Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Neo Geo AES owners?

• 21-08-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit confused as to what I should be looking for in an AES console. Seems to be a mishmash of talk about serial numbers, motherboard revisions and Unibios.

Does anyone here have a bit of knowledge on the AES console and what, specifically, you need to look out for and what price range you'd be looking at?

Also, it may seem obvious, but just to clarify, MVS carts fit in to the AES console slot and don't need any conversion or modifications/chips et al do they?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n has an AES so he'd be the man to talk to. I thought you needed a converter to use MVS carts in the AES itself?

/Edit: Just a thought, if you don't plan on buying AES carts would it not be cheaper to buy an MVS 1,2,3 etc slot mobo and a supergun? Then hook that lot up to your display.

Here's some more info on the converter, link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

The aes gives you a licence to do :D;):D;):D and put anyone in their place if they dont have one.

Mvs games cost fraction of most AES ports,metal slug been an famous example.

one mvs adaptor here- http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/accessories-/super-mvs-convertor-ii-mvs-aes-blue-led-snmc-acc-detail.htm

Some sellers adapt mvs games to aes carts,which seems bad or good whoever you talk to.

unibios changes the region of the system- http://unibios.free.fr/whatisit.html

Racketboy did a nice but small guide here on system- http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2011/05/snk-neo-geo-101-a-beginners-guide.html

More questions on serials here- http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/

My own view,try get one that has pro pow 3 or por pow E at bottom so you can get an psu off console goods and run system off an uk source-
    http://www.robwebb1.plus.com/neogeo/ng.htm

i think you looking to pay about €200+ for aes system with games,maybe a fiver if your burton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Great info from all, thanks a lot it makes it a lot clearer. That converter is seriously expensive though, how come?

Might be worth looking at a consolised MVS in this instance. Especially as I only want Last Hope and Blazing Star to name a couple and the AES for Blazing Star alone is absolutely eye-watering.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Great info from all, thanks a lot it makes it a lot clearer. That converter is seriously expensive though, how come?

Might be worth looking at a consolised MVS in this instance. Especially as I only want Last Hope and Blazing Star to name a couple and the AES for Blazing Star alone is absolutely eye-watering.

i think the mvs converter is one off purchase particularly when you look at the price of aes games,metal slug aes goes for €1000,you could say its paying off itself.

Metal slug Aes- http://cgi.ebay.ie/neo-geo-aes-Metal-Slug-jap-near-mint-extremely-rare-/180709410630?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a131ec746

Metal slug Mvs- http://cgi.ebay.ie/Metal-Slug-1-English-MVS-Kit-Neo-Geo-Arcade-JAMMA-SNK-/390271941747?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ade053c73

Could always pick up neo cd system*ok people stop laughing*,which fraction of price again but had atrocious loading depending on your model.

If it was CD I'd go for the CDZ console but let's be honest, they're both poor systems. It's like a Porsche Boxster. People know you only bought one because you can't afford a 911.

Save the cash and buy the real beans, not the magic ones.

Maybe the AES is still the way forward, but gosh, that converter is some price.

• Advertisement

Jap aes games are cheap,some allow language change in the games,but you would in some cases put up with censorship of removal of gore and replacement of green blood in the language change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really want an MVS but it seems that if you want one with an MVS converter and all RGB'ed up it will cost a fortune!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When you own a Neo Geo CD at least your Mom thinks you're cool....

And I should know!
    Then again I did have a massive collection of c cough d cough cough r's for it.. ;)

But the loading times are so intrusive it is nigh unplayable.

My lovely MVS on the other hand....
    MVS Motherboard
    Jamma Adaptor
    ATX PSU
    Some assorted video and audio cables
    A proper AES controller, plugs into MVS mb
    A hacked ex-DC Arcade Stick, wired into the Jamma board
    And one of those 111 in 1 MVS multicarts.

And Bobs your Uncle!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Just stick a MVS mobo in your cabinet, that's what I do anyway, nothing like playing a MVS cart in the cabinet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

I'm a bit confused as to what I should be looking for in an AES console.they?

I'll make it easy for you :D Just buy one ! They are a fantastic console, look the business, and are super nostalgic (imho), if like me you drooled over the back pages of C&VG back in the day, with the pictures of machine, and their eye watering prices for each game.

I think I paid €100 for the convertor from some mad website. Great purchase though, as all my MVS games play perfectly on it. I also bought a multicart MVS , however because you don't get player 1 and player 2 start buttons on the AES, you have to power on/off the console to bring you back to the game listing menu.
    If it was CD I'd go for the CDZ console but let's be honest, they're both poor systems. It's like a Porsche Boxster. People know you only bought one because you can't afford a 911.

Lol - having owned a Poxster, I can clearly state, that the Neo Geo CD itself is 100 times better and probably faster at loading games. What a boring car...........however stating its a poor mans 911, dear oh dear, poor car knowledge there boss :pac:

• Advertisement

ondafly wrote: »
    Lol - having owned a Poxster, I can clearly state, that the Neo Geo CD itself is 100 times better and probably faster at loading games. What a boring car...........however stating its a poor mans 911, dear oh dear, poor car knowledge there boss :pac:

Ah c'mon it so is! A friend of mine had one and it wasn't the best. Another lad had an S2000, the other a TVR Griffith. Out of the lot I'd have taken the S2000. Absolutely smashing car it is too, although the sheer sound of the TVR was utterly bowel-shattering. I got nothing from the Porker though I'm a fine one to talk when I was driving a Chrysler Sebring! :o

Back to the Neo Geo CD though, I have read a few discussions on replacing the CD drive in the CD and the CDZ although I'm unclear of how much progress was made, and, more importantly, if it's even possible to do at all anyway.

As for the console, well, I think I'll go the AES + Super MVS route. I just prefer the aesthetics of the AES. Though I think I'm going to take a long time choosing the right console with a good serial number and board version. Has to have the unibios and RGB mod done too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get one of these.
    Analogue-Interactive-Neo-Geo-Consolized-MVS-544x308px.jpg

You bloody know you want one! :pac:

Indeed they are a work of beauty but $649 is a bit steep! If it around the $500 mark then maybe, but for that price it's probably worth looking at a cab.

Ah a cab, the one prize possession I'd love to have, yet I've no chance until next year of landing one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you're going AES & MVS, get the Super MVS Converter II. It has the highest level of compatability. Only game that doesn't work is Metal Slug X.

There is one issue with them though. Neo Geo fighting games are known for their scaling and zooming. Especially in games like Samurai Showdown and The Last Blade. For some reason this effect gets a bit muddled up with these convertors. There's a dial on the front of the convertor so you can try to get rid of it. Its still a bit annoying though.

All other games run 100% perfect. If you're into shooters like myself then it won't bother you at all.

You can import a Japanese console on ebay Japan for about 120 euro delivered. The MVS adapter will probably cost you 150. Worth it in the long run.

Cheers o1s1n. So the converter doesn't have issues with shooters? AES is the way forward then is it, even with the expense of the converter?

Ah c'mon it so is! A friend of mine had one and it wasn't the best. Another lad had an S2000, the other a TVR Griffith. Out of the lot I'd have taken the S2000. Absolutely smashing car it is too, although the sheer sound of the TVR was utterly bowel-shattering. I got nothing from the Porker though I'm a fine one to talk when I was driving a Chrysler Sebring! :o

/off topic :p obviously - but come back to me when you lived with one for a year. The Boxster does one thing very well, and thats handling. Hands down, it handles better than a 911, but the 911 will whip its ass with the power. The S2000, while a lovely drive, is one tail happy and high rev'ing lady ! and the TVR ? well lets hope it stays put together and nothing falls off :pac: But what am I saying here - I can't actually believe I'm defending the Boxster ?!!??!?
    As for the console, well, I think I'll go the AES + Super MVS route. I just prefer the aesthetics of the AES. Though I think I'm going to take a long time choosing the right console with a good serial number and board version. Has to have the unibios and RGB mod done too!

Do it ! and if going to Japan ? you will pick one up cheapo.
    K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get one of these.
    Analogue-Interactive-Neo-Geo-Consolized-MVS-544x308px.jpg

You bloody know you want one! :pac:

I would love one of those......
    o1s1n wrote: »
    If you're going AES & MVS, get the Super MVS Converter II. It has the highest level of compatability. Only game that doesn't work is Metal Slug X.

this sounds like the convertor I have, even came with a small screw driver for adjusting that scaler thing. I've had no issues with any shmups on it, although I haven't used it a long while since getting the MVS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just a heads-up to anyone wanting to get either AES or MVS:
    Neo Geo controller pinout

Since the controllers don't use any ID chips, you can create one with anything as a base (e.g. empty shells, custom cases, shoeboxes...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭geotrig

:)get one they are the awesomest !! most carts are around 30-50ish mark with the metal slugs and some of the rarer titles ridiculous prices !but hey thats life!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't know that about the scaling games with the convertor. It's put me off them now.

How much money/effort would it take to make a consolised MVS supergun with RGB and/or component out?

Hmm, seems you could build an RGB one for around 200 euros pretty damn easily.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Cheers o1s1n. So the converter doesn't have issues with shooters? AES is the way forward then is it, even with the expense of the converter?

Well of all the shooters I've played I've never experienced any problems. It's only fighters really.

If you can justify spending at least 150 for a second hand MVS adapter then the AES is the prettiest solution.

An MVS arcade motherboard with a cheap supergun is also a great combination though. It's ugly, but you won't have any of those scaling issues with fighters if you ever feel like giving them a go. (The Last Blade games are a must).

Plus you'll also be able to drop it into an arcade machine when you buy one ;)

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    How much money/effort would it take to make a consolised MVS supergun with RGB and/or component out?

Not worth it really. Just get one of those cheap superguns (only cost about 15 or 20 and they support RGB scart) and an arcade motherboard.

Plus you'll also be able to drop it into an arcade machine when you buy one ;)

Ah stop! I'm in talks to get a cab now but SHH! don't tell the wife!!!

Not worth it really. Just get one of those cheap superguns (only cost about 15 or 20 and they support RGB scart) and an arcade motherboard.

Well I only did a quick look on ebay. An RGB supergun board is about 70 sterling delivered, didnt find anything cheaper but didn't really look and a 4 slot MVS jamma mobo was about 70 delivered as well.

Jochen on ArcadeForge has built a new Supergun setup

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=5

Awesome. Next step: Get a job.

:(

Jochen on ArcadeForge has built a new Supergun setup

http://wp1114205.wp150.webpack.hosteurope.de/xtcmodified/index.php?cPath=5

WOAH! Hold on a minute there cowboy! If I buy that MAK Strike yolk, is that all I need to plug in a joystick, connect the Supergun to the TV and that's it? I can run MVS games? Or do I still need to buy something else?

My purchasing finger is clicking over the 'checkout' button already!

You'll need a power supply which if you have old computers then you've probably got one already. Then you'll need an MVS jamma motherboard, pretty damn cheap, or if you want it's also compatible with any other jamma motherboard. Hook it up with joysticks and an RGB scart cable and you're flying. The only thing is that it's kind of messy so best to build a nice unit out of it to keep it tidy and not looking like a bunch of circuit boards.

Cheers for the sound advice. Looks like it'll work out for everything around €120-€180 (guestimate) to be fully underway minus a game.

Hmm, maybe looking at that price it's worth holding back and choosing a good cabinet seeing as that's a good chunk of a cabinet outlay. Sound info though, thanks a lot. :)

• Advertisement

Rebirthing this thread, what are your opinions on a consolized MVS? Preferably a prefabricated one with all the trimmings?

Are these the way forward? Does this particular kind of set up have RGB issues like certain revisions of the AES?

What kind of price would you be looking at for a full, ready to go system to just plug in to the TV and play? No extras, just the kit to slot in a MVS cart, press power on and get going.

They seem really really expensive for what you get considering you can make one yourself. Most of the cheap ones are composite out only. When you go to RGB and Component out you are getting into silly money.

Is it difficult to add RGB and component to them? What would you be talking in terms of price for one with those features? As for a self build from scratch, are they difficult to do?

The supergun o1s1n linked to is 50 euros and comes with RGB out. I think component is a bit more difficult to add unless you can solder.

As for building one yourself all you have to do is get a supergun, plug a jamma MVS board into it and attaching to PC power supply. Add a scart cable and neo geo joysticks and you have yourself a consolised MVS. It'll look rough so you might want to make a nice shell for it.

Master of the Universe

The supergun I was talking about is far from 50 euro! Here's the website. Seems he has them for £15.

http://www.vogatek.com/

/edit - ****e that's the one with the arcade button/stick terminal block. The one with the controller ports wasn't much more though.

ah, seems they've gone up in price a bit -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vogatek-arcade-supergun-Mk5-/160643478292?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item256718f314

Cheaper. Might be DB9 ports though -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vogatek-arcade-supergun-Mk4-/160643493114?pt=UK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item2567192cfa

Thanks for the links. Is that £15 yolk any good? Better than the Arcade Forge device?

Reason I ask is because.........well...........I went and bought an MV-1A and a selection of MVS cassettes today.

Looks like I've joined the Neo Geo club. :o

edit: Ah I see. The cheap yolk has no controller ports. The Arcade Forge job looks the part though I must say.

• Advertisement

Welcome,use this door-
    3211214542_a5d596ea68.jpg

While your at it,there's an unbidded x68000 in the bargain auction thread.

Welcome,use this door-
    3211214542_a5d596ea68.jpg

Thanks! This appears missing though from your picture:

welcome_mat3_Rooooll_out_the_welcome_mat-s550x488-119709-580.jpg

Master of the Universe

Thanks for the links. Is that £15 yolk any good? Better than the Arcade Forge device?

Reason I ask is because.........well...........I went and bought an MV-1A and a selection of MVS cassettes today.

edit: Ah I see. The cheap yolk has no controller ports. The Arcade Forge job looks the part though I must say.

