Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Applications Advice

• 21-08-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Heya

NQT here. Have applied for any jobs over the summer for which I am qualified and have got nothing but a few rejection letters. This is hardly unsurprising given the number of teachers out of work and my lack of experience etc.

I just wanted to see if anyone had advice about the actual applications I am making.

On advertisements, you will often see

REQUIREMENTS:
    Letter of Application
    Referees (name, role, contact no.)
    CV (Unbound/Slide Binder)

Now often the letter of application I send is about 1 and 1/2 - 2 pages. Is this too long or excessive? What should feature in the letter of application?

When the advert asks for Referees like above, should I send that separate to my CV (which already includes my referees)?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

To many principals the opening letter is the most important. It should be professionally presented, give details of your qualifications/talents/what you will bring to the school. If your letter doesnt catch their attention then they may not even check your CV becuse most people applying will have the required qualifications its your extra individual bits that get you noticed.....and mey get you an interview. Good Luck !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Avery wrote: »
    Heya

NQT here. Have applied for any jobs over the summer for which I am qualified and have got nothing but a few rejection letters. This is hardly unsurprising given the number of teachers out of work and my lack of experience etc.

I just wanted to see if anyone had advice about the actual applications I am making.

On advertisements, you will often see

REQUIREMENTS:
    Letter of Application
    Referees (name, role, contact no.)
    CV (Unbound/Slide Binder)

Now often the letter of application I send is about 1 and 1/2 - 2 pages. Is this too long or excessive? What should feature in the letter of application?

When the advert asks for Referees like above, should I send that separate to my CV (which already includes my referees)?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

My letter is only ever 1/2 to 3/4s of a page. I got one interview this summer and got te job. It's hard to tell!

Advertisement