Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys I am going into computer science this year and I need to know what's the best laptop would it be my budget is 500 to 700.
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

In Computer Science the OS you will mainly use is Windows, and any interaction with Linux was done thru Putty so I don't recall needing any other OS, although for programming and the Operating Systems module I would advise downloading a Linux distro like Ubuntu.
    Tbh you don't really need a laptop for the course, most lecturers put notes up online, if you need a new laptop in general though ask over in Laptops for advice ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

These guys are pretty cheap - a tip keep it in pounds it works out better with the sterling price.

Stay away from Advent all I seen was problems with them - it is good to have your own laptop in an IT course though so you can practise your programming so I would advise getting one ASAP and installing Ubuntu and eclipse or netbeans maybe notepad++ to get you started and make sure and install java if it doesn't already have it on there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

To be honest you really don't really need one in first year

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Forgot to paste the link!

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/

Advertisement