Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Day Lewin wrote: »
    That last one, looks to me like either the poor guy had brain damage from an assault and then, delusions: or else the onset of schizophrenia.
    he's about the right age group.

Is it possible that his wild claims were true? Why would four strangers target this foreign man who clearly hadn't much money?

Yes I reckon his actions relate to the assault.

Watching the CCTV never sits well with me, just watching him go off camera at the end and then disappear forever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Favourite is the wrong word, but Trevor Deely, which must have been mentioned already in this thread.
    Same age as him I think and I was at a Xmas party that night too. I started a job this week opposite Wilton Terrace where he left his office that night. I always called this area Trevor Deely Land. We'll never know what happened :(

Favourite is the wrong word, but Trevor Deely, which must have been mentioned already in this thread.
    Same age as him I think and I was at a Xmas party that night too. I started a job this week opposite Wilton Terrace where he left his office that night. I always called this area Trevor Deely Land. We'll never know what happened :(

Oh yes of course! Me too. This disappearance really got to me and still does, I remember the posters going up when we were thinking about buying Christmas presents. I work very close to his old office now, I think about him whenever I pass the building. I had so much hope last year with the dig, I was disappointed when nothing came of it. I can't imagine what the family went through.

RockDesk wrote: »
    Oh yes of course! Me too. This disappearance really got to me and still does, I remember the posters going up when we were thinking about buying Christmas presents. I work very close to his old office now, I think about him whenever I pass the building. I had so much hope last year with the dig, I was disappointed when nothing came of it. I can't imagine what the family went through.

I know, that dig was heartbreaking, imagine how it was for his poor family.
    Do we work in the same building ;) ?

I know, that dig was heartbreaking, imagine how it was for his poor family.
    Do we work in the same building ;) ?

:D:D I'm on Leeson Street! But I walk around the canal sometimes at lunch

• Advertisement

RockDesk wrote: »
    :D:D I'm on Leeson Street! But I walk around the canal sometimes at lunch

You might spot me by the canal at lunchtimes, guess what I'll be eating most days?

I'll keep an eye out!

search.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

I passed by the Milanos on Haddington Rd recently and noticed that the ATM CCTV camera which recorded Trevor passing it is still there although not in use. Hard not think of him whenever passing through the area.

Another mysterious disappearance is Esra Uyrun - leaves the house one morning telling her husband she's driving to the shops 10mins away but CCTV at said shops didn't pick up the car until 30mins later; approx 50mins after that her car is picked up on a CCTV camera in Bray where it had been abandoned; months later the car keys are handed into a Clondalkin chipper (where she lived). I don't think her case is widely known about.
    https://www.thesun.ie/archives/irish-news/12979/my-sister-esra-is-still-out-there-i-dont-think-she-took-her-own-life-2/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I feel that way about Deirdre Jacob. We were the same age, at the exact same place in our lives re:college etc. At the time we even had the same hairstyle. I always wonder what happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

:eek: I've just stumbled across a real doody, on Reddit / You Tube!

This is ten minutes of ye inpatient and valuable time ye Won't feel I've got ye to waste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Stigura wrote: »
    :eek: I've just stumbled across a real doody, on Reddit / You Tube!

This is ten minutes of ye inpatient and valuable time ye Won't feel I've got ye to waste!

The whole David Paulides 'Missing 411' phenomenon is very unnerving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

MH370 - unfortunately it looks like that one will never be solved, even if they do find the wreckage (highly doubtful) I can't imagine the memory cards still are readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

"Lyle Stevik" has been positively identified
    Lyle Stevik was the alias used by an unidentified man who committed suicide by hanging in 2001, in a motel in Amanda Park, Washington. As of 2018, his actual name has not been discovered.[3] The man was seen alive prior to his death, including at the hotel where he died. He had checked into his room as Lyle Stevik, possibly using a name based on the name of a character from Joyce Carol Oates' novel You Must Remember This (1987).

https://www.reddit.com/r/lylestevik/comments/8hwezg/mod_news_lyle_has_been_identified/?st=JGXTD2ML&sh=b4397ba6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I've often wondered if I could find out exactly what happened with regard to any unsolved mystery of my choice, what would I select

It would just have to be Madeleine McCann surely. I'd be amazed if we ever found out to be honest

The Ramsey case too but there was a body actually found in that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Wow. I can't believe he's been identified. Have followed his story for a long time. I hope we find out who he is although at present his family have asked for his name not to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Wow. I can't believe he's been identified. Have followed his story for a long time. I hope we find out who he is although at present his family have asked for his name not to be released.

Similar to what happened in Sligo a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

How they get the figs in the figrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

What happenend to the King of the Pirates Henry Every. Once one of the wealthiest non-Royal people on the planet, certainly the wealthiest pirate, folk hero/villain, and in the 1690's the subject of arguably the first worldwide manhunt. He was also responsible for one of the first deteriorations in relations between Britain and the Arab world.

He was tipped off before his capture and disappeared, last sighted in Ireland, but also rumored to also haven ended out in places as varied as Devon, the US or Madagascar. A bounty of £1,000 remained on his head until his death. The other mystery is what happened to the treasure that he stole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Every

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I always watch episodes of Disappeared when on and the disappearance of Steven Koecher is one that really upsets me for some reason. He was captured on CCTV in a residential area and never seen or heard from again.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/truenoirstories.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/the-disappearance-of-steven-koecher/amp/

Trailer from the series:

https://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/disappeared/videos/steven-koecher-is-missing-in-las-vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Very unlikely at this stage, but I would love for the Hinterkaifeck case to be finally solved. Brutal and bizarre, and the poor maid had only commenced employment with the family that evening, just hours before being murdered during the night. As with all these cases, one can only wonder what the victims went through prior to death.

Also the Sodder children - was there a kidnapping and conspiracy (and if so, were the children possibly later killed, as the older ones especially would surely have spoken out eventually) or was it the desperate delusion of heartbroken parents who refused to believe that their children were dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Greybottle wrote: »
    The other mystery is what happened to the treasure that he stole.

He buried it in a chest, on a desert island. Drawing a map and marking the spot with an X. They always do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Very unlikely at this stage, but I would love for the Hinterkaifeck case to be finally solved. Brutal and bizarre, and the poor maid had only commenced employment with the family that evening, just hours before being murdered during the night. As with all these cases, one can only wonder what the victims went through prior to death.

I would say that was the neighbour. The students that did the report wouldn't name anyone because there are people still alive, but i remember seeing the map and the woods etc.

The Circleville Letters - http://www.the13thfloor.tv/2017/01/04/the-mysterious-and-unexplained-incident-of-ohios-circleville-letters/

and

Amy-Lynne Bradley - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Amy_Lynn_Bradley
    She went missing during a cruise with her family in 1998. About a year later someone said that she came up to them at a brothel. She told him that she is Amy Bradley and she asked for help. Before he could do anything, she was brought upstairs by another Prostitute and one of the managers. Much later (after about 5-7 months) he reported what had happened to the police, but by then, the brothel had been burned down.picture was also emailed to her parents (NSFW)
    http://i.imgur.com/exzlVW9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I can't use the word 'favourite' as it is heartbreaking for the families... but the disappearances of multiple women in Leinster during the mid 1990s, including.

Annie McCarrick
    Jo Jo Dollard
    Fiona Pender
    Deirdre Jacob
    Fiona Sinnott

There's always the throwaway line that it was Larry Murphy with zero evidence.

What became of these women? Was it a series of unconnected circumstances or was a single person involved?

Back then, mobile phones were rare or non-existent. You couldn't text to say that you were in Town X with Mr. Y. It was phone boxes and precise meeting times. Otherwise you were off the grid.

I hope their families find closure one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    I can't use the word 'favourite' as it is heartbreaking for the families... but the disappearances of multiple women in Leinster during the mid 1990s, including.

Annie McCarrick
    Jo Jo Dollard
    Fiona Pender
    Deirdre Jacob
    Fiona Sinnott

There's always the throwaway line that it was Larry Murphy with zero evidence.

What became of these women? Was it a series of unconnected circumstances or was a single person involved?

Back then, mobile phones were rare or non-existent. You couldn't text to say that you were in Town X with Mr. Y. It was phone boxes and precise meeting times. Otherwise you were off the grid.

I hope their families find closure one day.

Fiona sinnott they know who did it but guards can't prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

brilou23 wrote: »
    Fiona sinnott they know who did it but guards can't prove it

There's also a strong suspect for the Fiona Pender case.

The other three are still unsolved and likely to remain so.

The Murphy reply may well be likely, but, a court needs evidence; and there is none - not a scrap; not a button nor a hairclip of any of the women was ever found.
    Whoever did it, caused them to disappear suddenly and completely; and how likely is that? Easy to do?

In fact it is very unusual!

There may be a link to a different case - the Gardaí certainly thought so at one time:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crerar-may-have-raped-and-murdered-other-women-26245163.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Whoever did it, caused them to disappear suddenly and completely; and how likely is that? Easy to do?

In fact it is very unusual!

Not that difficult or that unusual, unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santino_Di_Matteo
    In retaliation of Di Matteo becoming informant, the Mafia kidnapped Di Matteo’s 11-year-old son, Giuseppe Di Matteo on November 23, 1993.
    ...they held Giuseppe for 26 months, during which time they tortured him and sent grisly photos to his father to force him to retract his testimony although he'd already signed a legally binding deposition.

Di Matteo made a desperate trip to Sicily to try to negotiate his son's release but on January 11, 1996 after 779 days, the boy, who by now had also become physically ill due to mistreatment, was finally strangled on the orders of Giovanni Brusca. The body was subsequently dissolved in a barrel of acid to prevent the family holding a proper funeral at which they could mourn and to destroy evidence — a practice known colloquially as the lupara bianca.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

New Home wrote: »
    Not that difficult or that unusual, unfortunately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santino_Di_Matteo

Bleedin 'Ell, I was enjoying my Sunday until I read that :-(

May they come to evil and awful ends, whoever could do such a thing to a child. :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

May they come to evil and awful ends, whoever could do such a thing to a child. :mad::mad:

Absolutely horrific. That poor little boy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

In their line of work, you can rest assured they will.

Advertisement