Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The assumption the case is stallled due to IRA Is bolox

The case has stalled due to insufficient evidence and time. The female suspect I was referring to, who has left the jurisdiction, was not a member of the IRA herself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The documentary raining in glenageary is good.
    Would like to see someone done for that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

KungPao wrote: »
    Kurt Cobain’s “suicide”. In all likelihood, David Grohl had some goons do him in to further his own career. Nobody cares about the soppy drummer. He needed the spotlight on him. Or was it the wife? We need Dennis Farina on the case, but he’s dead too sadly.

Looks like we’ll never know for sure.

Tl;dr.

Dave Grohl killed Denis Farina.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kurt Cobain’s “suicide”. In all likelihood, David Grohl had some goons do him in to further his own career. Nobody cares about the soppy drummer. He needed the spotlight on him. Or was it the wife? We need Dennis Farina on the case, but he’s dead too sadly.

Dennis Farina knew too much about those unsolved mysteries. He was getting too close .

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

razorblunt wrote: »
    Tl;dr.

Dave Grohl killed Denis Farina.
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Dennis Farina knew too much about those unsolved mysteries. He was getting too close .

if you accept that Denis Farina was the original drummer for Nirvana then it all makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

We know for sure. He was suicidal. The police came and confiscated a load of guns from him a few weeks previous because he locked himself in a room and was threatening to kill himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

The case has stalled due to insufficient evidence and time. The female suspect I was referring to, who has left the jurisdiction, was not a member of the IRA herself.

So this is why they can't get a DNA sample I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why would the IRA be involved with Raonaid though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MattS1 wrote: »

They are not involved per se. The suspected female has relations in the IRA who are protecting her, allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

MattS1 wrote: »
    It is a beyond stupid theory that somebody probably came up with at the breakfast table after reading that the IRA had a safe house there, and that one of the members lived in a house not far from where she was murdered.

I often think about the guy that got a taxi from Dun Laoghaire to Blackrock with bloodstains on his trousers and lived a block away from where he got out. They didn't have enough evidence to charge him. Are they keeping an eye on him? Did he leave the Country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Suckit wrote: »
    It is a beyond stupid theory that somebody probably came up with at the breakfast table after reading that the IRA had a safe house there, and that one of the members lived in a house not far from where she was murdered.

Ah there’s a bit more than that. This relation was known to the victim, prone to violence and had had a falling out with the victim.

Investigators believe that the killing wasn’t random either, they believe it was “personally” motivated. The vandalism of the grave may speak to that.

Look, I don’t want this thread getting locked, as has happened with previous discussions on this subject so best to leave it there.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Ah there’s a bit more than that. This relation was known to the victim, prone to violence and had had a falling out with the victim.

Investigators believe that the killing wasn’t random either, they believe it was “personally” motivated. The vandalism of the grave may speak to that.

Look, I don’t want this thread getting locked, as has happened with previous discussions on this subject so best to leave it there.

What was the speculated motive?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I am interested in reading more about this, I never realised the grave had been vandalised. Definitely points to personal imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I am happy to stand corrected. I have a vague recollection of her grave getting vandalised, but I didn't realise there was more to the IRA theory. I thought that had been the work of some lazy investigating and spread. I have read a good bit over the years about the case, but never remembered seeing much about the IRA side except for the safe houses and the leader of one of the forks or groups living nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Watching raining in glenageary on YT
    It explains a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Nal wrote: »
    Chappaquiddick.

Ted Kennedy was not in that car.

Great podcast called "Cover-Up" by People Magazine on this. Crazy stuff really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Re: Raonid Murray was the guy in the photofit who was described as having a Liam Gallagher hairstyle ever identified?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

re: the DNA.

I believe there was some found - on hands of the victim, Raonaid - she worked in a boutique and had been helping female customers try on clothes all evening. They discounted it for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm watching a documentary on YouTube about a very sad case I've never heard of before. "Who Left Dusty Bowers In The Snow?"

In 1988, in Ontario, a mother left her sleeping baby in her car while she went in to the bank. She came back and the baby was gone. She reported the baby missing straight away, but came back to the police station the next day saying she'd had a dream where she saw the baby lying in the snow. She went out in a car with the police, and sure enough, let them to where the baby was lying dead in the snow.

She was charged with first degree murder, but found not guilty. The case is still unsolved.

My own opinion is she left the baby there while suffering from undiagnosed post-partum psychosis. Something that might not necessarily have been explored back then, as it was less well-known.

I guess it's one of those cases that probably won't ever be resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I'm watching a documentary on YouTube about a very sad case I've never heard of before. "Who Left Dusty Bowers In The Snow?"

In 1988, in Ontario, a mother left her sleeping baby in her car while she went in to the bank. She came back and the baby was gone. She reported the baby missing straight away, but came back to the police station the next day saying she'd had a dream where she saw the baby lying in the snow. She went out in a car with the police, and sure enough, let them to where the baby was lying dead in the snow.

She was charged with first degree murder, but found not guilty. The case is still unsolved.

My own opinion is she left the baby there while suffering from undiagnosed post-partum psychosis. Something that might not necessarily have been explored back then, as it was less well-known.

Not heard this myself either.

Inclined to go with your theory on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The disappearance of Priscilla Clarke 1988. She and a close friend Lynda Kavanagh disappeared in Powerscourt Estate in 1988 whilst out horseriding. Her friends body was found the next day in Bray, she had drowned, probably while crossing the swollen Dargle River. It's possible Priscilla's body was washed out to sea. But there are a number of unanswered questions:

A number of people saw Lynda out riding with another person, but failed to
    • identify Priscilla.
    • Why did Lynda not tell the gardner she was going out riding.
    • Why was her house left unlocked, especially as she was a potential kidnapping target.
    • Why attempt to cross a dangerously swollen river in a spot she knew well when there were safe alternatives close by.
    • Why was the search for Priscilla's body called off so soon after Lynda's body was recovered.
    • Why did RTE refuse to meet the family a week after she went missing.
    • Why were her family never told of the coroners inquiry.

Throw into the mix the fact that her husband used to have Garda protection and was a close confidant of one Charles J. Haughey and it starts to get interesting. He also left Ireland soon after with the kids and was married within 18 months.

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/jgbynf/the_tragic_story_of_the_disappearance_of/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This is the story from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/jgbynf/the_tragic_story_of_the_disappearance_of/

The tragic story of the disappearance of Priscilla Clarke
    Disappearance
    Priscilla Clarke was an Irish woman who disappeared in Powerscourt, County Wicklow in 1988. Despite being presumed drowned, questions remain regarding the investigation and search to this day.

Background

Priscilla Clarke was born in 1962, growing up in County Louth, Ireland. She was described as a devoted daughter to her parents and a loving sister to her siblings.

In 1983 she qualified as a nursery nurse at Temple Hill Hospital and worked there for several years before becoming employed as a live in nurse with Mark and Lynda Kavanagh who had three children.

Mark Kavanagh was a prominent developer and along with his wife had set up the 'Captain Americas Restaurant' on Grafton Street in Dublin. In late 1987 the family moved to Ballyorney house, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow.

The Disappearance

Priscilla had been a nanny with the family for 5 years by May of 1988, an avid horse rider, she and Lynda had often taken the families horses out together and many said they considered each other friends rather then employee and employer.

On Tuesday May 3rd 1988, the children were all away, two being with different neighbours in the area and Mark Kavanagh was in Dublin on business. Lynda called Mark around 4pm and told him that she and Priscilla were taking the horses out.

Shortly after 4pm, two people were sighted on horseback venturing onto the Charleville (now Powerscourt) Estate. Witnesses would later say one was definitely Lynda Kavanagh but were unsure who the other individual was.

Four hours later the Kavanaghs son Michael who was 8 at the time was dropped home only to find the house deserted around 8:15pm. He called Mark in Dublin and told him there was no one there.

By the time Mark Kavanagh had returned from Dublin the Kavanaghs youngest child Serena had also been dropped home.

