Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Towing jeep

• 21-08-2011 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    What ye reckon is the best jeep alround for towing cattle trailers with no strain on it.

As part of this, I would be rating value for money, tax band and fuel economy, reliability.

Have a commercial at the moment but have to get a passenger jeep and wonder which one is best job.

on lookout for a fresh second hand one that is low enough on tax but will still tow.

New Sorento is under-powered compared to old 2.5L. Santa Fe would not pull a cattle box and 5-6 weanlings. LC is too expensive. Pajero is a guzzler and high tax.
    Any other ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

TUBBY wrote: »
    Have a commercial at the moment but have to get a passenger jeep

Have you checked into the running costs? A passenger jeep with cost you an arm and a leg compared to a commercial. Do you really need one? Have you a car aswel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Hi Muckit, yeah we have a car too but looking like passenger jeep needed alright as the car is not at home most of time and little crew with booster seats etc have to be ferried round. Commercial leaves me snookered.

I know the running costs of the passenger will be a crippler but think it our only real option. Thats why I posted cause reckon lot of lads in same boat. Was thinking crew cab even but hard to know as I hear they are not as steady with a load behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Im in the same boat i wonder would it be as cheap to have a second car and only use the jeep when needed for towing . Would the savings on diesel be better than the higher tax on the jeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭caseman

Hi Muckit, yeah we have a car too but looking like passenger jeep needed alright as the car is not at home most of time and little crew with booster seats etc have to be ferried round. Commercial leaves me snookered.

I know the running costs of the passenger will be a crippler but think it our only real option. Thats why I posted cause reckon lot of lads in same boat. Was thinking crew cab even but hard to know as I hear they are not as steady with a load behind.
    I have nissan navara ,no problems towing often had five cows behind.
    A little highly geared. Had a L200 better towing, less comfort,
    likes more diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

izuzu d max

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,674 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dual cab would. Be a good balance you should still get commercial tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

I did a bit of research on this Tubby and the Nissan Navara is your best bet in my very humble opinion.
    Cheap commercial tax, reasonably efficient (as jeeps go...), reliable, reasonably comfortable, good value for money.
    Best of luck and keep us posted!
    Lads,
    What ye reckon is the best jeep alround for towing cattle trailers with no strain on it.

As part of this, I would be rating value for money, tax band and fuel economy, reliability.

Have a commercial at the moment but have to get a passenger jeep and wonder which one is best job.

on lookout for a fresh second hand one that is low enough on tax but will still tow.

New Sorento is under-powered compared to old 2.5L. Santa Fe would not pull a cattle box and 5-6 weanlings. LC is too expensive. Pajero is a guzzler and high tax.
    Any other ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Friend of mine has just gotten a D-Max after looking at all the crew cabs. anyone he spoke to told him to avoid the navara, even one lad who was selling them.

The consenus seemed to be L200 or D-Max was the way to go.

If you're happy with the risk of grief for having child seats in the back of a crew cab then a 3l D-Max would seem to be the best option.

If you want to go full passenger then I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that anything less than the ubiquitous land cruiser is a false economy.

I've done the maths before on car & commercial jeep and it doesnt stack up unless you're doing a lot of milage, and most of it in the car.

What's your budget? I see you talking about new sorentos. If you're considering spending that kind of money then get a few years older land cruiser and spend the savings on road tax imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

We have a single cab l200 for the farm work and separate car for the long commute to work. Single cabs are cheap as chips and you can often find them with very low mileage. great to pull too!

Ok,

I just dug out the figures I'd done in excel before and updated them to current fuel prices.

I compared a commercial jeep doing 25mpg and costing €450 to insure, alongside a 1.8 diesel focus doing 50mpg and costing 450 to insure compared versus a 3.0 landcruiser doing 30mpg and costing 600 to insure

I split the jeep and car 5000 and 15000 miles with the landcruiser doing the full 20,000 and the combined fuel, tax and insurance costs come in at €684 less on the land cruiser.

If you drop to 15,000 miles 3500 jeep, 11,500 car that gap widens to €916.

However, if you do a lot of driving and can keep the miles on the jeep down then it can swing the other way.

5000 miles in the jeep and 23,000 miles in the car is the break even point.

I've attatched the excel file if you want to play with it.

• Advertisement

Excellent JohnBoy!!

Don't forget that if you have a commercial jeep that is doing mostly towing a trailer, mpg could be down as low as 12 to 15 mpg. Also factor in the fact that service and repair costs will be much higher for the Jeep than the car.
    JohnBoy wrote: »
    Ok,

I just dug out the figures I'd done in excel before and updated them to current fuel prices.

I compared a commercial jeep doing 25mpg and costing €450 to insure, alongside a 1.8 diesel focus doing 50mpg and costing 450 to insure compared versus a 3.0 landcruiser doing 30mpg and costing 600 to insure

I split the jeep and car 5000 and 15000 miles with the landcruiser doing the full 20,000 and the combined fuel, tax and insurance costs come in at €684 less on the land cruiser.

If you drop to 15,000 miles 3500 jeep, 11,500 car that gap widens to €916.

However, if you do a lot of driving and can keep the miles on the jeep down then it can swing the other way.

5000 miles in the jeep and 23,000 miles in the car is the break even point.

I've attatched the excel file if you want to play with it.

What's your budget? I see you talking about new sorentos. If you're considering spending that kind of money then get a few years older land cruiser and spend the savings on road tax imho.

Defo not new Sorento territory anyway. Was just saying that most newer models are well down on power.
    From what ye say and also looking at options, I reckon a crew cab with back seats best option. That calculator shows that second car and a hacking jeep isnt really an option.

May start looking at Done Deal but will be doing nothing unless I shift my yoke first:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Defo not new Sorento territory anyway. Was just saying that most newer models are well down on power.
    From what ye say and also looking at options, I reckon a crew cab with back seats best option. That calculator shows that second car and a hacking jeep isnt really an option.

May start looking at Done Deal but will be doing nothing unless I shift my yoke first:D

crewcab would be your best option, navaras are nice but clutch dosent like abuse, l200 just looks wrong, dmax great,but very small inside.
    ive a hilux, no problems with it, plenty of room in back for baby seat and two boosters, and all the farm crap is kept to the back bed. have had a ton on the load bed, only pull a 2 cow box, but forget its there at times, a little jiggy under braking with trailer (unbraked) loaded. dose about 25mpg all short runs and a lot of stop start, think it dose just over 30mpg on a long run, cruse speed about 110kph dosent like much over this.
    missus has a santa fe, dont think it would be up to much with a trailer on the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

If you are moving cattle short journeys you could use a tractor and a bigger box
    to move more at a time and keep a small cow box for the car for long journeys calves etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bit of a tough one to sort out, lot to be said for having only one kid, commercial jeep and diesel car, scratches head. Can you tax a landy commercial even if it has glass and seats in the back?:confused:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bit of a tough one to sort out, lot to be said for having only one kid, commercial jeep and diesel car, scratches head. Can you tax a landy commercial even if it has glass and seats in the back?:confused:

Your joking. If that were the case, you'd have to be able to tax a minibus as a commerical van!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 scub

I have a Hi-lux crew cab and would recommend it. The only down side is i've had adults complain of car sickness when in the back of it.

Had a test drive of a D Max today. Tight enough for space I thought but it would be the best rated for towing of the crew cabs. The Hilux would have best engine i would imagine but the 2.2 ton is the only downside for towing.

test driving a good skite of crew cabs over next couple of days and will see how they go. Little bit giddier on road than the jeep and bit harder get used to parking i would say but the back seats are a great job.

Just a quick one, is there any talk of taking the commercial tax of crew cabs. remember a rumour near one budget about that before.

Had a test drive of a D Max today. Tight enough for space I thought but it would be the best rated for towing of the crew cabs. The Hilux would have best engine i would imagine but the 2.2 ton is the only downside for towing.

test driving a good skite of crew cabs over next couple of days and will see how they go. Little bit giddier on road than the jeep and bit harder get used to parking i would say but the back seats are a great job.

Just a quick one, is there any talk of taking the commercial tax of crew cabs. remember a rumour near one budget about that before.

There are some threads about Commercial Tax on crewcabs on the Morots forum of boards. As far as I can gather, some local authorities require that you produce the PPS Numbers of 4 employees in order to be able to tax your crewcab as a commercial. This is to ensure that you are not using the crewcab as the family runaround with booster seats in the rear. The other option is to tax it privately - but this can be rather excessive.

AFAIK, not all Local authorities require that you produce the PPS numbers, so you could be lucky or unlucky - depending on where you live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

reilig wrote: »
    There are some threads about Commercial Tax on crewcabs on the Morots forum of boards. As far as I can gather, some local authorities require that you produce the PPS Numbers of 4 employees in order to be able to tax your crewcab as a commercial. This is to ensure that you are not using the crewcab as the family runaround with booster seats in the rear. The other option is to tax it privately - but this can be rather excessive.

AFAIK, not all Local authorities require that you produce the PPS numbers, so you could be lucky or unlucky - depending on where you live!
    a family farm employs all the family so give all their numbers.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    a family farm employs all the family so give all their numbers.

That was suggested in the Motors Forum too, but the PPS Numbers have to be registered as employees of the farm. I know on most family farms, the only PPS number registered for tax purpose is the senior member of the household. So giving your wife's and children's PPS numbers won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

When I was taxing our new to us landcrusier the other day I had to provide a form signed by garda saying it was for commercial uses and also provide the insurance to prove its insured as a commercial

When I was taxing our new to us landcrusier the other day I had to provide a form signed by garda saying it was for commercial uses and also provide the insurance to prove its insured as a commercial

As a farmer, you will be using it for commercial use though, who't you?
    The problem is with the crewcabs. Too many people are buying them and using them as private passenger vehicles and taxing them as commercials. Revenue are losing out big time on tax intake, that's why they are clamping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

has anyone any experience with the smaller jeeps like Rav 4 or the Grand Vitara or Honda CRV when it comes to a bit of general hacking?

I don't mean pulling half a dozen bullocks or anything but for a 2 cow box or a couple of weanlings. I know that they are more car based but do they offer any advantage over a big car when it comes to towing or offroad work?

they don't look as robust as the bigger jeeps but wondering if they would be amore economical option.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

One to consider would be the new Volkswagen Amarok pickup. AFAIK, it's a Hilux sized crewcab with a two litre engine. I would expect that taxing it as a car shouldn't be much different to taxing a two litre car.

http://www.volkswagenvans.ie/ie/en/Models/amarok.html

It's been used as a support vehicle is the last two Dakar rallies.

MM016152.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

jay gatsby wrote: »
    has anyone any experience with the smaller jeeps like Rav 4 or the Grand Vitara or Honda CRV when it comes to a bit of general hacking?

I don't mean pulling half a dozen bullocks or anything but for a 2 cow box or a couple of weanlings. I know that they are more car based but do they offer any advantage over a big car when it comes to towing or offroad work?

they don't look as robust as the bigger jeeps but wondering if they would be amore economical option.

The older rav4 was rated to pull 1500kg and the vitara 1850kg.

greysides wrote: »
    One to consider would be the new Volkswagen Amarok pickup. AFAIK, it's a Hilux sized crewcab with a two litre engine. I would expect that taxing it as a car shouldn't be much different to taxing a two litre car.

The amarok is forty grand I think though, nice, but not cheap.

taxed privately it would be taxed on it's emissions, and I think comes in at a grand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The amarok is forty grand I think though, nice, but not cheap.

€27,000 - €32,000

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

ex vat?

fairly sure blackwater have one out front that's in or around the 40k mark.

could be the top spec model I suppose.

ex vat?

Yes, sorry. €31,600 to €38,110 with VAT.

Prices here.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
Advertisement