Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOS to android

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm going to move away from iPhone to the android market and thinking of getting myself a galaxy s2 sim free. Had my iPhone jailbroken but I've no clue about rooting and kernels when it comes to android.

Could someone provide me with a few good links to where I could get my teeth stuck into learning this stuff??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Could someone provide me with a few good links to where I could get my teeth stuck into learning this stuff??

The Android forum would be a good start. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Why would you need to root it? You need to jailbreak an iPhone to make it half useful, but Android is open enough by default that you don't need to root it in the vast majority of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

blaz wrote: »
    Why would you need to root it? You need to jailbreak an iPhone to make it half useful, but Android is open enough by default that you don't need to root it in the vast majority of cases.

I'll give you one big reason
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bigtincan.android.adfree

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Great, I am sure all the developers that depend on ad income will be very grateful.

• Advertisement

blaz wrote: »
    Great, I am sure all the developers that depend on ad income will be very grateful.

I don't buy from silly little ads I get on mobile media, they're not losing out on any income. I'd prefer not to see them, its my phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

just like if you use firefox,and use adblock.
    whats the problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

The problem with that is that those in-app ads provide a payment to the developer - in a lot of places, it's the ONLY way the dev has of getting paid for their work. If a considerable number of people block them, the developers' ad-revenue will drop, and developers will move to other platforms.

Most successful mobile apps are written by full-time developers, and a lot of them are simple one- and two-person outfits. It's no money-machine either: I have a friend who writes a very popular app on iPhone; the income just about supports himself and his wife, but he'd probably make more as a contractor to a bank. And that's on a platform where most of the users will pay for their software...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I don't buy from silly little ads I get on mobile media, they're not losing out on any income. I'd prefer not to see them, its my phone

You don't have to, a developer can get paid per display and per click of an advert within their application.

By blocking adverts you are essentially stealing their work.

I assume that you would expect to be paid for whatever work you do? So why don't developers?

draffodx wrote: »
    You don't have to, a developer can get paid per display and per click of an advert within their application.

By blocking adverts you are essentially stealing their work.

I assume that you would expect to be paid for whatever work you do? So why don't developers?

Once again, its my phone, I'll install what I want.
    Its the same as flicking channel on TV when the ads appear, is that wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

I block them all too, have done from day one and will continue to do so. I buy the full version of any apps worth paying for. If the developers cant come up with an app that is worth 2eur then they are in the wrong game.
    A free version should be just that, a simple version of a more advanced app that is unlocked by paying for it.
    I don't want to see ads for local singles or some crap like that on my phone or pc so I block the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Paarse Krokodil

How common is adware among free android apps?

Was going to get an android phone but if the apps are all adware and rooting is a lot of trouble then do not want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

rooting is easy

Rooting takes seconds and is reversible

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

How common is adware among free android apps?

Was going to get an android phone but if the apps are all adware and rooting is a lot of trouble then do not want.

Rooting is relatively easy if you're comfortable with computers.

Android has a much lower portion of pre-paid apps than other platforms; most stuff is either ad-supported or free. By not providing good payment systems, Google discouraged devs offering software for sale (Google are a major provider of in-app advertising, so this was in their interest). This has improved a bit, though - with operator billing finally coming to Android, you might see a bit more "pay once, no ads" apps.

Personally, I hate ad-supported software. If something's worthwhile to me, I prefer to pay for it, and use it in peace without being interrupted and without needing to be online - a lot of adware won't run offline, because the ads are fetched from the net.

Advertisement