Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper removal from drywall / hollow wall

• 21-08-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can help me, there's some crappy wallpaper in one of the bedrooms of my house (was there when I moved in a couple of years ago) but it's on dry wall (think that's what it's called, it's a thin layer of plasterboard).

I've a funny feeling that if I start scraping the paper off then the water is gonna wreck the plasterboard and the scraper will gouge big lumps out of it.

Anyone know of any useful tricks to get around this?

I don't really want to paint over the existing paper, knowing my luck the whole thing will bubble.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

I would just paint over it. Even lining paper will bubble with paint but it will dry flat again or just use a damp sponge on a section and see if the paper will lift off easily.

hi
    i did this a few weeks ago in my kitchen.
    i just used a Stanley Blade, without a holder or anything, i found the angle of
    the scraper was too much and couldn't get the blade to slide under the paper.
    its not the safest way to go about it so if you're unsure/hesitant don't try.
    Stanley Blades can do serious damage so be careful.

the hardest part was to get it started, i only used a small bit of warm water at the start
    as i didn't know how the plasterboard would react if i wet it too much,
    and just slowly tried to get an area down to the plasterboard.
    but once at the plasterboard it was easy enough to get the blade under the rest of the paper and peel it off.

if you do find yourself peeling the actual plasterboard itself, just stop straight away at that part.
    happened me twice near a electric socket. but now after painting over it, its not really noticeable unless you give a close look.

dont know if this is any use to you, but if you do try it, enjoy
    the hand cramping from holding the blade.

i'm sure there are way more knowledgable folks on here who will probably be able to offer more practical advice,
    this is just the way i managed to get it done,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Kieran Lad

If you have a steamer it will help alot, I have removed wallpaper on drywall with a steamer and had no bad effects.

Advertisement