Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mirror spinnaker

• 21-08-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I sail a Mirror, and I only recently got round to rigging the spinnaker on it. However, the halyard keeps getting caught when hoisting and dousing the spinnaker. It does hoist, but only with a lot of vigorous pulling, which obviously slows the whole process down, and I'm also worried about the sail tearing on the chute.

I have checked the halyard, and it is not tangled with any of the other lines on the mast or in the cockpit. I can't figure out where it is catching - possibly the crane at the top of the mast? Any help would be appreciated.

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Couple of things could be causing it.
    The pulley's may be ceased so give them a blast of WD40.
    The retrieval line coming out the back of the sock might not pass through easily and could be dragging when you hoist the spinnaker.
    The halyard might be too thick for the pulley's.

Could be something else but I 'd say they are your main culprits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Thanks for the reply.

Whether or not it's the problem, I'll definitely give the pulleys a blast with some WD, no harm and they could probably use some all the same.

The halyard goes through the pulleys fine if you take the tension off just before it, so it's not that, unfortunately.

I'll check the sock, and the chute, make sure everything is running smoothly there. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

No bother.
    I may not check back so pm me if you still have any trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

is the spinaker old?
    the older the cloth the more friction will there will be when its trying to come out of the sock. if this is the case spray your sock with Mclube.

Advertisement