Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

college hours

• 21-08-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all
    I am 2 boards.ie!!i am considering applying to Carlow to study next year as a mature student.i would qualify for BTEA and am assuming carlow is the nearest to me..(kilkenny)i am wondering about college hours & attendance as i would have to be finished to collect my kids from school!!!i know it sounds like a minor query but it is a deciding factor for us.
    maybe i am mad to even consider college as i wont see 40 again and have 4 children.!!!!!!!!!!

any imput would be greatly,greatly appreciated.

motherD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Your post is not very clear??

of course you will have to attend class (well majority anyway)if you want to have a good degree. You cannot simply go to college, not attend and expect to do well.

Class times depends on what course you are doing and can vary from year to year. You could be lucky if you were finished every day by 3.30.

Forgive me if I am picking you up wrong, but was not sure what you were even asking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Classes can run anywhere between 9AM-5PM but generally you'll only be doing 14-16 hours a week. If your kids are finishing school at 3PM and you live in Kilkenny then your last class would have to finish at 2PM.

Id say you are likely to miss at least 5 classes a week if you finished at 2. Alot of lecturers post their notes/lectures on Blackboard (VLE) so you could catch up if you are vigilant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 motherD

Thank you almighty1 seems like you understood my post
    i am trying to figure out how much of a stresser it would put on my family as a whole and wheather could catch up if i had to leave @ 2 maybe 2/3days per wk.

helpful to know that some lecturers post their notes.

as

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Hey MotherD

Some lectures leave course note on the net if you are lucky. I was so fingers crossed. I have a kid myself and I do know how I still managed to pass but it wont be easy.

Can you not get someone to pick your kids up? Or bring them to a crèche or school in Carlow. It won't be easy but if I can do it so can you :)

Advertisement