Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reseeding problem

• 21-08-2011 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hi all, we sprayed off a field 8 days ago, the problem is there was a lot off grass on it, we,re going to direct seed it. its around 6 acres and have 90 sheep on it, but there not grtting through it. i was wondering should i top it or would it be ok in a week. its patches of long grass, its not all long. all advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnboy6930

if there's too much grass the seeder will not be able the seed it correctly.what we would usually do is cut silage off the field and spray straight away. leave for ten days and direct seed it then.if there a lot of grass you could top it as low as possible and it should be alright then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

hi all, we sprayed off a field 8 days ago, the problem is there was a lot off grass on it, we,re going to direct seed it. its around 6 acres and have 90 sheep on it, but there not grtting through it. i was wondering should i top it or would it be ok in a week. its patches of long grass, its not all long. all advice welcome

I had the same problem - altho it was a misture of grass and weeds (ferns / thistles) We cut it with a mower, and then pushed it off into the ditch.

Is there any way you could get a few horses and stick em in with the sheep? They'd eat it down well in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Cut chain harrow the field. Pulling the chain harrow from each side of the field to the centre. Lift to drop off the thrash. Reverse and keep doing the same, until whole field. Push off the row of stuff you have gathered. Then harrow the entire field in the conventional way. You will be left with a bare, bare, bald field. I have done this pre power harrowing for conventional seeding. Almost zero thrash left in the seed bed.
    I'm sure it would make an excellent solution for your problem.

Advertisement