Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any Neo Geo AES owners?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This is really sounding promising!

What's the story with the spine stickers? Will they be MVS type labels (with pre printed games titles), or empty labels?

If they're pre printed it should be interesting figuring out what game labels people need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    This is really sounding promising!

What's the story with the spine stickers? Will they be MVS type labels (with pre printed games titles), or empty labels?

If they're pre printed it should be interesting figuring out what game labels people need!

Promising yes, but I definitely need solid costing as yet. Italy might not work and if so I'm going to bespoke my own and offer up prices that way.

The spine stickers from yer man in Italy are pro printed, proper adhesive stickers. They look like AES box spines but have MVS on them, a 'megs' box at the bottom of the spine. The sticker covers the entire length and bredth of the spine and is in full colour so it has (from top to bottom) NEO GEO > MVS> the game title/logo > MEGS info box. They do look proper tasty and professional looking. I'll get some photos.

I reckon by this time next week the situation and direction this is going to take will be a lot clearer. All that's needed then is people willing to commit and put up the cash. Hopefully after that we'll all be able to enjoy these boxes. :)

Feck. My MVS board broke in transit. Needs a new board which Jochen said he can get for me so it's not all bad news. :)

I had that parcel insured, can I claim off of An Post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

anpost.ie wrote:
    12. Claims

(a) Any claim must be brought by the Customer and submitted on an official An Post claim form (available at your local Post Office) to the Customer Services Section, An Post, GPO, O’Connell St, Dublin 1 within 30 days of the date of posting. Such claims must be accompanied by:

(i) Statement of the amount claimed (in Euro).

(ii) Copy of An Post receipt of posting.

(iii) Copy of Original Purchase Invoice of contents to provide evidence of cost price.

(iv) Detailed description of goods involved.

(v) In the event of non-delivery/delay/damage etc. copy of a written statement from the consignee confirming loss or damage.

If claiming for damaged goods, the address (and telephone number of contact) of where the goods are available for inspection should be supplied together with an estimate of the cost of repair.

N.B. All damaged goods and packing must be retained for inspection. Failure to do so may adversely affect claims.

(b) The amount of any such claim may not be deducted from any charges owed.

13. Claims - Time Limit

Claims not brought within the terms of condition 12 are excluded and no liability shall be accepted under any circumstances in respect of such claims.
    Was damaged when you were sending it back?

Yep, it was damaged upon receipt in Germany. Jochen is a legend though, he's taking pics etc of all the stuff for me.

We've sorted it though, he's getting me a new MVS board from his contacts and making some improvements to my MAK Strike and replacing the JAMMA connector.

Truly an honest, top man. Buy stuff from him. That is all. :)

After 754,000 years I finally have an MVS and Supergun again. I had to buy a new MVS as my old one was killed in action (thanks to An Post).

I now have an MVS1-FZ and MAK Strike. I can get it to display on the TV (at last!) but the picture rolls around constantly making it unplayable. To make sure it wasn't my MVS system I tried another cart and also plugged a JAMMA PCB in to the MAK Strike.

Same thing. Tried different SCARTS, the Sync Strike, a scaler, everything!

Any ideas what's going on? It has to be the MAK Strike surely as I have a new LG plasma and my LCD monitor does the same thing.

Am I ever going to get to play Neo Geo games? Seriously, this is doing my head in.

Edit: now with the PCB the screen just flash on for a second, the goes black for a couple of seconds, then comes back on for a second, then off, then on and so on.

Seriously thinking of jacking the supergun game in and just buying a cab at this stage! Where's my toys? I'm throwing them out of the pram! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Do you have a CRT to test it on? My Raiden II PCB flickered like mad on an LCD but was perfect on the CRT.

Alas not, I'm at a loss for what this issue is. The idea of this kit is to have it work on new tvs I thought.

I definitely think the MVS board is grand as my Mille Miglia 2 board flickers exactly the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Alas not, I'm at a loss for what this issue is. The idea of this kit is to have it work on new tvs I thought.

I definitely think the MVS board is grand as my Mille Miglia 2 board flickers exactly the same way.

No CRT :eek: :eek:

Dude, come on.

So all those nice shmups etc I see you getting are been played on LCD/Plasma screens.

Noooooooooooooo

• Advertisement

...with a scan line generator. :p

A cab is looking more and more likely. I'm getting ruffled that this thing just doesn't work and I have no idea why.

...with a scan line generator. :p

A cab is looking more and more likely. I'm getting ruffled that this thing just doesn't work and I have no idea why.

It's probably knackered.
    I'll give you 5 euro for it.

Aye but I just thought if you had access to any old CRT it would be an easy test of the MAK itself rather than all the other bits you need for LCD usage.

Do you have a multi-meter handy that you could check the voltages at the jamma edge under load? See if you're getting +5v and +12v etc.

I've a multimeter I can rob from work tomorrow. Good idea that man. :)

I'm still researching and a lot of stuff regarding PCB and MVS games on LCD And plasma televisions seems to throw up the same problem.

Hmm, no point buying a CRT TV, might as well just get a cab and be done with it at that point. I wonder if that really is the issue though as I have heard before that these types of games are very fussy on modern tellys.

Does anyone have an MVS working on a plasma or LCD?

Just tested my mvs 1 slot and supergun on a Samsung LCD I have it works perfect, no flickering at all. I wouldn't knock the idea of spending a few quid on a cheap CRT until your cab arrives. Yeah they don't have handy adjustment pots like a cab monitor but the cheapy Sony one I got worked great with PCBs that the same LCD above couldn't handle - unplayable flickering etc.

Success! I got the PCB to work so I am starting to think its my TV not liking the MVS. Couldn't get audio but I hadn't hooked up the phono breakout from the Sync Strike to my receiver to test it.

Definitely think its the MVS hating my TV. Time to buy a cab? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

After 754,000 years I finally have an MVS and Supergun again. I had to buy a new MVS as my old one was killed in action (thanks to An Post).

I now have an MVS1-FZ and MAK Strike. I can get it to display on the TV (at last!) but the picture rolls around constantly making it unplayable. To make sure it wasn't my MVS system I tried another cart and also plugged a JAMMA PCB in to the MAK Strike.

Same thing. Tried different SCARTS, the Sync Strike, a scaler, everything!

Any ideas what's going on? It has to be the MAK Strike surely as I have a new LG plasma and my LCD monitor does the same thing.

Am I ever going to get to play Neo Geo games? Seriously, this is doing my head in.

Edit: now with the PCB the screen just flash on for a second, the goes black for a couple of seconds, then comes back on for a second, then off, then on and so on.

Seriously thinking of jacking the supergun game in and just buying a cab at this stage! Where's my toys? I'm throwing them out of the pram! :)

I'm not being funny but you wouldn't have had a problem if you'd bought an AES - you'd have been playing away at the thing now for weeks.

Perhaps its worth examining the system again? You could sell the kit you have and get into the world of true Neo Geo gaming :D

I'm not being funny but you wouldn't have had a problem if you'd bought an AES - you'd have been playing away at the thing now for weeks.

Perhaps its worth examining the system again? You could sell the kit you have and get into the world of true Neo Geo gaming :D

I think he's planning on getting a candy cab at some stage so the MVS will slip right in then :)

Anyway, isnt the MVS the true Neo Geo? Even though they are more or less the same hardware the MVS came first in the arcades and then the AES a bit later for the home.

Honest question, I'm not just been a bitch, I swear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think he's planning on getting a candy cab at some stage so the MVS will slip right in then :)

Anyway, isnt the MVS the true Neo Geo? Even though they are more or less the same hardware the MVS came first in the arcades and then the AES a bit later for the home.

Honest question, I'm not just been a bitch, I swear :D

You're spot on MVS is the proper real deal and the Neo format with the most choice and the best value. Still though, the AES is pretty amazing too with a surprisingly great line-up at fairly affordable prices.

My ultimate gaming ambition is to own an original MVS cabinet with a selection of the best Neo Geo games in it that can't be bought for the home for afordable prices. The machine will cost a lot though so I might actually be as wise to get the home carts but anyway.... a bright red original 6-slot cab with Metal Slug 1, Blazing Lasers, Rage of the Dragons, Samurai Shodown Zero Special, Kizuno Encounter and Pulstar would be something, wouldn't it? :)

You're spot on MVS is the proper real deal and the Neo format with the most choice and the best value. Still though, the AES is pretty amazing too with a surprisingly great line-up at fairly affordable prices.

My ultimate gaming ambition is to own an original MVS cabinet with a selection of the best Neo Geo games in it that can't be bought for the home for afordable prices. The machine will cost a lot though so I might actually be as wise to get the home carts but anyway.... a bright red original 6-slot cab with Metal Slug 1, Blazing Lasers, Rage of the Dragons, Samurai Shodown Zero Special, Kizuno Encounter and Pulstar would be something, wouldn't it? :)

I advise against the 6 slot mvs. They seem to have lots of problems from what I've heard plus they take up loads of room inside a candy.

I use a single slot mvs in my candy and its great. I don't mind changing the games, it kind of feels good, in a freakish kind of way.

Looks like I'll be able to test the MVS on a CRT. Got my hands on a 34" CRT coming soon so proof of the pudding it shall be.

Cabs are the way forward though I know. I'm looking in to it... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've heard about the 6 slot having issues...however I've owned one for a few years now and never had any problems with it at all. It was brilliant when I had the woody with 6 selectable games in it.

No way it one fitting in a sit down candy though!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've heard about the 6 slot having issues...however I've owned one for a few years now and never had any problems with it at all. It was brilliant when I had the woody with 6 selectable games in it.

No way it one fitting in a sit down candy though!

I've no real experience with the 6 slot myself to be honest. I'm just going on what I've seen online etc.
    But you're right, a 6 slot definitely wouldn't be the best choice for a candy due to its size.
    I love my candy, but she's a skinny bitch :D

Great news! I got a letter in the mail from An Post with a cheque for refunding me the damage to my MVS1-A. Happy days and a big thanks to Jochen (who I know lurks this forum) for being a genuinely excellent man and helping me with everything. Delighted!

I swear to God the Neo Geo powers that be actually don't want me to get any sense of fun from the system.

UniBIOS v3.0 arrived today and it looked like Brian Cowen had sat on it.

Bent out of shape and complete with a broken pin. Surely I'm due some Neo Geo luck soon?

I swear to God the Neo Geo powers that be actually don't want me to get any sense of fun from the system.

UniBIOS v3.0 arrived today and it looked like Brian Cowen had sat on it.

Bent out of shape and complete with a broken pin. Surely I'm due some Neo Geo luck soon?

Bad luck dude :(

Those chips are usually fairly handy to fix as long as the problem is just the pins and not the chip itself.
    Anyway you can save it?

Do you happen to know what the difference is between 3.0 and 2.3?
    I've got 2.3(or 2.6, I cant remember) and was wondering if its worth upgrading to 3.0.

Lots of bug fixes I think and increased compatibility. My one is shot though. The pins were so badly mangled there's no way they could be saved unfortunately.

Emailed the guy though so we'll see... :)

Advertisement