Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tretinoin - what damage has been done?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

Hello, I have a question regarding the use of "Retin-A Gel 0.025%" (Tretinoin) acne cream.

My wife is pregnant. First day of her last period was 21st July. Conception could have only occurred between 26th - 31st July inclusive.

My wife applied Retin-A Gel to her face on the evenings (before sleep) of 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 24th, 25th July and on 19th August. She has not and will not use Retin-A Gel again during this pregnancy.

Incidentally, my wife had what she thought was a light period, for one day only, on 19th August. She is normally very regular and this would have been bang on time. However, on 20th August her period stopped. She took two home pregnancy tests and both are positive. We also saw a doctor, but not a gynaecologist as we are waiting for an appointment, who also confirmed the pregnancy.

Could any adverse effect have been caused to our unborn baby due to using Retin-A cream for one day whilst pregnant and for 5 days in the month prior to becoming pregnant? What about the one day only period that she had, even though she is pregnant? Thank you.

Oh, PS, my wife says she doesn't "feel" pregnant - not like she did with our first child anyway. No morning sickness, no being put-off particular foods. She says she just feels a bit nauseous and has tender breasts - but she says this is period feelings, not pregnant feelings.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Please consult your GP re the medication, medical advice can not be given here.

(the one day bleed could have been an implantation bleed)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement