Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Replace Bulb Bathroom Cabinet

• 21-08-2011 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

We have a Cassa bathroom cabinet with mirror that has two lights above. It looks similar to this light with the outer ring and an inner ring with glass cover and a little light bulb inside lying horizontally:

See light 3/4 of way down this page: http://www.taps4less.ie/PP/U-LQ373.html

I can pull the entire "can" out by putting my nail under the outer ring, but that still doesn't give me access to the bulb as this back is sealed. I'm afraid to push or pull the smaller inner ring around the glass cover anymore than I already have (without movement) in case it should break, but a B&Q staffer said he "thought" I'd just push and turn to open. He must have thought it was a vertical type bulb. Can anyone adivise how to open these? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

GearMaven wrote: »
    We have a Cassa bathroom cabinet with mirror that has two lights above. It looks similar to this light with the outer ring and an inner ring with glass cover and a little light bulb inside lying horizontally:

See light 3/4 of way down this page: http://www.taps4less.ie/PP/U-LQ373.html

I can pull the entire "can" out by putting my nail under the outer ring, but that still doesn't give me access to the bulb as this back is sealed. I'm afraid to push or pull the smaller inner ring around the glass cover anymore than I already have (without movement) in case it should break, but a B&Q staffer said he "thought" I'd just push and turn to open. He must have thought it was a vertical type bulb. Can anyone adivise how to open these? Thanks.

There should be a ring just under the bulb. Squeeze the two litre tabs on that together and it will come out. You will then have to turn the bulb with your fingers and it should the come out for you. Hope this helps you out and if I am correct that is a GU10 light fitting in your cabinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

is there a transformer on the top or the back of the cabinet, cause they look like cabinet downlighters that take a g4 capsule lamp. if you get someting small and sharp under the inner ring that surrounds the glass, it should pop off the glass exsposing the bulb.
    failing that try twisting the glass anti-clockwise with some rubber gloves on for grip

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭GearMaven

There should be a ring just under the bulb. Squeeze the two litre tabs on that together and it will come out.
    Thank you, but I can only see the bulb through glass that I yet don't know how to remove.

is there a transformer on the top or the back of the cabinet, cause they look like cabinet downlighters that take a g4 capsule lamp. if you get something small and sharp under the inner ring that surrounds the glass, it should pop off the glass exsposing the bulb.
    failing that try twisting the glass anti-clockwise with some rubber gloves on for grip
    No transformer on top and can't see the back of cabinet (against bathroom wall); I'll try to slip something under that ring trying not to scratch the finish. I've tried to turn but not moving with gentle pressure; afraid I'll break it if press harder. But will try again if popping ring doesn't work. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi See attached,
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Thanks. I'm on the hunt for the really slender pointee thing, as nothing I have tried so far can slip into that space without really scratching both inner and outer rings. Will persevere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73570283
    if you can push a small screwdriver through (image 3 in this thread)it will pop outer cover
    be extremely careful as the glass is fragile
    also
    try a tweezers or the point off the kids compass set to remove inner ring

Advertisement