Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to convert van to camper

• 21-08-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31

Hi folks,

first time inquiry here, i'm looking to purchase something like a vw transporter and convert it into a basic camper (bed, cooker etc).

ideally i would be just using it for weekend, one or two nights away so doesnt need to be too flash.

any ideas or helpful threads on where to start here? i'm thinking of something with a long wheel base and low height clearance.

i'm galway based so wondering does anyone know of people who could do conversions like this? or is it a huge job to attempt myself?

i have about 10k to spend on this. aside from purchase and conversion what other costs are associated with converting to campervan - i hear tax becomes cheaper on it?

look, lots of questions here but i'm just starting off here so would appreciate peoples suggestions or advice - thanks

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Redsir

Check these guys out they should be able to help you out
    http://www.cosyclassics.ie/default.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

welcome to boards
    dont think anyone here has done anything like that !!
    used to be a top man called fingers
    but wait,someone has taken over his mantle
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056060300
    he is even more helpful so if you have any queries ,hes your man
    good luck with the build

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Also you could read
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056334378

Contains a link to vrt stuff too. May help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Deep_Six

cheers for the replies lads - much appreciated

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 gerryt50

Have a look at these

greendogcampers.com

vanderlust.com

Vanderlust is in Ennis Co. Clare and I have see some of his work. I have got some bits from him but only found him when I had nearly finished my own conversion in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Fingers McGee..... Buford T Justice.... Its all me....:D:D:D

OP, not trying to sound smart but read both links in my sig. There is quite a lot to converting and they cover a lot of it both from the conversion aspect and the vrt side. Once you've read through them ask some questions where the gaps are.... There are plenty of people here who will fill you in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Fingers McGee..... Buford T Justice.... Its all me....:D:D:D

Having an identity crisis are we. When I came back from hols I was wondering where the gun slinging sheriff came out of but I eventually figured it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

WildWater wrote: »
    Having an identity crisis are we. When I came back from hols I was wondering where the gun slinging sheriff came out of but I eventually figured it out.

Nah, I just figured this way I can shoot people and get away with it, since I'm a lawman :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭forsaleireland

i have all the interior of a caravan for sale at the moment PM me if you are interested

just tryin to help ya out on a cheaper basis

Advertisement