Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy Dying

Options
  • 21-08-2011 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Over the last week my ivy on the bank at the rear of the house seems to be dying off. I have had this with individual plants every so often but not to this scale and all at the same time. Any suggestions as to what could be causing it?

Cheers

Jonny

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

My guess is that the plants aren't getting water. The steep banks combined with the membrane would make it very difficult for the plants to hold onto rainfall.
    2 other possibilities; dog urine? drift or overspray from herbicide - was the lawn sprayed with a weedkiller?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Thanks for the reply.

We had suspected the dog but we were away for the last week and they are worse than ever (The dog was away also). How long after he did his business would you expect to see them dying?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

We had suspected the dog but we were away for the last week and they are worse than ever (The dog was away also). How long after he did his business would you expect to see them dying?
    It depends, if he pees regularly in the same place the plants could show scorching in a few days. It would be exaggerated by the dry weather - yes, it has been relatively dry, though it's hard to believe :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Must be drought so, have lost abour 20 plants in the last week. cheers for the help

Advertisement