Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If this was your cat would you want me to tell you?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

What was there to gain from going into the details? .

Because somewhere, Lisa and Bart Simpson are rolling around the sofa laughing thinking it was a new Itchy & Scratchy episode ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

sambuka41 wrote: »
    In fairness the OP has explained that its wasn't their car, their friend only informed them recently that no call was made.

OP stated they, that is OP, have been trying to decide for 2 months whether to make the call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

AJ, im well aware of where you stand on the "inside or outside" cat debate but i cannot believe 2 months passed until this owner got a call. The fact that he was a moron is very disappointing, but i wouldnt have even waited 2hrs to call the owner let alone 2months!!!!!! :mad:

Did you think the owner didnt deserve to know what happened to their pet and were teaching them a lesson or something just because of how it died?I dont get it! As Bullseye1 said:
    Bullseye1 wrote: »
    What if the cat was an indoor cat and escaped when I child opened the door and that child has been worried ever since.

You seem to have absolutely zero tolerance for any outdoor cat regardless of how it ended up there which im finding incredibly difficult to understand in your posts lately. Would you have done the same with a dog knocked down on the road? Kept its collar for 2 months and not informed the owner?? :confused:Im really having huge difficulty with your very black and white attitude to things recently!

anniehoo wrote: »
    AJ, im well aware !

It's hardly worth analyses, I think it's one of those episodes that one has to just say OH! And file away as another life experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Okay, last post on this thread. I have never got the whole cat thing tbh, cat's in or out isn't something I gave much of a thought to. I'd say its fair to say I've passed one on the road or heard of one being killed once a week on average my whole life. The people who own them have a tendency to shrug it off as an occupational hazard or something and do the same when they cause damage and tell people they are practically wild animals and sure what can you do. I don't get this at all. The attitudes of a lot of cat owners on this forum are not something I have actually ever came across in the big world. I have owned everything from horses to pet mice and every size of animal in between and no other pet in the world is put at so much risk, therefore I had always equated them to me feeding the wild birds. Sometimes one disappears never to be seen again and I wonder briefly what became of it, then I get on with the rest of my life. I don't see how this is so hard to comprehend.

It's a lot less than 2 months since a kitten was dumped in my garden which we decided to keep and I honestly say that it never occurred to me to click on a cat thread before that. I cannot understand why this kitten should be treated more like a wild animal than a pet :confused: There is absolutely no difference between a cat as a pet and any other species in that respect, so therefore I am currently struggling a lot with the whole cat thing. I am also struggling with the completely illogical reasoning than people who are usually sensible think that it is ok to flatten a cat on the road and expect that the driver/finder/innocent passer by be the person who should take responsibility for it, if it were any other species there would be no doubt whatsoever as to who is responsible for someone's pet. There are no laws that tell people they have keep pet rabbits, guinea pigs or numerous other species safe but these aren't left wander around multiplying on a countrywide basis and having the roads painted with them.

Someone has said somewhere that cats are treated as second class citizens, and they are, but not by me! Look at the hoops a person has to jump through to get a dog from a rescue, when the same rescues will quite happily hand over a cat to any idiot. I know of someone who has a dog living its life on a rope that's 2 feet long with the other end attached to a brick, he's just been given a cat by a rescue centre!

Of course this is perfectly fine, it's clearly me that's the crazy person in the equation. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

AJ, I think the thing that is sticking in most people's throats, mine included, is the fact that you waited 2 months to phone the owner and even then you had to mull it over, that to me is the weirdest part of your story.
    Regardless off you opinions on cats being inside or out I would hope that as a pet owner you would afford a fellow pet owner the compassion to let them know that their animal wasn't coming home, to give them some closure. I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot you would like someone to do the same for you, it's all very well saying it would never happen to you but accidents happen all the time and pets escape, I hope it never does happen to you and you have to wait 2 months for a phone call to tell you what became of you pet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Can't believe this is still being talked about there's already been a beginning and end to the story. It turns out that it wouldn't of mattered if the op waited 2 months the owners didn't care in the end anyway and they did the right thing in the end. People make mistakes get over it.

People make mistakes get over it.

No. IMO no mistakes, this is a far more complex social issue.

The OP did not make a mistake, they were never in error ~ it was a judgment call, there was right left and straight ahead.

We got all three solutions in this thread ~ a bit eye opening TBH ~ turns out the OP turned right at the next junction and ended up at a surprising but dead end.

Hitchcock couldn't have written this better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Pics or it didn't happen.........

Just joking.... poor cat, you did the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think it's morally wrong to keep an animal prisoner indoors just because you want one around. At least dogs get brought out for a walk. Cats like to roam, if it get's out and doesn't come back it's just as likely it didn't want to be there as it is the cat died. At least cats have that option, dogs don't really.

The main reason cats stick around is to be feed, they can quite easily live perfectly well having never set foot inside a humans house. A cat is not the same as a dog in most ways, dogs are a pack animal that need to be part of a family a cat loves attention but just doesn't have the same need to be part of a family as a dog has, it's just their nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think it's morally wrong to keep an animal prisoner indoors just because you want one around. At least dogs get brought out for a walk. Cats like to roam, if it get's out and doesn't come back it's just as likely it didn't want to be there as it is the cat died. At least cats have that option, dogs don't really.

The main reason cats stick around is to be feed, they can quite easily live perfectly well having never set foot inside a humans house. A cat is not the same as a dog in most ways, dogs are a pack animal that need to be part of a family a cat loves attention but just doesn't have the same need to be part of a family as a cat has, it's just their nature.

Important note about the internet: your personal opinion based on limited experience is not a fact, and really shouldn't be represented as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Important note about the internet: your personal opinion based on limited experience is not a fact, and really shouldn't be represented as such.
    Cats have a completely different behaviour to dogs. I would have thought that was accepted fact.

Cats live wild in my area it's not at all unusual.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think it's morally wrong to keep an animal prisoner indoors .

Despite the warning about the 'internet' you are inherently correct. I have a flock of some sixty starlings, the results of 23 years of feeding them, magnificent, I have no cage but I can walk out my back yard and they just about tolerate me, they do fly away in this size a flock but the small brood of five or six [on their own] will stay.

And they recognise my signals when shooing away the crows and seagulls and will often stay as I rush out and shoo them away ~ strange that ~ otherwise the all fly away

gbee wrote: »
    Despite the warning about the 'internet' you are inherently correct. I have a flock of some sixty starlings, the results of 23 years of feeding them, magnificent, I have no cage but I can walk out my back yard and they just about tolerate me, they do fly away in this size a flock but the small brood of five or six [on their own] will stay.

And they recognise my signals when shooing away the crows and seagulls and will often stay as I rush out and shoo them away ~ strange that ~ otherwise the all fly away

A flock of sixty starlings from 23 years of feeding them eh?

And animals should be allowed to roam eh?

So you'll be just fine when someone moves in next door with three marauding outdoor cats that they allow roam free, and those cats begin to decimate the work of 23 years eh? That's all just a part of how nature works after all...

Okay, last post on this thread.
    Fair enough but im not sure why though.
    wrote:
    I have never got the whole cat thing tbh, cat's in or out isn't something I gave much of a thought to

AJ you've just been given Mod status which i thought was fantastic until ive recently seen your views on cats.Im actually shocked at your intolerance when you're so tolerant and articulate when it comes to most things.

For example..
    wrote:
    The people who own them have a tendency to shrug it off as an occupational hazard or something and do the same when they cause damage and tell people they are practically wild animals and sure what can you do. I don't get this at all.
    The "people who own them" is ME!! I adore my 2 cats (one ,Molly was a stray who had nowhere to go...and all the other the little feckers im feeding (and trying to TNR in my estate).I live in a very urban estate,trying not to piss off my neighbours but at the same time hoping people tolerate cats. Most are strays...2 are my pets.

My god, i cant believe im arguing the fact that i have to tell you that a dead cat with a collar and tag on needs that number to be called!Straight away!

I could imagine it was a little teenager with no mobile,who loves her kittie, putting it on her (with the only number she had), the dad is ambivalent and replied to your call, sayin he couldnt care less. If its sounding personal, it is.

I struggled with my parents and neighbours in a very URBAN environment let alone a rural one, caring about cats and how they aren't so bad.Im actually and genuinely horrified that you had a collar and tag for 2 months and only now called the "owner".

three marauding outdoor cats that they allow roam free, and those cats begin to decimate the work of 23 years eh? That's all just a part of how nature works after all...

I drive a Land Rover ~ as alluded to earlier, there has been a lot of cats gone missing in my own neighbourhood.

I have already said the local cats thought my van was the local cat cafe. And if you've read one of my other posts I said cats are stupid in this situation.

<snip>

Despite this my most recent neighbour's cat think's I'm their friend. :(:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭NiRiainRua

Yes I would want to know you had found my deceased cat.
    It may have been a child's pet, they may have been looking for her, asking animal shelters
    and advertising. They cared about that cat or they would not have put their number on the collar.
    I don't see why you have to give them the gory details, why not just say she
    must have climbed into the engine compartment and died?
    If they ask what happened to the remains I would just say you took them to a vet for disposal.
    Please spare them "we had to scrape her off with a shovel".

I drive a Land Rover ~ as alluded to earlier, there has been a lot of cats gone missing in my own neighbourhood.

I have already said the local cats thought my van was the local cat cafe. And if you've read one of my other posts I said cats are stupid in this situation.

<snip>

Despite this my most recent neighbour's cat think's I'm there friend. :(:mad:

o_O

You do realise that the post you were agreeing was making the point that cats should be allowed to roam, and here's you saying you'll kill them if they roam onto your property?

<snip>

Are there any cat owners around HERE that are willing to defend this awful diatribe (posh word for sh*te)! Seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

<snip>

Despite this my most recent neighbour's cat think's I'm their friend. :(:mad:

I have a cat who is 3 years old at this stage and despite having a cat run & having fenced in the back garden for him he still manages to escape outside from time to time (He has now figured out how to open the windows)
    If I thought for one second that there was someone in my neighbourhood who was deliberately setting out to kill the neighbourhood cats (and there are a few) I'd be furious & devastated in equal measure

I cannot believe that you would run over or strangle any cat that had this misfortune to stray onto your property
    It could be a child's pet that got let out accidentally (as happened with one of my old cats my sister let him out and he was dead 10 minutes later on the road) :(
    It could be a Houdini cat like my fella who escapes at every opportunity but always comes home (he was sitting on the front step this evening when I got home and I hadn't even realised he'd done a runner)

What harm is a cat going to do during a 5 minute wander through your garden
    Fair enough if there are strays trying to adopt your garden as a new home there are ways of getting rid of them without killing them
    <snip>

I'm appalled honestly I am
    Its beyond my comprehension how anyone could have such a cavalier attitude to a living creature
    No matter how much you may abhor cats blatant cruelty is never acceptable

I am truly disgusted by your post
    And rather disappointed that you didn't get infracted for it seeing as this is the Animal & Pet forum :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

angelfire9 wrote: »
    I am truly disgusted by your post
    And rather disappointed that you didn't get infracted for it seeing as this is the Animal & Pet forum :(

In fairness it was posted at 01.20 this morning, I imagine the mods are asleep in their beds. Did you report the post? Unless people report posts, nothing can be done about it - yes, I did report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

<snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

As usual another thread turns into a mud slinging match. Look seriously, as far as I was concerned someone was going to ring the number. I hadn't spoken to the person between times and I'm not in a habit of conducting interrogations on someone I trust enough. Believe me I was only too happy to push the matter to the back of my mind. I don't know where anyone is getting the idea that this thread is about cats, it isn't.

Anniehoo - I'm sure you have also read where I wrote that the attitude lots of cat's owners on this forum have to their pets is not something I have ever come across elsewhere, but you seem to have taken personal offence at a comment which accurately describes the general population of cat owners.

I'm applying exactly the same logic to this as I do anything else. I have posted many times on this forum that if I find a dog on my property it will be taken to the pound. That's the system that's in place, there isn't one for cats so I put up with them, a cat isn't capable of killing horses so I don't really need to take any action other than cleaning up their mess. Right at this minute there are 2 cats in my drive that aren't mine, I'm not going to be trying to find owners for those either because I already know whose they are and they haven't escaped from anywhere.

Anyway this is going to have to be locked now and I think it's clear why, so lets not have a load of accusations that my personal opinion is the reason for it.

Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement