Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Neo Geo AES owners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's a db16 connection. I wonder do the kick harness buttons go through it to the DC pad? The Neo Geo AES ports are DB16 but they only use the 4 buttons..maybe it is possible to pull the extra kick harness buttons through it too? Would be excellent if it was.

Here's the pinout anyway. Seems most of the pins are used -

http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=controls:neo_geo_controller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I think you made the right choice going MVS alright. The games look great on a cab monitor too.

Re: the controllers and more than 3 buttons, I have a couple of modded green goblin sticks with my supergun, has those same NeoGeo ports - not sure if that is an option for you to look at (you have those controllers I think?). Otherwise just stick (no pun intended) with the 3 buttons until you get your cab?
    Not sure how you feel about emulation but that 150-in-1 MVS cart is pretty good imo. Its nice having original carts but much less hassle not having to swap them out to play other games.

The multicarts are good alright. I dont thinks its emulation though as those carts just hold a load of roms and then load those roms on the real hardware, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I have the 161 in 1 cart and its good. The only problem is no high score saves. It seems to save them until you power down the cab.
    And they do have a few glitches on some games as well as some major slow down on some shooters like Pulstar when things get very busy on screen.

I'd still recommend one though :)

Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, does your MVS 1 slot save standard cart scores, just not the multi cart?

Scores are saved on the motherboard itself, not the carts. Usually if they're not saving it means the motherboard needs a replacement battery.

Although you got a fancy refurbished one with a multibios didn't you? I'd imagine they installed a fresh battery. Wonder why the save feature doesn't work in that case? odd!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, does your MVS 1 slot save standard cart scores, just not the multi cart?

Scores are saved on the motherboard itself, not the carts. Usually if they're not saving it means the motherboard needs a replacement battery.

Although you got a fancy refurbished one with a multibios didn't you? I'd imagine they installed a fresh battery. Wonder why the save feature doesn't work in that case? odd!

That's a good point. Must test that out tonight. And welcome back! :D

Master of the Universe

Thanks! Not even an earthquake and a hurricane could keep me from this forum :D

Yeah, the high scores save fine on other carts. Didn't know it saved to the board itself though. The battery on my MVS looks fairly old so I dont think it was replaced. But its working for the moment.

And also, welcome back.

Master of the Universe

Yeah the mobo has a certain amount of slots to save game info. Can't remember how many it is as it's been a while since I've had a look.

You can access all that via the dip switches. It'll list the games you've been playing on it and info like credits played etc (so operators can see which games are making money)

As a gamer it's pretty interesting to see how many credits you've been blazing through in specific games.

Plus for anyone who doesn't know, that's also how you turn on red blood in Metal Slug. By default it's white.

In fact here's something annoying. If the battery is dead on your motherboard, the blood will default to white every time you turn the cab on.

Master of the Universe

Ooops, double post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    And also, welcome back.

Ditto. :)

Side note, currently scouring the Earth for a cheap Neo Geo stick. Anyone able to help with my search?

• Advertisement

Yeah the mobo has a certain amount of slots to save game info. Can't remember how many it is as it's been a while since I've had a look.

You can access all that via the dip switches. It'll list the games you've been playing on it and info like credits played etc (so operators can see which games are making money)

As a gamer it's pretty interesting to see how many credits you've been blazing through in specific games.

Plus for anyone who doesn't know, that's also how you turn on red blood in Metal Slug. By default it's white.

In fact here's something annoying. If the battery is dead on your motherboard, the blood will default to white every time you turn the cab on.

Is there such thing as difficulty levels in some of these games accessed via dip switches or however? Actually same question re: arcade games via mame?

Master of the Universe

Here's one to keep an eye on. Postage is $30 but the bid is on nothing at the moment. And it's boxed and minty!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEO-GEO-AES-Controller-Boxed-/250881074961?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a69ad6711

Master of the Universe

Is there such thing as difficulty levels in some of these games accessed via dip switches or however? Actually same question re: arcade games via mame?

Yep! By default the difficulty for Neo Geo is on either 3 or 4, I can't remember which. You can put it up and down.

Can also change credits, how many lives you get per credit etc

In MAME you access the soft dip settings in game by pressing TAB. The menu is the exact same one as you'd see on the real hardware.

Yep! By default the difficulty is on either 3 or 4, I can't remember which. You can put it up and down.

