Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

How do they get the figs into the fig rolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Up Donegal wrote: »
    How do they get the figs into the fig rolls?

10/10 for originality :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

How do they get the figs into the fig rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I'd like to know how my stunning, funny, smart wife know I'm about to write something about her and proceeds to look over my shoulder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

Trekker09 wrote: »
    I'd like to know how my stunning, funny, smart wife know I'm about to write something about her and proceeds to look over my shoulder?

micro tells in your body language or demeanor which she picks up on consciously or subconsciously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

razorblunt wrote: »
    Why don't they just make airplanes out of the black box material?

Aluminum is easier to get off the ground, weight wise

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Dyatlov Pass incident. 9 Hikers died in mysterious circumstances hiking in the Ural mountains in the Soviet Union, 1959.

There is a video game based on this called Kholat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Airplane food, what's up with that?
    Cabin pressure would be set to seven or eight thousand feet.

So you loose your appetite and your taste buds go on a work to rule.
    The recycled air doesn't help.

And the food is made by the lowest tender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

GoneHome wrote: »
    Fascinating report by Rosita Boland in last Saturday's Irish Times about Peter Bergmann, who's body was found washed up on Rosses Point beach ten years ago this week. So many unanswered questions even down to the basic fact that he has never been identified.
    Link to the report here:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-unsolved-mystery-of-peter-bergmann-1.3923308
    Podcast just released too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A really clear account of the Bergmann case.

I'm surprised they haven't matched the DNA yet - or at least partly matched to some kind of family.

There are unsettling similiarities to The Somerton Man. https://allthatsinteresting.com/tamam-shud-somerton-man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Day Lewin wrote: »
    A really clear account of the Bergmann case.

I'm surprised they haven't matched the DNA yet - or at least partly matched to some kind of family.

There are unsettling similiarities to The Somerton Man. https://allthatsinteresting.com/tamam-shud-somerton-man

I think Irish Times or Irish Examiner just carried an article on the Peter Bergmann case. It's quite a mystery, but also quite sad. It's clear the man came to Ireland to die and to die quietly. His cancer or cancers were quite advanced and he would have been in a lot of pain, I think they found only aspirin on him or in his system (that was detectable in the autopsy anyway).

It reminded me of a story I read once about a guy who moved into a rundown part of LA, very cheap, low cost but very poor. In the 1990s it became a haven for gay men to move to and to die cheaply and quietly of AIDS.

There could be more to Bergmann but the methodical approach he had to his own end is not something you see very often.

Somerton man is an amazing read! Especially because something similar happened before his death.
    WIKIPEDIA wrote:
    In June 1945 – three years before the death of the Somerton Man – a 34-year-old Singaporean named George Marshall (born Joseph Saul Haim Mashal) was found dead in Ashton Park, Mosman, Sydney, with an open copy of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam on his chest.[100] Ashton Park is directly adjacent to Clifton Gardens. His death is believed to be a suicide by poisoning, and occurred two months before Harkness gave Boxall the inscribed copy of the Rubaiyat. Marshall was a brother of David Marshall, who was later to become Singapore's first Chief Minister. An inquest was held on 15 August 1945; Gwenneth Dorothy Graham testified at the inquest and was found dead 13 days later face down, naked, in a bath with her wrists slit.[101][102]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabant_killers

This one is pretty cool. Never heard tale of it until I read Bill Bryson's book about his travels across Europe.

Essentially in the 80s a troupe of bandits would carry out random armed robberies across Belgium (in the province of Brabant), often with high caliber weapons, but take very little cash. 28 people died as a result of their crime spree and their identities are still unknown. All they had were three suspects: "The Giant", "The Killer" and "The Old Man".

Failure to solve the case led to a reform in the Belgian police. Interesting story all told.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cabin pressure would be set to seven or eight thousand feet.

So you loose your appetite and your taste buds go on a work to rule.
    The recycled air doesn't help.

And the food is made by the lowest tender.

Ah lads these weren't serious questions like!

But thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ah lads these weren't serious questions like!
    But thanks anyway!

You triggered the automatic answering service. It was an involuntary response.

It's like the scene in Hitchcock's The 39 Steps when Mr Memory is asked what the 39 Steps are...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You triggered the automatic answering service. It was an involuntary response.

It's like the scene in Hitchcock's The 39 Steps when Mr Memory is asked what the 39 Steps are...

:D

Eh ...

What are the 39 Steps?

:D
    Eh ...
    What are the 39 Steps?

Seeing as you have asked me what are the 39 Steps... jump to 4:25 of this clip.

WARNING: Contains spoilers for the 1939 and 1959 adaptations of The Thirty Nine Steps (but not the original novel or 1978, 2008 adaptations)

Can't watch that, I've never seen the movie. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

It would be a pretty perfect place to operate....many people seem to assume that it couldn't happen here.

I think so - look at the number of missing people, especially in recent months.

Can't watch that, I've never seen the movie. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

You're in for a treat. I wish I could delete my memory of it so I could watch it again fresh.

Don Kemp:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Don_Kemp

Most of it seems pretty non mysterious. It really looks like the guy had a meltdown (reading other information about it) but the weird phone calls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Esho wrote: »
    I think so - look at the number of missing people, especially in recent months.

I often wonder about that too, the missing person list is endless, but I wonder how many turn up at some stage?

Jill Dando, who & why?

The disappearance of Leah Roberts:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Leah_Roberts

(Yes I was watching Unsolved Mysteries last night - fecking mad cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The Emanuela Orlandi case currently in the news again is intriguing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Emanuela_Orlandi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Jill Dando, who & why?

Who? The fellah who was originally convicted (and later acquitted, amazingly). Why? Because he's a raving lunatic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Emanuela Orlandi case currently in the news again is intriguing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Emanuela_Orlandi

And connected to that, there's this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Mirella_Gregori

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Who stole the washer off the Mooncoin Pump?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A reminder of the big one.

What happened to the Neanderthals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

A reminder of the big one.

What happened to the Neanderthals ?
    We did, cap. We killed 'em all. Probably raped a few of their women too, from the results of genetic studies in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

mikhail wrote: »
    We did, cap. We killed 'em all. Probably raped a few of their women too, from the results of genetic studies in recent years.

Ah here! a fist of mammoth hair around a hole in a rock would have been a safer bet! Jaysus.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

main-qimg-6f6cfa591f827de507ea38068adc1522

Maybe with 20 pints in you? :D

Advertisement