Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eclipse/SVN query

Options
  • 21-08-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm working on a private project that takes the form of a long form tutorial (I'm following a book through from start to finish). Unfortunately I accidentally deleted (overwrote) my self written code and had to download the book's source at chapter 10 rather than starting from scratch again.

The code provided by the publisher includes a load of weird files with non-printing characters. I believe they are some Mac editor remnant. The files in question all have a ._ prefix, for example in my controllers directory I might have a ProjectController.php and a ._ProjectController.php file (all the files in the whole project code have this weird duplicate).

I set up SVN on Assembla.com (great repo etc. service for small projects completely free btw) and checked in the publisher source code. I checked it out through Subversive for Eclipse on a Linux machine and was pleasantly surprised to see none of the duplicates had been checked out (they ARE in the repo though, but as I never need to work with them, it's fine). The Subversive plugin for Eclipse had apparently filtered them out.

I then went to do the same procedure (checkout) on my Windows machine (also Eclipse with the Subversive plugin) and when I navigate the project in Eclipse I see no weird ._ files anywhere but if I look at the project using Windows Explorer they are there, so they have been checked out apparently.

So, my longwinded question boils down to this: Can I prevent Subversive in Eclipse on the Windows machine from checking out these files completely and why would they not be present in the Eclipse file navigator but show up in Windows?

Why are they not being checked out at all in Linux?

I'm someone who uses SVN for work but doesn't know much about how it works, just know how to check out, commit, update really. Have never used SVN's more advanced features and I want to teach myself (will treat my next private project as a production code one and use branches and tags etc. and keep the trunk in permanent dev mode, but I need to address these SVN basics first).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Are these files hidden and in .svn folders? If so, these files are used by SVN and are needed.

Could it be that you are not showing hidden files in Linux (assuming you are using a GUI File Manager)?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Are these files hidden and in .svn folders? If so, these files are used by SVN and are needed.
    There are also hidden .svn files also but these ._* files are not inside the .svn folders.
    Could it be that you are not showing hidden files in Linux (assuming you are using a GUI File Manager)?
    I thought that too but even on the command line these files are not present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

Yeah, quick google shows these files are from Mac OS X (which you guessed).

http://www.westwind.com/reference/os-x/invisibles.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleSingle_and_AppleDouble_formats

You should probably just delete these files from the repo.

Why they are not being checked out on your Linux box... I dunno. :o:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ah thanks for the confirmation. They ARE actually being checked out by Linux (I used the ls -a command to see them) so that's good as it's consistent behaviour and was really puzzling me. I think I'll just do a search and delete as you said and recommit the whole lot. Thanks for the help :)

Advertisement