In MAME you access the soft dip settings in game by pressing TAB. The menu is the exact same one as you'd see on the real hardware.

Nice. Is that what the "Level - 4" text is you see at the bottom of some games? I'm hoping Raiden is set at a high level as it's kicking my ass most times. Can only get to the 2nd boss on 1 credit so far. :o

Yep! By default the difficulty for Neo Geo is on either 3 or 4, I can't remember which. You can put it up and down.

Can also change credits, how many lives you get per credit etc

All the games I got for the MVS were set to 8. I was quick to drop them down a bit :D

The unibios is very handy when it comes to that stuff, blood colour, country settings etc.

Master of the Universe

Nice. Is that what the "Level - 4" text is you see at the bottom of some games? I'm hoping Raiden is set at a high level as it's kicking my ass most times. Can only get to the 2nd boss on 1 credit so far. :o

That is exactly it. The difficulty level shows on the bottom of the screen. I wouldn't go lower than 4 to be honest. Keep it challenging ;)

Not sure about Raiden, only dip switch settings I've really messed with are Neo Geo games. Unless someone has changed it it'll be on the default setting though. It's just a tough game!

Steve SI wrote: »
    All the games I got for the MVS were set to 8. I was quick to drop them down a bit :D

The unibios is very handy when it comes to that stuff, blood colour, country settings etc.

Ah right! Nice one! The ones I've owned just had the standard bios. I'll need to get another 1 slot so will probably go down that route.

Unless I can somehow figure out a way of fitting a 6 slot in a candy :eek:

• Advertisement

Hmm, there seems to be a lot of folk in favour of the kidney bean stick for SHMUPS on the Neo Geo. Anyone used one? What's the throw like?

Master of the Universe

Oh really? I've never used one, just always heard the original is made better.

I've two original sticks and they're really lovely. I guess if the kidney bean one has a decent throw then it might be a worthy substitute if you can't find one of the others. They're a bit more affordable.

If you wait you'll have an original one turn up in Japan on ebay for a decent price. I think my second one only cost about €35 delivered. Although maybe I just got lucky. I do remember Andrew76 having a hard time finding one a while back.

Yeah although that could have just been me being too scabby to pay £30 + shipping for one. I only wanted it to test that mini-supergun I have. I hopefully have a NeoGeo joypad incoming from a certain person here who shall remain nameless. Nudge nudge man, come on an post the thing! :P :P

Cool cheers lads. I think I might go for the bean one. Just because of the chatter about it being good for SHMUPS. I wonder if they are easy to mod anyway?

Changed my mind! Just scooped an original AES controller for a very cheeky price. Looks like I'm all set for some MVS action in the coming weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I have the odd browse of these forums once in a while, but felt compelled to sign up today to add my two pence to this discussion.

For me, my Neo Geo AES experience was extremely good when I got into the scene. I might as well share it and wholeheartedly recommend the console because there's nothing quite like owning the console if you are a serious gamer....

I got my AES from Hit Japan on eBay about four or five years ago. I had wanted one for a very long time, having heard about this legendary console, like many others, in video games magazines. The famous Edge magazine collectors' feature about it was the last straw! I was going to have to have one...

It did take me a while to get the money together for it. Having played some SNK fighters on other systems I just knew I would have to scrape the money together somehow. Eventually, I just bought the machine when I had the money and didn't really put much thought into the CD versions or MVS set-up. I wanted what Edge called "The Rolls-Royce of games conoles" and wanted to experience SNK's fighters on the original hardware. My console was boxed and in very good condition when it arrived with a complete copy of Samurai Spirits (Shodown) II. The day it arrived was amazing, it was like Christmas morning. I remember the amazement I had at the sheer size of the game cartridges - I couldn't believe the size! No online images or magazine pictures can prepare you....

A copy of Real Bout Fatal Fury was also in the psot, and arived a few days later. I played the **** out of both games and loved the experience once I got used to the arcade stick.

Why I think the AES is so special is somewhat because of the high price strangely enough. Now hear me out! Some people will think that's nuts, but for me the high price can actually be a good thing in a strange way....

Firstly, it stops you buying up loads of games too quickly. Buy a Dreamcast say, and you'll likely end up with a whole stack of €5-€10 games very quickly, and you'll unlikely play them all properly. You'll likely dip in and out of them all, before settling on one or two before you go buying again. With the AES, you'll only get one or two games at a time, and you'll play the heck out of them as you'll have no choice. You'll really get into you AES games and will likely get a lot of satisfaction from mastering them.

Also, you'll play the games because you invested money in them. How many of us have huge backlogs on here? I know I have a backlog of PS2 and DS games to complete, mainly because these formats are pretty cheap to buy for. Unless you are a millionaire, you'll never have an AES backlog!

And because the games can be expensive, you won't get all that many, meaning when you do get one... well it will be special.... if you know what I mean. You'll actually give it due time, you'll read the booklet, play it over and over again.... just like you'd have done eith a regular SNES or Mega Drive game when you were a kid. So it can be quite a nostalgic experience, even if you never played Neo Geo when you were young.

Now just to talk about the pricing of games - yes they are expensive for the most part, but there are some bargains on the machine. And there are some semi-expensive games, but ones which are well worth the money owing to their collectability, value retention and most importantly the high gameplay enjoyment which they offer. Bargains include the underrated King of Fighters '94, the acclaimed Samurai Shodown II, Fighters History Dynamite and Fatal Fury Special.

You have to be careful though to avoid that common trap which occurs to a lot of newbie AES gamers - they end up trying to buy up loads of games at once, like as if they had just bought the aforementioned Dreamcast, and end up terrible cheap and nasty software that they wouldn't have considered for a less expensive console like the SNES - just because its AES, doesn't necessarily mean its good! Thus avoid cheap garbage like Riding Hero, Wold Heroes 1, Raguy and Magician Lord (sorry if anyone does actually like those games!).

If you are "doing it right", you should be buying an AES cart every once in a while and the games you get should be savoured. I think two or three AES games a year is about right really after you first buy the system. Once you've bought a few games initially you should save up over time and get the likes of The Last Blade, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, King of Fighters 2002, Last Resort, etc. These games sell for between €90 and €130 most of the time. That sounds like a lot but really, they should be viewed as collectable investments that are fun to play over long periods of time, and that can be enjoyed every now and then in the far off future.

There's also a lot to be said the the sheer pleasure of the sight of an AES game displyed on a shelf. MVS boxes just don't compare because they aren't original - they aren't the real deal. Holding an AES cart in your hands and admiring it is a truly special experience - especially if its a great game that you've wanted for ages and saved up for. And they actually feel expensive in your hands....

So thats my thoughts on the system and its games. For me its a very special machine with some truly excellent games if you enjoy arcade titles from back in the day. Its also a special console for those who enjoy video games history and lore as it was one of the longest served machine in history, even surviving the backruptcy of SNK in 2000. That brand new 2D 16-bit games like Rage of the Dragons and Samurai Shodown V Special were being realesed officially for the system, even in the West, in as recent as 2004 is pretty incredible when you think about it.

Now I'm a huge advocate for the system as you can see, but it is unreasonable for most sane people to be buying the likes of Metal Slug 1 and Blazing Star for the AES, so getting these for an MVS would be sensible down the line. The MVS is a great system of course, but will never be as collectable nor as special its home console counterpart, for me at least :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

As much as I'd like to own an AES I buy my games not to collect them and have them but to play them. For that reason I'll go the MVS route because that way I can actually afford to buy all the games I want to play. Some games I really want go for 500 euros and that's just way out of my price range, even if I get a job. For that reason I'll be going MVS.

@Mr Vengance:

One of the best forum posts I've ever read and I am in agreement with you 99.9%.

For me MVS is the choice purely based on two factors.

1. Cost.

2. I want to be able to afford and play only SHMUPS.

Hence AES Pulstar and Blazing Star are never going to be in my reach otherwise!

I'm passionate about shooting games. Beside niche series like Bomberman and bizarre Japanese oddities, SHMUPS are all I buy, collect and have an interest in. I want to buy, collect and try to play as many as I can (before my new found married life kicks in 100% and my gaming days evaporate forever!).

Couldn't have put your post in better words though. Kudos.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know, if I was rich I'd so go AES though. However I'm someone that loves having loads of games for each system and I try to pick up every game I want for a system and if I went AES it would probably be impossible.

I get you Retr0gamer, and completely understand. Some people don't "get" the AES buzz and that's fair enough. For me though owning a few of these awesome games (I've 'only' got a dozen AES games) is magical.

One thing though that I would disagree with in your post is that you can "play" AES games too, as well as admire them in their pretty boxes ;)

Like I was saying, the cost for AES games compared to their MVS equivalents isn't that much for quite a few games such as say, King of Fighters '98. And as well as getting a proper offical case with the former, you get instructions and art book as well.

Of course if you want the likes of Metal Slug, Breakers or Ninja Master's then its MVS is the way to go - it makes perfect sense, but the AES has its fans for the reasons I stated above in my overly-long first post. If you are patient an investment in AES really pays off, though the range is of course limited.

Each to their own, and people should follow the route that makes sense to them. I'm just arguing the case for the AES as there wasn't much argument for getting it over CD or MVS set-ups on here.

Just to clarify, I intend to get an MVS cabinet some day to play the likes of Blazing Star, Kizuno Encounter and Metal Slug 1 on SNK hardware.

Master of the Universe

I guess what's happening is the insane price of AES games is throwing you back to your childhood, where you could only have a few new games a year and cherished them. :)

As much as I'd love to...I just couldn't handle having to be careful with them all the time. My valuable games stay locked up only to be taken out when I want to look at them in awe. :pac:

Couldn't deal with having to be super careful with a €400 euro cart every time I wanted to play Blazing Star!

I guess what's happening is the insane price of AES games is throwing you back to your childhood, where you could only have a few new games a year and cherished them. :)

Like the time all I got for Christmas and Birthday one year was Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Zombies Ate My Neighbours for my SNES on import.

I was delighted though and played the living buttocks out of them for months.

The following year I got Rock N Roll Racing for my gift and nearly unloaded gallons of stools all over the boat in excrement, I mean excitement!

Actually being honest, I recall flipping through the crisp pages of Super Play looking at those import shop classifieds literally dreaming about what owning a Neo Geo would be like. the console for the truly elite. The true Rolls Royce of video games.

Today, granted I've purchased an MVS system, I can't quite believe I'm on the verge of seeing what the Neo Geo experience is going to be like.

It only took me the best part of 19 years to get there, which speaks volumes about how out of reach Neo Geo ownership, both MVS and AES really is, even today with all our XBOX and PS3 systems, there is still nothing quite like the Neo Geo and probably never will be again.

I get you Retr0gamer, and completely understand. Some people don't "get" the AES buzz and that's fair enough. For me though owning a few of these awesome games (I've 'only' got a dozen AES games) is magical.

I do get it. I'll just never be able to afford it! :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Actually being honest, I recall flipping through the crisp pages of Super Play looking at those import shop classifieds literally dreaming about what owning a Neo Geo would be like. the console for the truly elite. The true Rolls Royce of video games.

Today, granted I've purchased an MVS system, I can't quite believe I'm on the verge of seeing what the Neo Geo experience is going to be like.

It only took me the best part of 19 years to get there, which speaks volumes about how out of reach Neo Geo ownership, both MVS and AES really is, even today with all our XBOX and PS3 systems, there is still nothing quite like the Neo Geo and probably never will be again.

I agree 100% with that last sentence!
    @Mr Vengance:

One of the best forum posts I've ever read and I am in agreement with you 99.9%.

For me MVS is the choice purely based on two factors.

1. Cost.

2. I want to be able to afford and play only SHMUPS.

Hence AES Pulstar and Blazing Star are never going to be in my reach otherwise!

I'm passionate about shooting games. Beside niche series like Bomberman and bizarre Japanese oddities, SHMUPS are all I buy, collect and have an interest in. I want to buy, collect and try to play as many as I can (before my new found married life kicks in 100% and my gaming days evaporate forever!).

Couldn't have put your post in better words though. Kudos.

Cheers mate, glad you liked that massive post of mine!

You are right though to go MVS if its shmups you want. Pulstar and Blazing Star on AES are stupidly expensive, and for all you know, the AES version you would end up buying could be a conversion from the MVS anyway. The only worthwhile AES shmup thats not ridiculously expensive is Last Resort.

Anyway, I would personally NOT recommend AES to anyone unless they enjoyed fighters. I actually don't own any non-fighting games for my machine. In my opinion, the msot cost effective way to play Neo Geo games for fans who don't like fighters is on the CD console. Loads of great games on various genres on that that are cheap, and which aren't too bad on the loading times. Its a pity that all MVS games didn't make it to the Neo Geo CD.

