Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to golden syrup in flapjack

Options
  • 21-08-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭

I've baked 3 batches of flapjack recently using 5 tablespoons of golden syrup in each. I'm guessing it's an important part of the recipe but it has such a strong flavour that if I add anything else into the mix (such as coconut or white chocolate) you can't really taste it.

Can anyone suggest a decent alternative, or perhaps a flapjack recipe that doesn't use it? I'd really like to make a flapjack where you could taste the extra ingredients.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Honey

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Would it have the same qualities required of a syrup in flapjack. And it's still quite a strong flavour, isn't it? I guess I'd love something that did what a syrup would do but didn't overpower the other flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I have literally just made a batch and I used honey. Did not appear overpowering at all as I wouldn't normally use honey. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Excellent, sounds like a plan. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wouldn't use honey. I used it as a substitute for golden syrup in caramel recently, and it had a really strong taste and wasn't as thick and as well set as it should have been. I can't see it binding the flapjacks properly. Corn syrup would do, or treacle but that would obviously taste a lot darker and heavier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Condensed milk? I use a Nigella recipe for oat/nut/breakfast bars they are pretty similar to flapjacks and sticks really well. Just warm up the milk slightly in the pan first before mixing in the ingredients.
    Tesco are doing a cheaper brand..elmlea or something like that of condensed milk now. The carnation one is good too but it's expensive unless you get in on special offer.

Advertisement