Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious primary school for a non-religious child?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

Both my husband and I are atheists, and while I wouldn't have an issue with my daughter choosing to believe in God when she's older, I'd like her not to be taught religion at a young age.

I have just sent pre-enrollment forms to all the Educate Together schools in Dublin, but considering my daughter is already 2.5, our chances of getting her in are very very slim :-(

I'm starting to think that I'll have no choice but to send her to a religious school.

I understand that I can opt out of RE, but I've been told by my SIL (who works in a Catholic school) that some schools have a stronger religious ethos than others (such as having prayers before lunch / in the morning, crucifixes in the classrooms, or etc...)

Can somebody recommend a religious school, Protestant, Catholic or other, that would be suitable for non-religious children?

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

I teach in a Catholic school and whenever I've had children in my class who weren't taking part in RE, there has never been a problem.

Yes, there are prayers in the morning, lunch and before going home, but this is never a problem for the children who have opted out of RE. And yes, there is a crucifix in the room, but again, this doesn't cause any problems for the children who don't take part in RE.

You will find that your daughter will do well, whatever school she ends up in. In my own experience, whenever I teach the Alive-O programme, it's mostly about how to be a good person. Nothing very indoctrinating. You have nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chocolatebuton

My DS1 have been only in NS (national schools) if it makes any difference - they did told kids religion, but just as far so they know what is what and what those stories in bible means. Not overtaking. We dont go to church ourselves, but if our children will choose it, at least they will know what they are choosing. Its not like they are turning kids into catolics - its parents who build foundation for future life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

We are atheists and our kids go to a Catholic school.

I would agree with the previous posters that the Alive-O syllabus for catholic religious education has a lot of "love your neighbour as yourself" emphasis, BUT, it is still ALL about God.

Most schools do not have the staff level to have supervision of kids who have opted out of religion class, so the kids sit in the class and do other work. I let mine participate.

The problem comes in Communion year when they have rehearsals 3 times a week for weeks before hand and it is the sole topic of conversation for the whole year. We found it very hard.

However, the school were very supportive.

I don't think anyone can make a suggestion for a particular school without knowing what location you are interested in.

Your SIL is right, some schools have more of an emphasis on prayer than other. You should ask for a meeting with the head of your local school and ask them directly and get a tour of the school. You will get a proper feel for how welcoming the school really is of non-Catholics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, there are prayers in the morning, lunch and before going home, but this is never a problem for the children who have opted out of RE. And yes, there is a crucifix in the room, but again, this doesn't cause any problems for the children who don't take part in RE.

Can you clarify this a little? Are the kids who have been opted out of religious education present when you say prayers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Thereyago

We are also non-religious parents in same dilema and would love to hear more from similar parents who have children in national/catholic schools.
    In particular what was it like during communion year?

I think a few prayers here and there in school is not going to make your child feel out of place.
    But the whole year dedicated to first communion is going to make them feel different from the other kids, if they are not partaking.

Unless of course there are quite a few kids not taking communion then they wouldn't feel so out of place.

Is it the norm that everyone just tows the line and most kids do take first communion? or would there typically be 5 or more kids in a class that don't?

The whole thing really is a joke, 90% of schools being religious. Surely ethics (love your neighbour etc) can be taught without involving God, and then religion class be taught after normal school hours, for those who want it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

JohnSuttle wrote: »
    A lot of people care that their child is being refused a place (or threatened with refusal) in a school because he/she does not have a Catholic baptismal certificate.
    Both discrimination on enrollment and religious instruction without parental permission are illegal, and should be stopped.
    Do we have another case of the whole country turning a blind eye to the Catholic Church's breach of the law of the land. [SNIP]
    Untrue, schools are legally allowed to give preference to children of a particular religion, Catholic/Jewish/Church of Irelnd/Muslim or whatever. You seem rather keen on pushing the Clonfert report for some reason,not sure why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fullbackline

"They have illegally removed rights from children of minorities, and continue to increase their control of the schools - again illegally."

What evidence have you to support this strong statement?

Advertisement