Pyongyang mate, I think you and me will no doubt chat about shmups on here again. As well as being a huge fighting game fan, I too am nuts about shmups! I have a Saturn for that interest though.....

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I think Ghost Pilots is probably the cheapest AES shmup. In fact I'm pretty sure the AES version is cheaper than the MVS one!

Anyway, I would personally NOT recommend AES to anyone unless they enjoyed fighters.

In fairness I bought about 12 or 14 (I forget now) MVS carts, yesterday and today. Sadly one is a bootleg of Prehistoric Isle 2, which the lads here warned me about but the seller did state in his ad it was a bootleg, I don't mind for now, I'll buy a lefit one another day.

In the mix I bought a handful of fighters, just to check them out. I don't like fighters much at all though, never have really. Even as a kid I was always potty about 'Nemesis' and Silkworm. Even non typical shooters like the incredible Exile on the C64.
    Pyongyang mate, I think you and me will no doubt chat about shmups on here again. As well as being a huge fighting game fan, I too am nuts about shmups! I have a Saturn for that interest though.....

Absolutely, head over to the WARNING! SHMUP PORN! thread for a bit of shooter muck!

I've an NTSC-J Saturn and I only buy SHMUPS (and bizarre Japanese oddities like Mini Mart management simulators and dating simulators featuring imitation eggplants and a piece of toast that plays the saxophone).

I only buy NTSC-J though, keeping it as authentic as possible and admiring the fantastic cover art the Japanese enjoyed across all their systems over the years.

I've now amassed a collection that includes a Super Famicom, PC Engine Duo-R, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast (admittedly PAL but BIOS flashed so it has an NTSC-J boot logo and 60hz mod chip), Neo Geo Pocket, PS1 (NTSC-U but chipped), PS1 (PAL) and PS2 (PAL, Matrix'ed) and PS2 Slim (NTSC-U), GBA, DS, DS Lite, DSi XL and lastly an XBOX 360.

Oh and not forgetting the MVS setup and a Wonderswan in the mail. Lots of SHMUPS to collect for all of them! :)

Yeah, there's a bit of that alright! I got my money's worth out of games like Tetris, Super Mario Bros and Zelda when I was a nipper!
    As much as I'd love to...I just couldn't handle having to be careful with them all the time. My valuable games stay locked up only to be taken out when I want to look at them in awe. :pac:

So what would these valuable games be then? Whats your collecting poisen in other words? :)

In the mix I bought a handful of fighters, just to check them out. I don't like fighters much at all though, never have really.

Do me a favour - do yourself a favour! Buy a copy of Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for the MVS. Forget the first Real Bout Fatal Fury, forget Fatal Fury Special.... get RBFFS nad it will change your opinion about fighting games - its perfection. Once you are done falling in love with that, pick up Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - its even better, but you need RBFFS first.

I only buy NTSC-J though, keeping it as authentic as possible and admiring the fantastic cover art the Japanese enjoyed across all their systems over the years.

I can spend.... whole minutes!.. just staring at the stunning front cover of Battle Garegga. The detail is just stunning. I also love drooling at the covers of Cav's games too. Espgaluda II in particular is magnificent.
    I've now amassed a collection that includes a Super Famicom, PC Engine Duo-R, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast (admittedly PAL but BIOS flashed so it has an NTSC-J boot logo and 60hz mod chip), Neo Geo Pocket, PS1 (NTSC-U but chipped), PS1 (PAL) and PS2 (PAL, Matrix'ed) and PS2 Slim (NTSC-U), GBA, DS, DS Lite, DSi XL and lastly an XBOX 360.

Oh and not forgetting the MVS setup and a Wonderswan in the mail. Lots of SHMUPS to collect for all of them! :)

A great line-up of systems mate, looking similar to mine but my hardware is more PAL in nature. I also have a lot of Nintendo stuff.

I got a Dreamcast DC-X boot disc recently for my recently fdixed PAL DC (which I sorted out myself). First import shmup was the brutally hard Mars Matrix. Going to get Under Defeat and Zero Gunner 2 next....

I'll check out the shmup thread anyway mate, thanks!

So what would these valuable games be then? Whats your collecting poisen in other words? :)

Post that photo of your copy of Radiant Silvergun and you shall perish o1s1n!

I got a Dreamcast DC-X boot disc recently for my recently fdixed PAL DC (which I sorted out myself). First import shmup was the brutally hard Mars Matrix. Going to get Under Defeat and Zero Gunner 2 next....

