Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Interview Tips

Options
  • 21-08-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Sorry If this is the wrong thread. I have my first Job interview this week and I'm soo nervous, I've never had a proper interview before. Its for a game store. Anyone got any tips on what to wear, hair/make up, what sort of questions I will be asked, what questions I should act, and how to come across as confident, I'm generally a quiet person with not a lot of confidence so I want to try come across as confident.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Destroyer666

Well you'd want to have a good idea about the current consoles on the market, but I wouldn't panic about the interview just be yourself and dont worry the interviewer .wont bite. When you get in there and start talking you'll be grand, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Gamestop is a customer facing retailer so come looking respectable. Clean hands, face and hair. Don't let hair cover your face, and look them in the eye and don't be afraid to smile.

As regards what you'll be asked, it'll be industry specific. So you'll have your consoles:

Wii: Nintendo's home console at the minute, has motion control built into the "wiimotes" which you play with. Geared towards casual games more than hardcore. Its successor has just been announced as Wii U with a slightly controversial screen in the new tablet controller.

X360: Microsoft's home console at the minute. Comes in slim and normal version, the different versions main difference is the size of the hard drive, which for slim are 4GB and 250GB and normal which is only 250GB at the minute (i think). This console WAS very prone to hardware failure and as such has had the warranty on the console extended to 3 years (alot of questions will be about insurance etc, this will help) and its signature telling sign was a red ring where the on button was (look up RROD).

PS3: Sony's home console at the minute. Comes in Slim and normal but normal should be phased out (as is the normal xbox). Again the difference is harddrive size. 160GB vs 320GB. Recent news about the PS3 would be the hacking scandal that took down PSN (PlayStation Network, sony's servers for people to play online and their online store to buy games) which was down for over a month.

DS: The DS, DSi, DSXL and 3DS are all versions of Nintendo's portable console which a touch screen. The 3DS is the first console to support 3D minus glasses. Is "supposedly" the reason for gaining more female and older gamers. If asked to recommend a console for the casual gamer, this would be it. Only the bottom screen is 3D and it is controlled via a slider on the side and there is warnings about letting children under a certain age (6?) use the 3D due to possible eye damage

PSP: Sony's portable console, uses the soon to be obsolete UMD format, as its successor the PSP Vita is due for a release end of this year, early next year.

Things you should probably know:
    360 and PS3 would probably be seen as the more hardcore systems with Nintendo strongly advocating a more casual approach.
    Games that are coming out soon and eagerly awaited (Gears3, Skyrim etc)
    Take the time to understand their bundle offers before you go in, it'll help.
    Age certs on game boxes are very important.

PSN/XBOX LIVE -> online gaming. PSN is free, LIVE is about €50 a year. Very popular at the moment, especially with FPS (first Person shooters eg Call of Duty) and Sports sims (Fifa)

How to recommend to a parent who is lost:
    Child is under 6? -> Wii/DS -> Any game with Mario
    Child is in teens and loves games -> point out X360/PS3 BUNDLES and latest releases
    Child likes X type of games -> find latest X type of game and recommend that.

And never, never bullsh1t about a game you've never played, trust me on this. If you don't know, say you don't know, they'll be far happier.

Hope some of that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Jess18

Thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement