm makes a profit out of it?

OK, it is highly commendable that there are a lot of small time producers trying to get in on the market, but the reality is that some of the best drinks in the world are made by the big firms, because they have the time and the money to invest in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Blue Moon was never an independent brewery. The Blue Moon Brewing Co is just a brand name that Coors came up with so as to not associate the beer with other Coors products.

Coors own a microbrewery in the Coors Field baseball stadium, the original Blue Moon recipe came out of this brewery. However once it went mainstream Blue Moon has always been brewed in their macro breweries.

I have no problem with Blue Moon if it provides a bit more choice in pubs. I'm not a fan though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I really, really hope Tesco start selling Sierra Nevada and Goose Island etc cause it's far too expensive to buy in Maynooth otherwise.

"Craft beer" or not, Blue Moon is still stinkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Right. So the prejudice is nothing to do with the taste, the technique, the ingredients or the overall product, but simply because a big firm makes a profit out of it?

OK, it is highly commendable that there are a lot of small time producers trying to get in on the market, but the reality is that some of the best drinks in the world are made by the big firms, because they have the time and the money to invest in them.

I remember being in a town in Derbyshire a few years back and you could get some kind of special ale brewed by Bass for the local market. Damn that stuff was awesome.

Blue Moon was never an independent brewery. The Blue Moon Brewing Co is just a brand name that Coors came up with so as to not associate the beer with other Coors products.

Coors own a microbrewery in the Coors Field baseball stadium, the original Blue Moon recipe came out of this brewery. However once it went mainstream Blue Moon has always been brewed in their macro breweries.

The point being, if they were an independent brewery. There is an element whereby craft beers being produced by smaller brewers are presumed to be better, much like organic food by small farmers. But surely large scale operations can make just as good if not better stuff if they apply the same methods?
    I have no problem with Blue Moon if it provides a bit more choice in pubs. I'm not a fan though.

Each to their own, based on taste. But I'm not sure it should be dismissed because it is owned by Coors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Simply put Coors are been very lazy and making a spice slapper of a beer, they dont bother with a decent Beligan yeast and "try" to make up the flavor profile with orange peel and spice.

Its Just pure lazy,there are plenty of american wheat beer out and could have easily called it an Anerican Wit or white, but the wanted the quality mark of calling or suggest its from the same pedigree as other beligan beers which its not in any shape.

Confederation of Belgian Breweries have fave forced them to change it "Blue Moon is a 'Belgian-Style' beer and not an authentic Belgian beer.

As for goose-island was bought out by AB InBev, but they intend to still run it was a craft brewery

Like most people I'd rather support a small business (irish if possible) than a multinational but at the end of the day its about quality and flavour, if Heineken, Carlsberg and Coors had beers in pubs as good as Brooklyn, O' Haras, Sierra Nevada, Brewdog, Galway Hooker, Porterhouse etc I'd be drinking them but they don't. I love Guinness Foreign Extra for instance and thats made by a multinational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love Guinness Foreign Extra for instance and thats made by a multinational.

Yes but they don't masquerade behind a fictitious 'Craft Brewery'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

irish_goat wrote: »
    "Craft beer" or not, Blue Moon is still stinkin.
    Do they really serve with a slice of orange as in the guardian picture?

Any beer that needs a sirup or bit of fruit or other gimmick to be considered palatable has failed before its even started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Any beer that needs a sirup or bit of fruit or other gimmick to be considered palatable has failed before its even started.

Never tried a German berliner weisse then ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

oblivious wrote: »
    Simply put Coors are been very lazy and making a spice slapper of a beer, they dont bother with a decent Beligan yeast and "try" to make up the flavor profile with orange peel and spice.

Maybe so but it tastes better than Hoegaarden.
    oblivious wrote: »
    Confederation of Belgian Breweries have fave forced them to change it "Blue Moon is a 'Belgian-Style' beer and not an authentic Belgian beer.

Groups like that are just out to protect vested interests and stifle innovation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Do they really serve with a slice of orange as in the guardian picture?

It's done in some places but you'd probably find that most bars don't stock oranges simply because they never normally need them.

Oils from citrus fruits normally kill the head, can't stand it when bartenders put lemon or lime into a Hoegaarden without asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Maybe so but it tastes better than Hoegaarden

Much prefare Hoegaarden over Bluemoon. Hoegaarden's a pretty decent wit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Speaking of Hoegaarden - isn't it owned by Anheuser Busch?

To be honest I don't think Blue Moon (or Hoegaarden for that matter) are 'terrible' beers. I'm not a fan of either, or the style in general, but as drinks they have their adherents. I think the question is whether or not there is a genuine issue around whether or not Molson Coors are somehow 'misrepresenting' the product in order to penetrate the craft beer market under false pretences. TBH I have no strongly held opinion on that.

Blue Moon probably does act as a 'gateway' for a certain amount of drinkers into trying other wit style beers, which are independently brewed. In the U.S, at least, where it appears more ubiquitous.

Speaking of Hoegaarden - isn't it owned by Anheuser Busch?

Think it's part of Heineken.

I think the question is whether or not there is a genuine issue around whether or not Molson Coors are somehow 'misrepresenting' the product in order to penetrate the craft beer market under false pretences. TBH I have no strongly held opinion on that.

Me neither. I don't care who describes their products as "craft"

Much prefare Hoegaarden over Bluemoon. Hoegaarden's a pretty decent wit.

I'm happy to drink it too but I prefer the fuller flavour and body of blue moon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope, A-B InBev.

A-B Inbev

edit....should have read the rest of the thread, I was beaten to it!!!!:-)

I'm happy to drink it too but I prefer the fuller flavour and body of blue moon.

I felt you were knocking hoegaarden in your previous post thats why i replied. For some reason I tend to always stick up for Hoegaarden. I feel it gets unfairly knocked too often. It was the 1st non lager beer I ever had when i was about 20 and opened my eyes to the fact there was other styles out there. Although I much prefare stouts and American IPAs, Hoegaarden has a place close to my heart I must admit! Regarding Blue Moon, it's rebadged as a different beer where I live and as wits go, it's just not for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

That's the first thing that struck me when I read this article. They could at least have gotten the terminology right :/

re : Blue Moon, i'm not sure what to think of it. On the one hand, their branding plot is really lame and they are clearly trying to hop on the current trend. And when I found out who brewed it, I felt slightly cheated.

On the other hand, it's a good summer beer, not very subtle but still enjoyable. And I do believe that beer should not be limited to Reinheitsgebot-approved stuff. Spices, fruits and other unusual ingredients can create a great, original beer.

Ultimately, this article is about "big brands starting to realize that some people are sick of the usual watery lagery crap". Somehow, Coors brewing Blue Moon is a small step towards a wider availabiliy of nice beers. And yes, I can clearly see it being a "gateway beer" - if 1 out of 10 drinkers of Blue Moon ends up falling in love with microbrews, then it's a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

its a move in the right direction.

I'm known for drinking funny or strange beers when out.

The more funny beers the better i say

(in moderation of course:D)

Advertisement