I'll check out the shmup thread anyway mate, thanks!

Argh! All titles I'd love! Apart from Mars Matrix which I have (NTSC-J of course!).

If o1s1n posts his Radiant Silvergun then I'll post my copy of Karous Limited Edition with SG-OCD telephone card (and the invoice for my Sturmwind pre-order!). :D

I'm still kicking myself for not buying Under Defeat when it was available for about 2 years on playasia since 75 euros was a bit too expensive :(

Master of the Universe

Yeah, there's a bit of that alright! I got my money's worth out of games like Tetris, Super Mario Bros and Zelda when I was a nipper!

I think tetris has to be the best value for money game of all time. I would literally play that forever.

My poison? Everything, that's the bloody problem! :D

Started collecting rare Megadrive games years ago..best bits would be a Sonic Crackers proto (moment of absolute madness) and a very early unreleased beta of Zero Tolerance that's really different to the final version and as far as I know the only one in existence (and undumped! :eek:)

Then have a load of rare PAL releases like Wily Wars, Duke Nukem, Ecco Jr etc.

Have bits of everything though. If you work your way through the post here every time you get something new thread you'll see my slow descent into madness.

For the last while it's mainly been arcade hardware. Have a shedload of Neo Geo MVS carts. Dipped my toes in CPS2, but after 4 or 5 games I literally have no bloody room left for them!
    If o1s1n posts his Radiant Silvergun then I'll post my copy of Karous Limited Edition with SG-OCD telephone card (and the invoice for my Sturmwind pre-order!). :D

Unfortunately after Radiant Silvergun I can only retort with a standard Karous release.

Not a shmup, but can I see you Panzer Dragoon Saga?

Argh! All titles I'd love! Apart from Mars Matrix which I have (NTSC-J of course!).

I got me a copy of Silvergun too! Was playing it last night and its a game that you can play and play and play. Its MASSIVE too for a shmup! Longest shooter ever?

I'd love a copy of Karous. Its not on my immediate "wants list" though - have to get those aforementioned DC shooters, Batsugun, Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets and an AES game for myself (either Fatal Fury 3, Fighters History Dynamite or King of Fighters '99) first. Should take a while before I get that lot! :(

• Advertisement

Not a shmup, but can I see you Panzer Dragoon Saga?

I can fold with Panzer Dragoon Zwei but could call with DoDonpachi Daiepoieioufkudsgkjdshfjdfhslkfhkldshlkdgshljh and Espgaluda for PS2 if that's alright? :D

As for Arcade hardware don't get me started. I'm in preliminary talks with the wife to allow me to purchase either a New Astro City or a Konami Windy II soon.

After that I've got my eye on full kits of Ibara and Esp Ra De. :o

Divorced within a year? :pac:

I got me a copy of Silvergun too! Was playing it last night and its a game that you can play and play and play. Its MASSIVE too for a shmup! Longest shooter ever?

I'd love a copy of Karous. Its not on my immediate "wants list" though - have to get those aforementioned DC shooters, Batsugun, Muchi Muchi Pork & Pink Sweets and an AES game for myself (either Fatal Fury 3, Fighters History Dynamite or King of Fighters '99) first. Should take a while before I get that lot! :(

Roll on September 14th!

Karous is brilliant (despite what Retr0gamer thinks! :D). I think Andrew or Safetyboy has a copy of Akai Katrina And The Waves on XBOX 360, that's a BELTER of a shooter.

Oh hang on a minute, o1s1n, I'll raise you with my copy of Ketsui Extra. :D

Although I'll shortly be called and 'all-in'ed' by a certain someone that owns Ketsui Extra with that Godforsaken pamphlet!

edit: And I'll raise that Ketsui Extra with pamphlet with my copy of Refrain Prism Memories (SG-OCD) and my forthcoming SG-OCD copy of Crimzon Clover and vol's 1 and 2 of Shooting Gameside with a side pot of Darius Burst SG-OCD for tasting sessions! :D

I think tetris has to be the best value for money game of all time. I would literally play that forever.

My poison? Everything, that's the bloody problem! :D

Ha ha ha!! Don't I know all about it mate! There's always something else to get isn't there?
    Started collecting rare Megadrive games years ago..best bits would be a Sonic Crackers proto (moment of absolute madness) and a very early unreleased beta of Zero Tolerance that's really different to the final version and as far as I know the only one in existence (and undumped! :eek:)

Then have a load of rare PAL releases like Wily Wars, Duke Nukem, Ecco Jr etc.

Seriously impressive bud. I have only a handful of Mega Drive games and as my console is not working correctly its a situation unlikely to change. I will get a new one some day and I really really want, believe it or not, a 32X for it. I've always been interested in it for some reason - probably something to do with my interest in failed systems, and my love for Sega.

Have bits of everything though. If you work your way through the post here every time you get something new thread you'll see my slow descent into madness.

I'll have a butchers mate and will post also.....
    For the last while it's mainly been arcade hardware. Have a shedload of Neo Geo MVS carts. Dipped my toes in CPS2, but after 4 or 5 games I literally have no bloody room left for them!

I found my way on here today as I was looking nito getting an arcade cabinet for myself. I really want a Naomi cab. Don't see me getting one for a while though! Just something I think about every now and then....

Master of the Universe

I can fold with Panzer Dragoon Zwei but could call with DoDonpachi Daiepoieioufkudsgkjdshfjdfhslkfhkldshlkdgshljh and Espgaluda for PS2 if that's alright? :D

Combos?

/shoots back with Metal Slug 1,2,3,x,4 MVS carts (damn, if only I had 5 it would have been a Royal Flush :()

Divorced within a year? :pac:

You had a good run :p

If you have the room for it there's no greater joy. Hell, there's even a weird joy in having a broken cab! I can still look at it and do a lovingly sigh.

What about the Metal Slug 6 bootleg? :D

I'd love those MVS though, I love Metal Slug. If you're Metal Slug X was AES though I'd have had bowel issues. :o

Master of the Universe

Ha ha ha!! Don't I know all about it mate! There's always something else to get isn't there?

You think you're done and then the bastards here convince you to that you need a Vectrex, and Amiga, a candy cab and god knows what else. Run away with your wallet intact. Serious!
    Seriously impressive bud. I have only a handful of Mega Drive games and as my console is not working correctly its a situation unlikely to change. I will get a new one some day and I really really want, believe it or not, a 32X for it. I've always been interested in it for some reason - probably something to do with my interest in failed systems, and my love for Sega

Ah I know exactly what you mean. I love buying 32x games (and bad old games in general) and sitting there in disbelief at how bad they are. Don't know what it is!

I found my way on here today as I was looking nito getting an arcade cabinet for myself. I really want a Naomi cab. Don't see me getting one for a while though! Just something I think about every now and then....

There was a Naomi for sale on adverts a while ago but I think it was a little over priced. Looked to be in lovely condition though.

Ooh, here's one for €450. No pic though -

http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/sega-naomi-arcade-machine/795843

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What about the Metal Slug 6 bootleg? :D

I'd love those MVS though, I love Metal Slug. If you're Metal Slug X was AES though I'd have had bowel issues. :o

Hah, yeah, that Metal Slug 6 bootleg seems to be on loads of those multi game carts for some reason. I've never played it!

Actually the real Metal Slug 6 is an Atomiswave game. Would go with my candy....

Although I'll shortly be called and 'all-in'ed' by a certain someone that owns Ketsui Extra with that Godforsaken pamphlet!

What pamphlet is that? This ole black booklet jobbie below? Ah sure it's just a couple of screenshots with squiggly text beside them. :P :P Sure I'll swap ya for a mint rare MD Fifa '96 manual? :pac: Am, no. Your gameside shooter volumes are lovely looking though.

extra1e.jpg

extra2w.jpg

extra3o.jpg

Stop posting that Ketsui Extra pamphlet! :(

wip2.png

Master of the Universe

Hahaha, retro game booklet porn. Gotta love it :D

Cheers for the link mate. €450 is a lot of cash isn't it?! :( I was hoping to pick one up for about €300 but I suppose I'm being a little optimistic as €400 odd seems to be the going rate for a Naomi.

I'd love a vert Naomi with Ikaruga - I'd never be off the thing!

Are there any arcade in Dublin or Bray that have old school cabs in them that aren't the usual lightgun and car set-ups you see around? I remember there was an arcade on.... ah it was up at the top of Walbot Street (not the one down at the two retro game shops) that had a load of great cabs - I think it was turned into a very seedy looking gambling spot. Had a copy of Metal Slug running in there if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement