Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this was your cat would you want me to tell you?

• 21-08-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Well here is my dilemma, I have here a cat collar with a telephone no. I've had it now for a few months and today I am making the decision once and for all whether it goes in the bin and I forget about it or ring the number on it. Now if I ring the number I won't be sparing any of the gruesome details as to how it came to be in my possession and perhaps the person will think twice in future about forcing this decision on a stranger.

This collar came from a partially cooked cat that I had to cut out of the engine of a jeep belonging to a friend of mine with a ruddy great butcher knife.

Thankfully no damage was caused to the engine so that is not the issue, if it was, my friend would have made the call 2 months ago.

So my question is, if this was your cat, would you want to receive this call or not?

(Let's all stick with direct answers to the question please!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Yes, I would want to know definitely.
    What an awful thing for the cat and for you AJ, it can't have been pleasant.
    Have there been any signs up for the cat missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Yeah tell them, if they have kids the parents needn't tell them how horribly their cat died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Yes, I would want to know definitely.
    What an awful thing for the cat and for you AJ, it can't have been pleasant.
    Have there been any signs up for the cat missing?

Nope, but said friend had travelled quite a distance to get here with a few stops at different shops etc, cat was discovered on arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't see what benefit could come from you giving all the gory details, it's not as if the owners put their cat there :confused:

I think you should ring though, the owner should be informed that their cat has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Nope, but said friend had travelled quite a distance to get here with a few stops at different shops etc, cat was discovered on arrival.

Oh gawd, in which case there could be some person in another county frantically searching for their cat. Definitely make the call, as phasers said though, not sure you would need to give all the gory details, to be honest if it was my cat and I had been desperately searching for it, it would be bad enough to hear it had been found dead without being told all the details.

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'm a huge advocate of responsible pet ownership, so they either get all or nothing I'm afraid. If a person chooses to let their pet wander then they accept that it may come to an end like this or that they may never know what became of it. IMO it was entirely their choice that the cat was there in the first place. I am not know to be diplomatic with the truth (as I'm sure most reading this will already know!). I've spent 2 months already trying to decide and if the decision isn't made today the collar goes in the bin. I'm not delegating this to someone else, I'm the person who cut the cat out, so I'm the one who will either make the call or not as the case may be.

I know the above may seem very abrupt but there is no compromise when it comes to my own morals, it's what makes me who I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well then if thats your attitude with regards to responsible pet ownership the obvious thing is to tell them. If you tel them maybe if they get a new pet they may be more "responsible".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I'm afraid I'm a huge advocate of responsible pet ownership, so they either get all or nothing I'm afraid. If a person chooses to let their pet wander then they accept that it may come to an end like this or that they may never know what became of it. IMO it was entirely their choice that the cat was there in the first place. I am not know to be diplomatic with the truth (as I'm sure most reading this will already know!). I've spent 2 months already trying to decide and if the decision isn't made today the collar goes in the bin. I'm not delegating this to someone else, I'm the person who cut the cat out, so I'm the one who will either make the call or not as the case may be.

ring them and stop pussy footing around

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you're ringing them, if you can, make sure you start the phone call off in a fairly solemn way, so that you don't raise their hopes, even for a short while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Definitely agree with Spurious, it needs to be very clear from the outset that this isn't a good phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You've created a serious problem for yourself, you knew this all this time ~ think of the agony of its owners ~ they have probably come to terms that the cat has gone on a journey and may not return.

I might have wanted to bury the remains and erect a little cross and have a family parting ~ now, for those that believe that animals have souls too, this is forever lost to us [as the cat's owners].

Obviously I don't ~ but pet owners can be quite esentric for my tastes so one never knows.

It's not like you killed the thing, even the driver did not kill the thing ~ in this situation these cats are stupid ~ they just won't jump off or run away ~ I went through a few years were all the neighbors' cats decided that my van was the local cat café ~

I think you've left it too long. There's nothing that would convince me now [as the cat owner] that you did not have a part in my cat's demise and it's been playing on your conscious.

I suppose as a get out you might say you only found the collar yesterday and you don't know anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

Pet owners know the risk when they let their animals out of the house. Cats are very different from dogs. Me letting my cats out of the house for a while doesn't make me an irresponsible pet owner. I've had one that disappeared on me, but my other cats are allowed out and they always come home. You can't keep animals locked up all the time.

If someone rang me and said what you intend to I'd think they were ****ing twisted tbh.

Well I'm hoping at this stage all it will be is closure. I guess it's pretty definite I'll be making the call, just thought I'd see if anyone thought otherwise. I have seen quite a few cases of ranting and raving from people on facebook and name calling of people who had knocked down dogs, in one case there was even a reg. no. posted, so I guess my point is that if they decide to shoot the messenger - it isn't going to go down well!

The other thing is that it's a mobile no. so I could call voice-mail directly and leave a message which would at least mean they would have the opportunity to let it sink in and the choice of calling back or not would be theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Ring them and tell them them the cat had died in a road accident, that's all they need to know. They must suspect anyway, but there is a huge difference between suspecting and knowing for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

mhge wrote: »
    Ring them and tell them them the cat had died in a road accident, that's all they need to know. They must suspect anyway, but there is a huge difference between suspecting and knowing for sure.

+1

Don't think the owners need to know it was cooked in an engine. It would be too much for me to hear if it was my cat.

Just to clarify, I vote to ring them. If it was me it would give me closure.

Pet owners know the risk when they let their animals out of the house. Cats are very different from dogs. Me letting my cats out of the house for a while doesn't make me an irresponsible pet owner. I've had one that disappeared on me, but my other cats are allowed out and they always come home.

You have made that decision for yourself and that's fine as you have accepted that, from my point of view, no-one is ever going to have to deal with making the decision of making a similar call to me as my cat isn't let off my property.

So your saying it's a no for making the call? I'm a little unsure as your meaning got lost in the cuss words there. Hypothetically, I would obviously want to know but my attitude to owning a cat is possibly very different to the person who owned this one, which is why I'm asking this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you are going to call them there is absolutely no need to tell them all the gory details that you've posted on here. It will be enough that their cat is dead. They were responsible enough to put a collar on the cat, most cat owners allow their cats to roam free. I'm actually getting fed up with the constant threads on here about irresponsible cat owners who allow their cats out. Cats are treated differently in law than dogs, they are not required to be kept contained and under effective control, people building cat runs etc is a recent thing, until I started going on fora such as this, I didn't know such things existed. My cats have always been allowed out, yes, when we move I will be building a cat run for them, but that is my choice.

There is a thread on here about a cat that is missing from a cattery, that was a responsible cat owner, who is missing their pet dreadfully. Maybe this cat's owners were on holiday and it was an indoor cat, and whoever was cat sitting let it escape. You don't know the details, and personally I think to tell them how horrible a death their cat had is cruel. There is no need for it.

If something happened one day and your dog escaped, because accidents do happen, and that dog ended up dying in a horrible way, would you really want to know? Would it not be enough that your dog was dead?

I think the call should have been made a long time ago, and just to tell them that the cat died in a car accident, because that is what it was.

Hypothetically, I would obviously want to know but my attitude to owning a cat is possibly very different to the person who owned this one, which is why I'm asking this question.

I used to have a cat and I kept her indoors but she escaped once and was gone for three days. It was very hard not knowing.

My father also kept a cat who was free to roam as he was a former feral cat who got close enough to my dad to be in the house, but he needed to be outside too to hunt and patrol the grounds. Even though my dad allowed him out he would be devastated if the cat disappeared and I am sure he would want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I would tell them, if it were my cat I would be distraught not knowing. But I wouldn't tell them about cutting him/her out of the engine. I don't think I'd be able for hearing that. The knowledge that the cat died in the engine will hopefully be enough to change their minds about keeping their future cats indoors.

If you dont tell them, then they could have gotten another cat by now and he/she could be facing the same fate. The fact that they had a collar with their number shows some level of responsibility on their part, this could be a hard lesson learned for them, but only if they know.

• Advertisement

Right, well I guess I'll be leaving a voice-mail message letting them know that the cat has died in a road accident, if they return the call I'll deal with that conversation as it happens, but if they ask, I will tell them. It hasn't been on my conscientious at all, I've run over quite a few cats myself in my time and had a few that had to be taken to a vet as they (unfortunately for them) were not instantly killed, none of those had a collar or microchip and I assume most were feral so this is not something that was even an option before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

What's with your weird attitude to this entire thing?

Someone else's pet cat died on your property (well your friends if it's his car).
    You knew about this for 2.5 months.
    You should have rang then and explained what happened then.
    There are a lot of reasons for this, but I think ranking highly would be a bit of common courtesy.

If you're going to be so petulant and childish about it why don't you just text them

"your kat is dead soz"

All this guff about "compromising your morals" what are your morals at stake here? call credit? Is your entire issue the the principle that "cats shouldn't be let out".

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

I don't thinks its your place to give such an awfully cruel punishment to people you don't know, for doing something that I would find hard to describe as being irresponsible. They obviously know the risks of letting a cat outside.
    Going into the gruesome details is more than unnecessary, so rather than have to compromise how you roll maybe you should throw the collar in the bin.

I'm of the opinion that if you take responsibility for a life then you do all you can to keep it safe, it matters not that it's a child, dog, cat or a pet fly. I'm not religious so I believe that your time here is all there is. I am only considering this now as my friend took note of the number and I've just found out that she didn't make the call, which isn't required because as everyone else has so graciously pointed out, cats live by different rules.

I agree that your attitude is more than a little weird. Letting someone know that you have witnessed their pet's death is common courtesy and would typically be done swiftly and politely, without futher complications. Why the need to dither over it for two months? Or to force an "all or nothing" message? Why hasn't your friend done it in the first place?
    You are not obliged to notify the owners of course, but again it's common courtesy and most decent folks would do so without any sort of agonising.

My friend is not interested in animals at all other than livestock she keeps as her job, she does not 'get' that mine are considered family members. She didn't ring because there was no damage done to her engine. I didn't know this was the only reason she took the number and just found out when I asked her today that she didn't make the call. I do not tell lies, I'm not economical with the truth in any way, that's how I am. It's how I was brought up and it's why I answer most questions with, 'do you really want me to answer that? . . . '

But you said " I've spent 2 months already trying to decide"?

Honestly, just make this call. It's two minutes, the owners will get their closure and you won't have to think about it anymore. Don't leave voicemail or they might be back with questions. Just give them basic info to deal with and you're done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I'm of the opinion that if you take responsibility for a life then you do all you can to keep it safe, it matters not that it's a child, dog, cat or a pet fly. I'm not religious so I believe that your time here is all there is. I am only considering this now as my friend took note of the number and I've just found out that she didn't make the call, which isn't required because as everyone else has so graciously pointed out, cats live by different rules.

If my friend had taken the number then I would of been asking them, within hours, if they had spoken to the owner. If they hadn't then I would. Either way I would of notified the owner very quickly & I wouldn't of given them the gory details or made them feel responsible. I would try to think how I would be feeling if I lost a beloved pet.

Most of us who post here are compassionate to animals & it is a great shame if we cannot also be compassionate to other humans. If you are going to give the owner the truth then you will need to explain why they didn't get a call when it happened.

I cannot recall an incidence when one post has so changed my opinion of a poster. The owner of the cat may have responsibilities but so do you.

mhge wrote: »
    But you said " I've spent 2 months already trying to decide"?

Honestly, just make this call. It's two minutes, the owners will get their closure and you won't have to think about it anymore. Don't leave voicemail or they might be back with questions. Just give them basic info to deal with and you're done.

I'll do this then, yes I thought about ringing them at times during the 2 months and decided to make a decision one way or the other today when I found out my friend definitely didn't. I appreciate that I'm not coming across very clearly and I have no intention of launching into a whole this is what happened to your cat speech, however if it were someone ringing me to let me know one of my pets has died (as has happened on many, many occasions) I will know for a fact that I will ask every single detail over the phone. So if I'm asked what happened, how and where etc. I know how that conversation will go, which is why I am hesitant to make the call.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

What's with your weird attitude to this entire thing?

Someone else's pet cat died on your property (well your friends if it's his car).
    You knew about this for 2.5 months.
    You should have rang then and explained what happened then.
    There are a lot of reasons for this, but I think ranking highly would be a bit of common courtesy.

If you're going to be so petulant and childish about it why don't you just text them

"your kat is dead soz"

All this guff about "compromising your morals" what are your morals at stake here? call credit? Is your entire issue the the principle that "cats shouldn't be let out".

Agreed, very strange. If the OPs's morals were that strong he would have rang as soon as it became an issue for him rather than starting a thread to see what others think he should do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement