Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medival wall festivals

• 21-08-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just found out that today is the day that lots of towns which have old medival walls in them around Ireland have a medival festival today.

Is there one on in Limerick today?

Someone just texted me from the Youghal one. From what I gather there is something in Kilmallock as well today.

Just seems like something that could be held in the city as well given the walls of Limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just found out that today is the day that lots of towns which have old medival walls in them around Ireland have a medival festival today.

Is there one on in Limerick today?

Someone just texted me from the Youghal one. From what I gather there is something in Kilmallock as well today.

Just seems like something that could be held in the city as well given the walls of Limerick.

I hadn't heard of anything about today but I know Limerick got funding from a medieval wall group to fund the repair of some of the walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

saw something about the Kilmallock one in the paper didnt realise it was national, but what do you expect from people who let trees grow out of the side of the castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    saw something about the Kilmallock one in the paper didnt realise it was national, but what do you expect from people who let trees grow out of the side of the castle.

Just seems a shame that somewhere like Limerick city that has medival walls and that has a hell of a history had nothing today.

Not totally sure how many places were doing it today, but the Youghal one was celebrating it's fifth year today as part of the Medival wall festival, and Kilmallock had something today for it.

My friend who was at the Youghal one said there was something in county Waterford as well today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »

While I agree with you about the trees and you can add weeds and green slime, afaik, the walls are managed (in a lose term) by the city council while the castle is managed (in a loser term) by Shannon Heritage and never the twain will meet by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jokasy

Just info - 20-28 August - National Heritage Week.

http://www.heritageweek.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement