Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reading suggestions for 7-9 year old?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

looking for reading suggestions for my son who is going on 7, his reading age is a little higher though. He has just finished the 4th Harry Potter book (which he couldnt put down) but I think the rest are more geared for older kids. I tried an Artimis Fowl book but it didnt grab him. His other favourites are the Astrosaurs series.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Enid Blyton books - Famous Five, Secret Seven, etc.
    Goosebumps.
    Roald Dahl - plenty to choose from there too.

Bring him to your local library and let him browse and see what he likes.

[mod note]Can you please not use Parenting forum acronyms such as DS etc. I've edited your post accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭James Jones

silverharp wrote: »
    looking for reading suggestions for my son who is going on 7, his reading age is a little higher though. He has just finished the 4th Harry Potter book
    Bring him to the local library and let him make his own selection from the section where the Harry Potter books are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Micheal Murporgo books are excellent, and the material would be age appropriate. My favourites would be "When the whales came" and"The wreck of the Zanzibar " but there is a huge range.The book people had a boxed set earlier in the summer,great value.

Would the Skulduggery Pleasant series appeal ?
    The Liam Farrell series like "The true story of the big bad wolf" are great fun and a good way of introducing the idea of two sides to every story.
    http://www.liamfarrellstoryteller.com/thebooks.htm

The Diary of a Killer Cat – Anne Fine
    Charlotte’s Web – E. B. White
    A Series of Unfortunate Events (Series) Lemony Snicket (Not a fan myself, but many children love them)
    Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (Series) Rick Riordan (love these myself!!)

It might also be a good idea to try some poetry books too.

I dislike Roald Dahl and even though I loved Enid Blyton as a child,it's important to explain to children that they were written in a different time and discuss the stereotypes in both authors' books.

Edited to add: have a look at the resource section here and find the suggested reading lists
    http://www.childrensbooksireland.ie/index.php?option=com_news_portal&Itemid=240

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

what about michael scott books

the Nicholas Flamel books 1-5 number 6 is yet to be released....

http://www.goodreads.com/series/45732-the-secrets-of-the-immortal-nicholas-flamel

can be got in any good book shop....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Alchmyst series might be a bit scary for this age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 gems1183

theres series of books called choose your own adventure basically you start the story and make a choice to make your own ending. i know i'm not explaining them very well but i know myself and my sister loved them and my own niece enjoyed them as well. they were available on amazon and there were lots of different adventures

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

His read Harry potter, I don't think they are scary at all..... Having read Harry potter and nicolas flamel series I find them very similar.

Oh the emerald atlas isn't that good, my 11 year old had a few weird dreams after reading it, she thought it was ok.... I gave up on page 100 couldn't get into it...

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/2275/

Percy Jackson and the lightening thief .... Or Alex Rider series, storm breaker and so on....

I dislike Roald Dahl and even though I loved Enid Blyton as a child,it's important to explain to children that they were written in a different time and discuss the stereotypes in both authors' books.

You could apply that to a lot of disney crap too :)

iirc Enid Blyton was updated to remove a lot of the stereotypes and behaviour (such as spanking). Don't know about Roald Dahl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Orion wrote: »
    You could apply that to a lot of disney crap too :)

iirc Enid Blyton was updated to remove a lot of the stereotypes and behaviour (such as spanking). Don't know about Roald Dahl.

What steryptypes were in his books?:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

My nephew really liked the Cressida Cowell - Horrendous Hiccup books. He's now into Darren Shan but I'm guessing that he would be a bit young yet for him.

I was the same when I was younger - I would read everything and anything, my lifesaver was the library I would go each week and get 6 books each time - heaven - still love it now:D

• Advertisement

Orion, agree re Disney, the whole girls have to be princesses thing drives me mad. As to Dahl, "baddies" in his books seemed to be defined by their physical appearance more than their actions. They are fat, gangly, short, awkward, have warts, etc.

You find that in a lot of kids books/films not just Dahl. In Spiderwick the bad guy is an ugly sob. In all fantasy books the evil doers are trolls, orcs,etc. In Harry Potter the nasty house is represented by a snake and Voldemort has no face. It's a very common theme and not a reason not to read a book.

It's unavoidable so it just means that it's important to educate the children. My daughters told me the other day not to judge a book by its cover. Lesson learned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Since he loves Harry Potter he might like The Golden Compass:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Lemony Snicket.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Redwall - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall

It's a book where badgers are knights, mice are bakers, otters are rivermen, and all the "bad" creatures (snakes, rats, etc) are the evil ones in the books.

I started reading them around 8, to maybe 14 or 15. At the time, I really loved the books. Each one is about 200-300 pages long, and are thoroughly enjoyable!

The Philip Pullman books can be very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

My dad got me "The Bromeliad Trilogy" by Terry Pratchett when I was about 7 which i loved, and would still read on occasion. I started reading Pratchett's Discworld books when I was 9 then afterwards but some of them are a bit risque.

I would also recommend Skullduggery Pleasant as a great read!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

the narnia books maybe?
    I read them at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Try some of the Fighting Fantasy choose your own adventure books by Ian Livingstone, encourage the drawing of a map!.

Beast Quest is always a good option, there are millions of them and they are "safe" while being the subject of many schoolyard debates as to whether Arcta would beat Tagus the horseman etc.

The Rover Adventures - Roddy Doyle - lots of out loud sniggering

The Wierdstone of Brisengamen & the Moon of Gomrath by Alan Garner

The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper - fantastic read
    Horrid Henry

The Hobbit Graphic Novel

Gareth Nix has a few very good series - Keys to the kingdom is good for younger kids, Sabriel series may be a bit dark for younger kids but is a good read for older kids/adults

"Fact Books" - 7 year olds are always in need of facts

Stay away from joke books for the sake of your own sanity, having "the ultimate 3000 funny jokes" explained could result in you banning books forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ddlong

Captain Underpants
    Horrid Henry
    Diary of a Wimpy Kid
    Beast Quest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Cows in action by Steve Cole

The Ter-moo-nator
    The Moo-mys Curse
    The Roman Moo-stery
    The Wild West Moo-nster
    World War Moo
    The Battle Of Christmoos
    The Pirate Moo-tiny

Lily Quench by Natalie Jane Prior

Lily Quench and the Dragon of Ashby
    Lily Quench and the Black Mountains
    Lily Quench and the Treasure of Mote Ely
    Lily Quench and the Lighthouse of Skellig Mor
    Lily Quench and the Magicians' Pyramid
    Lily Quench and the Hand of Manuelo
    Lily Quench and the Search for King Dragon

Don't forget to get him/her signed up with the local library :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Gary Paulsen's Hatchet was one I loved at that age.

Would second the suggestions of going to the Library.

If you're giving him the Narnia Chronicles, The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman would be a good counter-balance to their overtly religious themes.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Roald Dahl all whe way - such wonderful tales - each & every one
    I'd suggest you start with Danny the Champion of the World - a wonderful story of a boys relationship with his dad, full of twists & turns - really Dahl can't be beaten for this age group

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Christopher Paolini - Eragon series

David Eddings starting with The Belgariad Series

Pure Dead series by Debi Gliori - really funny reading.

Most things by Diana Wynne-Jones

Terry Brooks' Shannara series - The older ones would be more child friendly.

Fantasy books are excellent for children because they do the whole good and evil thing and make it evident that evil doers never prosper. :D

Advertisement