Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a decent provide for Aughinish, Co Galway?

• 21-08-2011 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭

....that isn't Airwire?

Aughinish is near Kinvara: does anyone know if fixed line broadband would be possible or if this Tooway crowd are any good?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is DSL in Kinvara but some of Aughinish is a fair bit out. Have you contacted Lighthouse ??

http://www.kinvara.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33&start=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is DSL in Kinvara but some of Aughinish is a fair bit out. Have you contacted Lighthouse ??

http://www.kinvara.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33&start=0

Thanks for that: trying to help a pal who is digitally-challenged and needs me to assist.The Airwire experience has been abysmal and it's time for him to shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I've used airwire (my only choice at the moment) for the last 3 months and all has been fine, if you don't mind me asking what issues did your friend have with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

funnyname wrote: »
    I've used airwire (my only choice at the moment) for the last 3 months and all has been fine, if you don't mind me asking what issues did your friend have with them?

Basically totally unreliable. Impossible to do much owing to slow speeds etc -YouTube, streaming all erratic.

Worst of all is updates: a 20 minute iOS update can take over two hours with the vast majority of updates failing just before the end, requiring a restart or a trip to Galway to a wifi-friendly zone to download and install.

I'm on my way down now to troubleshoot: in addition, have brought an external HD with Lion on it as a major OS upgrade such as that, weighing 3,8Gb, would be simply impossible on airwire.

An alternative seems impossible. Tooway are getting very bad comments on the mid and forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

I haven't found it too bad but we haven't really it that hard yet, will do when I get a chance. Really want a good service if I get the chance to work from home hence my question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement