Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No mobile phone signal.

Options
  • 21-08-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I entered an 18 month contract recently with Meteor and got a great new phone. However, I've noticed that there is absolutely no mobile signal at all when I am in work, and most of the time, I cant get a signal at home either. These are the two places I would mostly use the phone, and while I like to have it with me while driving, i think it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile if I cant use it the two places I am most of the time.

I havent contacted Meteor about this yet, but from any of your past experience, is there any point? Is there anything that can be done about it?
    Cheers

(Mods, sorry if wrong forum)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭col.in.Cr

I had the same problem and all they said was we do not have 100% full coverage,useless *****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Archeron wrote: »
    Hey all,
    I entered an 18 month contract recently with Meteor and got a great new phone. However, I've noticed that there is absolutely no mobile signal at all when I am in work, and most of the time, I cant get a signal at home either. These are the two places I would mostly use the phone, and while I like to have it with me while driving, i think it kind of defeats the purpose of having a mobile if I cant use it the two places I am most of the time.

I havent contacted Meteor about this yet, but from any of your past experience, is there any point? Is there anything that can be done about it?
    Cheers

Depending on how long ago you bought the handset you should be able to return it within 14 days of purchase if in unused condition, meteor will probably be aware of signal difficulties in your area also.

they cant hold you in an 18 month contract when they know you will get no or very low service levels that contract would not be fair. If you examine the terms and conditions there is severability when service levels drop below certain limits which meteor are aware of. what you may need to do is call and write to them with coverage complaints until they get a coverage check done in your area/house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Depending on how long ago you bought the handset you should be able to return it within 14 days of purchase if in unused condition, meteor will probably be aware of signal difficulties in your area also.

Is that not only for an unopened phone, the OP has used theirs so it will be difficult.
    they cant hold you in an 18 month contract when they know you will get no or very low service levels that contract would not be fair. If you examine the terms and conditions there is severability when service levels drop below certain limits which meteor are aware of. what you may need to do is call and write to them with coverage complaints until they get a coverage check done in your area/house.

+1 and get onto them ASAP. Depending on how long you've had your contract they may say that it's not an issue since you have had the phone for x days and not reported anything.

I've noticed that some phones have better reception then other, my old N95 regularly gets 3g coverage in my apartment while my Desire doesn't. So if they won't release you from contract see if they'll allow you change phone, but only as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Archeron

thanks for the replies everyone. I've had the phone about 4 months now, so I dont think there is much I can do. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get through to the service desk and complain about no coverage. See if you can get the engineers to agree that there is poor coverage in your area. if you can do that, then you have a basis to quit the contract, as Meteor cannot provide the service that you are paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Hey all,

Cheers

thanks for the replies everyone. I've had the phone about 4 months now, so I dont think there is much I can do. Cheers.

So is it the new phone thats going out of network

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Archeron

Bob Z wrote: »
    So is it the new phone thats going out of network

What happened was that I had a work phone on O2. When I left the job, I wanted to keep the number, so they switched my number from their company contract to a pay as you go.

After a while, I went to O2 to switch to contract for a new phone and contract package, but in the end decided to go to Meteor billpay, so my first experience with meteor was both the new phone and the new contract, so i honestly dont know. The O2 service was fine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Toppdogg

I am on Meteor and have a signal in the back and front garden but not in the house. Just inside the front door is the only place I can get a good signal. Anybody else experienced this???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What happened was that I had a work phone on O2. When I left the job, I wanted to keep the number, so they switched my number from their company contract to a pay as you go.

After a while, I went to O2 to switch to contract for a new phone and contract package, but in the end decided to go to Meteor billpay, so my first experience with meteor was both the new phone and the new contract, so i honestly dont know. The O2 service was fine though.

That's what you get for leaving us :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Toppdogg wrote: »
    I am on Meteor and have a signal in the back and front garden but not in the house. Just inside the front door is the only place I can get a good signal. Anybody else experienced this???

Its all down to coverage and many factors affect this including the construction of buildings in the area and your own house.

In short just because this happens to you doesn't mean it happens to others in the exact same manner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Anyone I know with Meteor spends most of their time saying "Hellooooo, Can you hear meee?" into it. Stupid idiots.

I honestly don't know how how they have a license (Meteor) with the Crap reception they have around the Country.

Advertisement