Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timetables

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sports-girl93

Do the time tables change every week?? (general nursing first year)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not generally, though I wouldn't be sure re nursing. What happens is that its the same timetable for the first semester up until Christmas and then for the second semester, there are normally some changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

is cs up again teddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Babyblessed

The short answer is yes!

I would like to help but you need to wait and see what hospital you are allocated before I have half a chance of working your timetable out..... Are you doing gen? You best bet is to ask your peer supporter on the 9th. If you are doing mids, I have more of a chance of helping you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MariaBlaah

i take it that tutorials have yet to be added onto the timetables..? mine is pretty empty atm..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

MariaBlaah wrote: »
    i take it that tutorials have yet to be added onto the timetables..? mine is pretty empty atm..

Correct

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

MariaBlaah wrote: »

yeah, they'll be added in the weeks after you start - its trying to make sure there is a suitable time for everyone in the subject and that people aren't having to miss a lecture to go to a tutorial and vice versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

I thought for some/most/maybe all Arts 1 subjects that the timetables included the tutorials? Because if you take for example Politics, you have 74 hours of lectures and 22 hours of tutorials. If you then break that down at 4 hours a week for 24 weeks, 12 in eacch semester, you have a total amount of lectures and tutorials as stated in the Book of Modules. If the 4 hours of classes per week were simply lectures you would be doing more than 74 hours of lectures! But you only do 74 hours of lectures per academic year - in first year anyhow. Same goes for Religion, Sociology and Celtic Civilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aoi

marti8 wrote: »
    I thought for some/most/maybe all Arts 1 subjects that the timetables included the tutorials? Because if you take for example Politics, you have 74 hours of lectures and 22 hours of tutorials. If you then break that down at 4 hours a week for 24 weeks, 12 in eacch semester, you have a total amount of lectures and tutorials as stated in the Book of Modules. If the 4 hours of classes per week were simply lectures you would be doing more than 74 hours of lectures! But you only do 74 hours of lectures per academic year - in first year anyhow. Same goes for Religion, Sociology and Celtic Civilisation.

BA classes are big, the tutorials have maybe 20 people in them as far as I know, vs anything up to 300 in a class, so putting all of them on the timetable would severely complicate things..

Aoi wrote: »
    BA classes are big, the tutorials have maybe 20 people in them as far as I know, vs anything up to 300 in a class, so putting all of them on the timetable would severely complicate things..

I see what you are saying but if that is the case then something is seriously wrong because the Book of Modules state that you have for various subjects, on the BA syllabus, 72 hours of lectures and 22 hours of tutorials. Now if you add the 4 hours per week which are on the timetable up you will come to a grand total of 96 hours - so the tutorials must already be listed on the timetable?

• Advertisement

I looked at that post and was completely confused, then the 3 years of maths studies kicked in.

Politics has 3 lectures a week not 4 as you assumed - which is your 72 hours, not 74 as you stated. It states 72 in the book of modules btw when I had a look.

I see what you are saying but if that is the case then something is seriously wrong because the Book of Modules state that you have for various subjects, on the BA syllabus, 72 hours of lectures and 22 hours of tutorials. Now if you add the 4 hours per week which are on the timetable up you will come to a grand total of 96 hours - so the tutorials must already be listed on the timetable?

Its three hours per week according to the timetable for politics - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - the tutorials are not listed on the timetables so I'm correct above. 3 lectures per week for 24 weeks is 72 hours of lectures as listed in the book of modules.

PO1001/L - the L in that code means lecture. T would mean tutorial, and if you take a good look at the timetable there is no T on there as far as I can see.

I looked at that post and was completely confused, then the 3 years of maths studies kicked in.

Politics has 3 lectures a week not 4 as you assumed - which is your 72 hours, not 74 as you stated. It states 72 in the book of modules btw when I had a look.

Yeah, I even got a bit confussed writing it, lol. I'm looking at my timetable now and it shows me 4 classes for every subject I plan to choose - Politics, Religions and Global Diversity, Sociology and Celtic Civilisation. That is 4 hours a week not three, so if it is showing 4 then one of those classes is in fact a tutorial, no?

Yeah, I even got a bit confussed writing it, lol. I'm looking at my timetable now and it shows me 4 classes for every subject I plan to choose - Politics, Religions and Global Diversity, Sociology and Celtic Civilisation. That is 4 hours a week not three, so if it is showing 4 then one of those classes is in fact a tutorial, no?

Where are you looking at your timetable?

Its three hours per week according to the timetable for politics - Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - the tutorials are not listed on the timetables so I'm correct above. 3 lectures per week for 24 weeks is 72 hours of lectures as listed in the book of modules.

PO1001/L - the L in that code means lecture. T would mean tutorial, and if you take a good look at the timetable there is no T on there as far as I can see.

Politics is 4 hours a week, girlfriend :P Wha'ever bitchez.......lol...only messin'. But seriously, it is 4 hours a week, I've my timetable printed up.

Monday 11am-12am
    Tuesday 9am-10am
    Wednesday 2pm-3pm
    Thursday 9am-10am

Oh a big btw, the timetables listed when you google "ucc timetables" are WRONG. Was onto the Arts dept today and pointed in the direction of the correct timetables for Arts 1. The other timetable is NOT correct. This is the correct timetable!!!!

Politics is 4 hours a week, girlfriend :P Wha'ever bitchez.......lol...only messin'. But seriously, it is 4 hours a week, I've my timetable printed up.

Monday 11am-12am
    Tuesday 9am-10am
    Wednesday 2pm-3pm
    Thursday 9am-10am

Oh a big btw, the timetables listed when you google "ucc timetables" are WRONG. Was onto the Arts dept today and pominted in the direction of the correct timetables for Arts 1. The other timetable is NOT correct. This is the correct timetable!!!!

The one on Tuesday is your tutorial, which means the one on the website is the correct LECTURE timetable, makes sense if there is only the 72 hours of lectures. ;) Do the maths :pac: If its 72 hours, it is 72 hours and not anymore! Obviously on that timetable you have, some subjects have all their hours in to ensure that students turn up to both lectures and tutorials, maths studies has three listed there, but I know that they try and organise tutorials during the first lecture.

the lecture rooms are allocated by a central timetabling system, which produces the timetable on the web - however the tutorials are organised by the individual lecturer or department and the rooms booked, which is why they are not listed on the timetable online. Obviously politics are ahead of the game and have a time and room booked

The one on Tuesday is your tutorial, which means the one on the website is the correct LECTURE timetable, makes sense if there is only the 72 hours of lectures. ;) Do the maths :pac: If its 72 hours, it is 72 hours and not anymore! Obviously on that timetable you have, some subjects have all their hours in to ensure that students turn up to both lectures and tutorials, maths studies has three listed there, but I know that they try and organise tutorials during the first lecture.

the lecture rooms are allocated by a central timetabling system, which produces the timetable on the web - however the tutorials are organised by the individual lecturer or department and the rooms booked, which is why they are not listed on the timetable online. Obviously politics are ahead of the game and have a time and room booked

Yeah, the timetable you'll reach from the Arts Dept is correct, the other one (with al the drop down menus etc) is wrong. Anyway, yeah - Politics shows both the weekly tutorial and the lectures but so too does Religions and Global Diversity and Celtic Civilisation. What doesn't add up is Sociology?!!! It shows on my timetable 4 classes a week yet only a total of 72 lecture hours, no tutorials according to the BoM(b) :D But 4 hours a week multiplied by 24 weeks, both academic semesters, gives you 96 hours? lol Feck. The lunatics are running the asylum :pac:

Is that 72hours a month/semester/year??

Is that 72hours a month/semester/year??

72 hours per academic year, both semesters. I wonder is an academic hour really 45 minutes? :D Years ago when I did Law at UCC the timetable was much f'ing easier than Arts is. And back then I thought Arts folk had a walk in the park, lol.

72 hours per academic year, both semesters. I wonder is an academic hour really 45 minutes? :D Years ago when I did Law at UCC the timetable was much f'ing easier than Arts is. And back then I thought Arts folk had a walk in the park, lol.

Ah right.... do I have langer tattooed on my head! LOL

• Advertisement

Yeah, the timetable you'll reach from the Arts Dept is correct, the other one (with al the drop down menus etc) is wrong. Anyway, yeah - Politics shows both the weekly tutorial and the lectures but so too does Religions and Global Diversity and Celtic Civilisation. What doesn't add up is Sociology?!!! It shows on my timetable 4 classes a week yet only a total of 72 lecture hours, no tutorials according to the BoM(b) :D But 4 hours a week multiplied by 24 weeks, both academic semesters, gives you 96 hours? lol Feck. The lunatics are running the asylum :pac:

Sometimes the book of modules can leave out tutorials, it depends on what each department sends them - very rare to have subject without tutorials, so I think in this case you have three hours of lectures and one tutorial - everytime go by the hours, they are bound to be right because its the number of hours that lecturer is teaching per subject. I think in the case of politics, the lecturer may also be taking the tutorial - which is why four is listed, could be the same with regards Sociology. I had a friend doing sociology, and it was only three lectures per week, so by my reckoning the other one is the tutorial

Anyway don't worry about it - just show up to your initial lecture as listed in that other document under the timetable you got - every lecturer will lay out the timetable for you in your individual subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

timetables down again?:(

Ah right.... do I have langer tattooed on my head! LOL

I don't know if you do, send me a pic and I'll tell you :D

Sometimes the book of modules can leave out tutorials, it depends on what each department sends them - very rare to have subject without tutorials, so I think in this case you have three hours of lectures and one tutorial - everytime go by the hours, they are bound to be right because its the number of hours that lecturer is teaching per subject. I think in the case of politics, the lecturer may also be taking the tutorial - which is why four is listed, could be the same with regards Sociology. I had a friend doing sociology, and it was only three lectures per week, so by my reckoning the other one is the tutorial

Anyway don't worry about it - just show up to your initial lecture as listed in that other document under the timetable you got - every lecturer will lay out the timetable for you in your individual subject.

Think I'll probably phone up the Socioloogy folks and see if they know. Weird that the BoM says there are no tutorials in Sociology and the timetable lists 4 hours a week but again inturn the BoM says you have a max of 72 (maybe 74) hours per academic year if you do Sociology. That only makes sense if there are 3 hours of classes a week. Makes no sense. How do they expect people to decide what subjects to choose if some people have to base their selection on times and hours of the relevant classes (especially those who don't live in Cork but live, like me, a roundtrip distance of 80km a day!) I have to tie my choice subjects to the bloody bus timetable :(

I don't know if you do, send me a pic and I'll tell you :D

LOL!!!:rolleyes:

Are ye serious, do you really only have 70 odd hours of lectures a year??? Thats mad.... I have had over 30 in some weeks! Yes, lectures not study time!

LOL!!!:rolleyes:

Are ye serious, do you really only have 70 odd hours of lectures a year??? Thats mad.... I have had over 30 in some weeks! Yes, lectures not study time!

Well, it's 70 odd hours of lectures per academic year per subject - in Arts 1 of course you take 4 subjects. That excludes any tutorials which depending on your chosen subject you may or may not have. If you have tutorials, and most Arts subjects do, they're generally once a week as far as I know, so another hour per week per subject. Not sure what lecture hours are like in years 2 and 3.

Well, it's 70 odd hours of lectures per academic year per subject - in Arts 1 of course you take 4 subjects. That excludes any tutorials which depending on your chosen subject you may or may not have. If you have tutorials, and most Arts subjects do, they're generally once a week as far as I know, so another hour per week per subject. Not sure what lecture hours are like in years 2 and 3.

SO thats about 10 weeks of my lectures.......... sheesh! ;) Mind you I love my programme! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Xxsparkyxx

If you take roman and greek civilisation you won't have any tutorial........or any essay to write as far as I know just an end of year exam!tutorials aren't really important anyway in first year arts I found them to be a waste of time anyway!they'l tell you at the start of the year that attendance at tutorials makes up parts of your final grade (usually 5%) but I think they just say this to try and get you to go!!it wasn't the case for English history or politics even though they told us we would lose 5% if we didn't go!

SO thats about 10 weeks of my lectures.......... sheesh! ;) Mind you I love my programme! :D

What are you doing? Is it at UCC? I did Law (BCL) at UCC before but hated it. Attempted is probably the more correct word, did, suggests I actually "did" something :o

• Advertisement

What are you doing? Is it at UCC? I did Law (BCL) at UCC before but hated it. Attempted is probably the more correct word, did, suggests I actually "did" something :o

Im on the nursing & midwifery programme! Lectures and placement!

Advertisement