Nice one!

To get controls going on the cheap one you'd need to get some arcade buttons and a stick. Ultimately it would be cool to use that and build your own super cool arcade stick, but I guess you want the cheapest option fast :D

The other two I linked have controller ports but I think they're both DB9. So it means you'd have to play your games with Megadrive control pads. Or something else with that connection. Works perfectly. But not the 100% arcade feel you want.

There is a Vogatek supergun like the ones above that has Neo Geo AES controller ports. I think Ciderman managed to get one of those ones.

I ended up buying the MAK Strike, complete with PSU and casing. Figured it was worth the investment and I know what the build and overall quality of Arcade Forge products is like so that was the dealbreaker.

http://url.ie/cz3k

Need to find a controller now! Any hints on where I could find a super cheap Neo Geo stick? Or are there any PS1/PS2/DC etc to Neo Geo adapaters available?

good choice on the MAK Strike - Jochen is a good guy too, and his work is fantastic.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

That looks like a nice piece of kit, I've never seen it before.

Go with the original Neo Geo AES stick, not the kidney bean one you see going for a bit cheaper.

The original will cost you at least €40 after postage.

good choice on the MAK Strike - Jochen is a good guy too, and his work is fantastic.

Yep. I now own the SLG 3000, Sync Strike and MAK Strike. I have the same scaler he uses too but bought mine at Jammaboards.

Does the MAK Strike work with CPSII etc? Or is it only MVS?

Agreed though, I love Jochen's work. He's a regular on the SHMUP's forum, decent after sales service and advice too. Top stuff and great products. Fairly priced too considering it's not mass production stuff.

That looks like a nice piece of kit, I've never seen it before.

Go with the original Neo Geo AES stick, not the kidney bean one you see going for a bit cheaper.

The original will cost you at least €40 after postage.

Yep I'm going to go with a AES stick I think. Trying to find a battered one for cheap for now then mod the buttons (I know, I just announced I was going to try and mod something myself! :eek:).

The MAK Strike, including a PSU and encasement came to €93 including shipping. I think that's a bargain. The other good news is my MVS board has Unibios on it, I think it's socketed, I didn't ask. Either way...

I've got a stack of MVS to play on it when it all arrives. Only one SHMUP though.

Master of the Universe

Well that's a JAMMA connector on the back so it'll work with anything JAMMA.

There'd be a problem with CPS2 though, the kick harness buttons. Neo Geo sticks only have 4 buttons.

Ah well, I wonder if you can get an adapter for such a thing?

On reflection at all this and with all of you giving me such useful advice, I think I made the right choice with MVS instead of AES.

I'm scoping out an Astro City or a Windy II right now (while at the same time trying to convince the good woman this is a 'good thing'!) so the MVS will slot in nicely to either. Plus to be honest, the cost of AES carts is utterly frightening. :pac:

Master of the Universe

It says there are screw terminals for the extra buttons..but I am unsure as to how you would add them to your setup? I guess it doesn't matter anyway as you'll only really be playing shmups. Not like any of them will be using the kick harness!

Ah well, I wonder if you can get an adapter for such a thing?

On reflection at all this and with all of you giving me such useful advice, I think I made the right choice with MVS instead of AES.

I'm scoping out an Astro City or a Windy II right now (while at the same time trying to convince the good woman this is a 'good thing'!) so the MVS will slot in nicely to either. Plus to be honest, the cost of AES carts is utterly frightening. :pac:

I think you made the right choice going MVS alright. The games look great on a cab monitor too.

Re: the controllers and more than 3 buttons, I have a couple of modded green goblin sticks with my supergun, has those same NeoGeo ports - not sure if that is an option for you to look at (you have those controllers I think?). Otherwise just stick (no pun intended) with the 3 buttons until you get your cab?
    Not sure how you feel about emulation but that 150-in-1 MVS cart is pretty good imo. Its nice having original carts but much less hassle not having to swap them out to play other games.

Ooh, wait a sec... I have a DC Green Goblin.................. tell me more. Do I need to refer to The Gospel According To KO Kiki (21:17)?

Ooh, wait a sec... I have a DC Green Goblin.................. tell me more. Do I need to refer to The Gospel According To KO Kiki (21:17)?

Here's a pic I took a while ago comparing a standard MD pad connection to the Neo Geo one on the DC stick. I don't have any guide for the mod though as I bought them as is. Funnily enough I have two MD pads with the same mod, so it might be worth getting a pad modded first as a test run?

db9vsg.jpg

Modded MD pad:

sgmd.jpg

That looks complicated. Remember, if something is too hard to do, it's not worth doing (or just pay someone else to do it for you). :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement