Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacker Group Anonymous in Waterford ?

• 21-08-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

rgxEk.jpgMG]

Was in town just their and coming down facing the clock town this poster caught my eye, Anyone know anything about this ?
    It would seem to me that their going to effect waterford in near future

i think it's pretty cool what their doing for internet activism

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

It's just some young fella who thought he'd be cool and put up an anonymous poster.

Betcha anything.

What are they gonna do in Waterford in fairness, hang a big poster of Guy Fawkes off the Ard Rí?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

It would seem to me that their going to effect waterford in near future

Lol,cause Waterford is so globally known.
    Expect us is just their motto of sorts. The next "big" thing is apparently in either sep. or oct. they plan to shut facebook down.

Reckon the poster is just some tween thats into them and is printing posters off.Load of people say that their part of the group but they're more supporters than anything and don't actually hack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

haha I hope they shut down facebook

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I hope they don't. (they obviously won't)

A lot of businesses depend on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Here's a link to the wiki site about them,has a list of stuff they've done and plan to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_%28group%29#Operation_Facebook
    I hope they don't. (they obviously won't)

I wouldn't be so sure.I used to think they were harmless enough but over the last while they've gotten very handy at hacking sites.They destroyed Sony for a bit,totally fecking up their network.Apparently that was easy for some of em, reckon all Facebook users could be in for a shock come November.My advice for anyone on facebook would be to make sure that your password for facbook is different from your passwords for other sites and stuff, cause the first thing to go, judging on past attacks, will be account information and then the network will be attacked.I'd be careful of new apps as well,especially on facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

No its just some dope 16 year old idiot who thinks he is part of some super secret club. I bet he hardly even knows how to run a virus scan on his computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'm on google+ I'm grand lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Just on the site there and they seem to think they can change the world, seems alot of gullible and ni-eve(sorry for bad spelling) people are joining up. They'll probably put a tiny bit of graffiti on the ard ri and that'll be the end. Someone watched to much V for Vendetta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Meatwad wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure.I used to think they were harmless enough but over the last while they've gotten very handy at hacking sites.They destroyed Sony for a bit,totally fecking up their network.Apparently that was easy for some of em, reckon all Facebook users could be in for a shock come November.My advice for anyone on facebook would be to make sure that your password for facbook is different from your passwords for other sites and stuff, cause the first thing to go, judging on past attacks, will be account information and then the network will be attacked.I'd be careful of new apps as well,especially on facebook.
    It'll be a lot of people running attacks using Nessus (DDOS most likely). Facebook will crash for a couple hours. Then the numbers running the attack will drop, FB will come back up. Thatll be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

The attack on Facebook will take place but it will not take down their servers completely. It will stutter for an hour or so and might even timeout for some people but will not completely shutdown. The reason behind this is not because they can't take it out ( look at Paypal and Visa ) but instead it is the fact that the group is divided with this operation. Many of the more senior members have claimed that this is not a legitimate operation so it will not be as well publicised for the hive to be successful.
    The more senior members will not partake in this attack or use their botnets which is the main reason for major sites going offline.
    With regards to the poster found in Waterford, I am glad to see some local support. Anonymous is not just a group of basement teenage hacker wannabes. It is a collective of individuals that fight for internet freedom and more importantly to expose Scientology for what it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nialeon

If they can **** over the CIA... they can **** over facebook without breaking a sweat.. these guys normally do what they say there going to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

nialeon wrote: »
    If they can **** over the CIA... they can **** over facebook without breaking a sweat.. these guys normally do what they say there going to do!

Theres a slight difference between fcuking over the CIAs advertisement division(their website) and the CIA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭denballs

hmm

Advertisement division...yes!! these are the people they go after...multi media giants..they target companies to make a statement of intent! Sony, CIA. & of course they will take down facebook for a few hours! to be fair we could all do with a few months away from facebook!! not just a few hours! :-)

nialeon wrote: »
    Advertisement division...yes!! these are the people they go after...multi media giants..they target companies to make a statement of intent! Sony, CIA. & of course they will take down facebook for a few hours! to be fair we could all do with a few months away from facebook!! not just a few hours! :-)

if they wer to take down both fb and evony.com...it would be amuseing......

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

If they could take down the Ard Ri while they're at it it'd be great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm all for exposing scientology but why facebook? They aren't forcing anyone to join, last them I checked they don't even advertise to anywhere near the likes of Coke.

For all the people that blow on about privacy on facebook like if you don't want your personal info up online don't put it up anywhere?

I dunno, I think in today's world that there would much more legitimate targets then some young guy who gut lucky setting up a website.

jayboi wrote: »
    If they could take down the Ard Ri while they're at it it'd be great....

Have to love our Waterford HUMOR! Fecking class.:D

if they wer really good they,d hack microsoft...adding an update which every windows 7 pc would then download and send info to them.........oh...wait someone better...already did ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

An awful waste of Sellotape to be honest .

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm all for exposing scientology but why facebook? They aren't forcing anyone to join, last them I checked they don't even advertise to anywhere near the likes of Coke.

For all the people that blow on about privacy on facebook like if you don't want your personal info up online don't put it up anywhere?

I dunno, I think in today's world that there would much more legitimate targets then some young guy who gut lucky setting up a website.

The reason they are targeting facebook is because you can no longer delete your account. You can only disable it and then recover it. This means that even if you wanted to delete your data they will not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

The reason they are targeting facebook is because you can no longer delete your account. You can only disable it and then recover it. This means that even if you wanted to delete your data they will not allow it.

I head it's because they were selling our info to 3rd party company's after telling the public that they didn't :/

I head it's because they were selling our info to 3rd party company's after telling the public that they didn't :/

That is another unconfirmed reason yes.

Then I guess boards are screwed cause you can't delete your account here either :)

Selling personal info however if true I can understand.

ziedth wrote: »
    Then I guess boards are screwed cause you can't delete your account here either :)

Selling personal info however if true I can understand.

I am not sure about the history of boards, but the issue is that when facebook members joined a few years ago the ability was there to delete your account. That facility has now been removed and members were not asked or informed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

As an aside, there's nothing more irritating than people posting links to Facebook when you're not a member and don't wish to be one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    As an aside, there's nothing more irritating than people posting links to Facebook when you're not a member and don't wish to be one.

make a fake account? Why are people getting so uppity about the info on Facebook? If you don't want them to have your info then don't put it in, it's not that hard.

jive wrote: »
    make a fake account? Why are people getting so uppity about the info on Facebook? If you don't want them to have your info then don't put it in, it's not that hard.

While I completely understand your argument and believe me I fell pray to it at the beginning as well, I think your idea of what facebook has become is misplaced.
    When you created your account, there was the option to delete the information. Just like with Google, you can purge your search history if you go into the settings. However, Facebook has changed this option so that you can no longer delete your information. This means that your information belongs to them and you have no control over what they do with it. You can only deactivate your account and then re-enable it, there is no longer an option to delete. This is a huge issue and I am sure that data protection lawyers are preparing many law suits to change this as soon as possible.

^ I don't see how (in my very limited legal opinion) that it could be a data protection issue. All they are doing is keeping a few photo's,posts and info that the user put on their site.

I honestly don't see where all the outrage is coming from. That's not to say that it isn't warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

i don't remember putting peoples phone numbers on it but when you go into account then edit friends then on the left contacts it has a list of peoples phone numbers.

Advertisement