Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Wonder who built this? and why?

Göbekli Tepe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe)
    Göbekli Tepe is a hilltop sanctuary erected on the highest point of an elongated mountain ridge some 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) northeast of the town of Şanlıurfa (formerly Urfa / Edessa) in southeastern Turkey. The site, currently undergoing excavation by German and Turkish archaeologists, was supposedly erected by hunter-gatherers in the 9th millennium BCE (c. 11,000 years ago, but no tools have been found, so the origins are unknown and open to speculation at this time). Together with Nevalı Çori, it has revolutionized[2] understanding of the Eurasian Neolithic. This site is almost 12,000 years old, and pre-dates any civilizations found on earth by several thousand years. When found, it appeared to be deliberately buried in sand, for reasons unknown.

These are fairly mad, they sat there for around 1500 years unnoticed then someone in a plane spots them.

The Nazca Lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazca_lines)
    The Nazca Lines are a series of ancient geoglyphs located in the Nazca Desert in southern Peru. They were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994. The high, arid plateau stretches more than 80 kilometres (50 mi) between the towns of Nazca and Palpa on the Pampas de Jumana about 400 km south of Lima. Although some local geoglyphs resemble Paracas motifs, scholars believe the Nazca Lines were created by the Nazca culture between 400 and 650 AD.[1] The hundreds of individual figures range in complexity from simple lines to stylized hummingbirds, spiders, monkeys, fish, sharks, orcas, llamas, and lizards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,065 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I was going to mention that, along with the ones found off Cuba and India but I'm not sure if any have been confirmed as of yet as man made structures, would be bonkers if they were though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's interesting that while there are people who are sucked in by mystery stories there are people at the other end of the spectrum who are so resolutely skeptical that they somehow accept the first reasonable sounding explanation, regardless of evidence.
    Most "unsolved mysteries" have plenty of theories on them. Just because one person is convinced by a particular theory doesn't make That mystery solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is the Pop Music Industry Dead.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ditch wrote: »
    " But, there was no way to see if she was sexually traumatized or not. In the morning. "

:confused: How come? Are we extrapolate then that she also suffered a severe axe wound to the ..... well ... 'Axe Wound '. A nasty gash to the .....
    Not terribly funny. In fact, not even amusing. :rolleyes:
    Ditch wrote: »
    And there we have it; The perfect platform from which ye can each demonstrate ye own, better grasps of the situations :)

1/ Why was this ..... what? 'Supposed'? 'Imagined'? 'Fantasised' ? " Sexual Trauma " not able to be proven / disproven?

Who ~ originally ~ even brought it up, at the time? It's like the supposition that the killer returned to the adults bedroom and gave them some more:

Says who? Based on what? Sorry; Just smacks of more Wikishit.

Jesus :( Have we Really reached a stage where the mentality of, " I want it Now. I want it for as few key strokes as I can use. I want it for Free. "

" Damn Paying; There's Got To Be Someone, Somewhere, on line that'll allow me to just Take what I want. Now; Before I 404. "

That is a mystery, to me. When the hell did that mind set take over?

Only, could we please separate the answers into the " -40 and 40+ " age groups. That could be fun!

Yeah; Or the subject of a whole new thread .....

I'm not quite sure what you are ranting on about. What has -40 and 40+ got to do with anything. I was referring to the crude pun with which you were trying to gain a few laughs. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Larianne wrote: »

Easy....Mystic Meg.

And my favourite unsolved mystery is the wife.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I love the unsolved mysteries of Unsolved Mysteries.

And how JB Fletcher got away with all those murders she "solved".

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

groovie wrote: »
    IS that a true story?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    IS that a true story?

Either way I am not sleeping tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

That Hoffa fella is an interesting story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

noxqs wrote: »
    Going to second "Bloop" and the other related unknown sounds from the depths of the oceans. Who knows what's down there. There's reports of whales with gigantic suction marks from squid - how big does a squid have to be to take on a killer whale or bigger ? :eek:

I remember reading something by an oceanographer (Ballard?) where he mentioned the reason that ocean charts look so flat is because we still haven't mapped most of it and that the money dedicated to ocean exploration was a fraction of the cost of the space programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

The Murder of Isidor Fink

Classic locked-room mystery. Fink was found shot dead but there was no gun in the room, the door was locked from the inside and there was no other way to leave the room.
    I always loved using this in my English-language classes to get people discussing it.

Though the murder was never solved, police later came up with an explanation that's generally accepted as what happened, though no-one knows why Fink would have been murdered.

What probably happened...
    The murderer knocked on the door, Fink answered and the murderer stayed in the hallway while shooting Fink through the open doorway, then ran away. Then (the least plausible part), the dying Fink managed to lock the door before he died.

He could have shot himself, and then the little boy who the policeman sent in the window to open the door for him thought to himself "ooh look a gun! That'll be fun" and stole it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Where is Wally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    There's a theory that there was/is a few serial killers at large in Ireland but unlike UK media with this sort of thing the Irish media just brush it under the carpet.

I had heard tis theory years ago - Gardai maintained that there was a Serial Killer out there but maintained they had a better chance of catching him if they kept media from running with story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Most experts say that its a natural feature, not man made, and those few that say it could be man made only date it to about 2000 years ago (not 8000). Its debunked here, in this video about dishonest interview editing (skip to ~13 mins in):
    http://www.youtube.com/user/potholer54#p/a/u/0/TH_9QcMCkvg
    Notice how the original video was blocked in the uk & ireland by channel 4 (the channel who made the show which lied about what the experts said).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The skunk ape (florida's local name for bigfoot) and this great program!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

MCMLXXV wrote: »

An Irish American mobster, Frank 'The Irishman' Sheeran claimed/confessed to having killed him. Robert De Niro is meant to be making a film about it. There was a documentary on TG4 a few years ago with Henry Hill (the guy Goodfellas was based on) where they talked about the Westies (Irish gang in New York) role in it.

Not quite an unsolved mystery, more along the lines of "those auld lads knew a thing or two", a la Newgrange, but for the day that's in it: The Boheh Stone, an ancient carved stone near Croagh Patrick. Twice a year, on April 18th and August 24th (dividing the year into three equal parts apparently, I'm too lazy to do the maths, the dates were meant to be significant markers for the growing/harvesting seasons), if you stand at the stone at sunset, the sun appears to roll down the right hand slope of the mountain.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think someone has already mentioned it, but definitely the Beaumont children's disappearance in Australia.
    The poor parents, I don't know how anyone wold cope with not just losing all their children, but not even knowing whatever happened to them. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭l.m

The Philadelphia Experiment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

The Body On The Beach (Co Clare). Numerous conspiratory theories back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

I think he debunked it pretty badly considering there's no evidence of an avalanche.

"The trauma and the destroyed tent points to an avalanche."

"Their state of undress can be explained by paradoxical undressing"

They also didn't behave like paradoxical undressing victims since their clothes were left at the tent indicating they left in a hurry/panic and they also took clothes off the victims who had already died in an attaempth to stay warm.

Guess he took a quick glance at the story and solved it in his head.

I guess there may have been a bear outside, the victims panicked and fled the tent and were afraid to go back due to the bear's presence or it was nighttime and they got disorientated aswell. Maybe there was a blizzard at the same time. Evidence that they ripped the tent open from the inside is not very strong I'd say. Also radiation varies naturally from place to place, the important part is the type of radiation present especially isotopes. Radiation does not cause people to suddenly leave a tent with hardly any clothes on. The temps got down to -30C there, you wouldn't last long at that temperature.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Haven't seen The Valentich Disappearance in this thread yet. Creepy stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_disappearance

"It's approaching from due east towards me. It seems to be playing some sort of game... flying at a speed I can't estimate. It's not an aircraft. It's... it is flying past. It is a long shape. I cannot identify more than that. It's coming for me right now."

About a minute later this message followed:

"It seems to be stationary. I'm also orbiting and the thing is orbiting on top of me also. It has a green light and a sort of metallic light on the outside."

Valentich then radioed that his engine was running roughly. His very last words were: "It is not an aircraft."

Then there was some mysterious metallic scraping noises, no trace of him was ever found, nor any wreckage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Haven't seen The Valentich Disappearance in this thread yet. Creepy stuff. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_disappearance

"It's approaching from due east towards me. It seems to be playing some sort of game... flying at a speed I can't estimate. It's not an aircraft. It's... it is flying past. It is a long shape. I cannot identify more than that. It's coming for me right now."

About a minute later this message followed:

"It seems to be stationary. I'm also orbiting and the thing is orbiting on top of me also. It has a green light and a sort of metallic light on the outside."

Valentich then radioed that his engine was running roughly. His very last words were: "It is not an aircraft."

Then there was some mysterious metallic scraping noises, no trace of him was ever found, nor any wreckage.

Iv long been fascinated by that story, It actually terrifies me, Just think of the though of the fear and confusion the man was going through. Iv no doubt UFO's done it. Very creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mapck

My favourite unsolved (but looked into) mystery is who took my ****ing ice cubes that I left on my kitchen table. The only clue I have is that the culprit seems to be made of water and drips wherever he goes. :mad:

If anyone has any information relating to the case you can contact me at;
    stolenicecubes@rocketmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I like these two things (neither really mysteries though):

Ancient abandoned fortress in Siberia (the photos are amazing):

http://englishrussia.com/2007/08/07/an-ancient-fortress-on-the-island/

I'm not sure if anything on that site is ever real though.

And the Bimini Road (an underwater road once believed to lead to Atlantis - these photos aren't great, but other articles have brilliant ones). It's a natural rock formation, like the underwater pyramids:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimini_Road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭criticalcritic

Why people still folliow scientology despite being biggest load horse dung ever heard

Advertisement