The Investigation

Mark Kavanagh quickly contacted the Gardaí and they set about searching for the two missing women. The two horses the women had left on were found wandering on a nearby road soaking wet.

It had been raining heavily in the days before May 3rd and had rained intermittently that day. The Gardaí planned to mount a full scale search the following morning and Priscillas family were informed of her disappearance at 2:30am on the morning of May 4th.

It was quickly decided by police that the women had likely got into difficulties while attempting to cross the the River Dargle on the Powerscourt Estate. This was a regularly crossed and typically shallow part of the river but the prior days rainfall had caused it to become what some later described as a raging torrent.

It was surmised that the horses had made it across the river while the two women had been washed away and likely were now further down river from that point.

Two days after she had last been seen, Lynda Kavanaghs body was recovered from the River Dargle near Bray. Her body had become snagged on a branch and Gardaí noted it was sheer luck that she hadnt been washed out to sea.

The following Monday 9th of May the search was stood down without Priscilla being found.

Later Developments

The Clarke family went on to continue the search for Priscilla for six weeks after, using several diving clubs from different parts of the country. These searches proved fruitless.

In December of 1995 a woman's remains washed up on a beach in Kilmuckridge, Gorey, County Wexford. No coroners inquest was held and the woman was buried without any further investigation. The Clarke Family didnt learn of the woman's existence until 2007 and finally got a DNA test carried out in 2008, this proved negative for a match to Priscilla and the woman remains unidentified.

Perceived slights against the Clarke Family by Gardaí

The Clarke family have been vocal about the conduct of the search and their treatment by both investigators and the media since Priscillas disappearance.

The family felt that the Garda investigation had been abruptly wound down once Lynda Kavanaghs body was found. There was a perception by them that as the wealthy high profile missing person, Lynda had always been the sole objective of the search.

An inquest into the death of Lynda and the disappearance of Priscilla was held in Dublin a few months after the search was ended. The Clarke family were not informed it was taking place and weren't given the opportunity to be there having only learned of it when they read about it in the newspapers the following day. They feel the case was swiftly swept away by the Dublin Coroners Office.

The family also believed that the Irish media lost interest in the case quickly once Lynda was found, they visited the Irish Broadcaster RTE just 8 days after Lynda had been found to ask them to make a public appeal for Priscillas disappearance and no one would meet them.

Unanswered Questions in the Case

Priscillas family feel that while the case may very well be just a tragic accident with no other explanation, they feel that certain points remain unexplained and should have been more thoroughly investigated.

The fact that witnesses couldnt be sure it was Priscilla that was with Lynda that day has baffled some as both women regularly went horse riding and should have been easy to recognise together. The horses that were later found were the same ones the women always used which seems to confirm who was on them but the fact Priscilla couldnt be confirmed by those that saw them as having been the person accompanying Lynda remains an unusual point in the case.

Reinforcing the possibility that Priscilla wasnt the person accompanying Lynda that day was a Jacket recovered from the river some days after and handed over to the Clarke family by Gardaí that told them it was hers. The family say the jacket was too big for her and was a mans, it also contained a pack of cigarettes and Priscilla didnt smoke.

The Clarke family also feel that not enough effort was made by investigating Gardaí to establish who was present at the Ballyorney Estate that day.

The Gardener on the Estate had been confirmed as having left around 4pm and he later told the media that Lynda had made no mention of planning to go horse riding which seemed unusual to him.

The exact reasons for the younger two children being away with neighbours that day also was never satisfactorily explained as they had been at school before being collected by the neighbours presumably hours before the women would have left to go horse riding together, why Lynda or Priscilla hadnt collected them or brought them back to the family home that day remains unexplained.

When the neighbours dropped 8 year old Michael home later around 8:15pm they found the house unlocked and this was an unusual point that was also not investigated further. Lynda was said to be very conscious of her families safety and wouldn't have left the house open when leaving on what would have been at least an hour of a trip.

In the late 1980's Mark Kavanagh was an influential businessman and a personal friend of then Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister) Charles Haughey. He had been conscious of potential threats to his family as the IRA had been kidnapping wealthy people for ransom at the time. When the Family had previously lived in Ballybrack, Dublin, two Gardaí had been stationed at the Estates Gatehouse permanently as a safeguard against such an event.

Why these security measures weren't continued at Ballyorney isnt known. But the Gardaí did initially think kidnapping was the likely cause of the women's disappearance before the discovery of Lyndas body in the river. Some in the media had suggested at the time that it could have been a case of a kidnapping gone wrong.

The scenario advanced by the Irish Authorities that the two women had come to difficulty while trying to cross the badly swollen Dargle River and drowned in the attempt didnt fit well with what was known of Lynda and Priscilla. Lynda was a confident woman on horseback and it's hard to believe she would have tried to cross such a dangerous rushing river.

Priscilla was also regarded as a confident and skilled woman in the saddle having grown up on the family farm for years riding around the property. She was also a strong swimmer and a qualified lifeguard making it seem even more unlikely that she would have willingly put herself at risk or then failed to swim to safety.

Conclusion

The Garda Cold Case Unit still consider the disappearance of Priscilla Clarke an open case. Other then acknowledging in 2015 that Gardaí in Bray were continuing to investigate the case no other developments have been announced.

Mark Kavanagh remarried 18 months after Lyndas death and eventually left the country. He also wrote a book titled 'Out On Their Own' in which he described the events of the case, prior to and after as well as what he believed happened that day.

The Clarke family believe Priscilla likely drowned that day but remain unsatisfied that foul play was never effectively ruled out by investigators. They have campaigned for years for changes to improve Irelands Coroner laws, Missing person databases and Garda procedures.

What do you believe likely happened that day? Is the case as simple as it first appears?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

I've just watched this documentary. Very interesting. A lot of evidence pointing to her not having done it. Especially the fact that she and her two sons were seen just 10 minutes before in a doughnut shop.

The brother and sister-in-law seen pretty dodgy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    I've just watched this documentary. Very interesting. A lot of evidence pointing to her not having done it. Especially the fact that she and her two sons were seen just 10 minutes before in a doughnut shop.

The brother and sister-in-law seen pretty dodgy too.

There was that. But I just can't get past the fact she led them right to the body.

I wonder how reliable was the witness who saw them in the doughnut shop?

If she did do it, I'd well believe it's possible she didn't and still doesn't even realise she did it. (If it was a type of psychosis.) From people I know who've been affected by psychosis, it can be difficult to distinguish between dreams/hallucinations/reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

Another one is the suspicious death of Stuart Lubbock in Michael Barrymore's pool. Only a few weeks ago, 'significant new information' led to the arrest of a 50 year-old man on suspicion of the murder and sexual assault of Mr. Lubbock.

Another one is the suspicious death of Stuart Lubbock in Michael Barrymore's pool. Only a few weeks ago, 'significant new information' led to the arrest of a 50 year-old man on suspicion of the murder and sexual assault of Mr. Lubbock.

Cops must be done torturing Barrymore about it so.

KevRossi wrote: »
    The disappearance of Priscilla Clarke 1988. She and a close friend Lynda Kavanagh disappeared in Powerscourt Estate in 1988 whilst out horseriding. Her friends body was found the next day in Bray, she had drowned, probably while crossing the swollen Dargle River. It's possible Priscilla's body was washed out to sea. But there are a number of unanswered questions:

A number of people saw Lynda out riding with another person, but failed to
    • identify Priscilla.
    • Why did Lynda not tell the gardner she was going out riding.
    • Why was her house left unlocked, especially as she was a potential kidnapping target.
    • Why attempt to cross a dangerously swollen river in a spot she knew well when there were safe alternatives close by.
    • Why was the search for Priscilla's body called off so soon after Lynda's body was recovered.
    • Why did RTE refuse to meet the family a week after she went missing.
    • Why were her family never told of the coroners inquiry.

Throw into the mix the fact that her husband used to have Garda protection and was a close confidant of one Charles J. Haughey and it starts to get interesting. He also left Ireland soon after with the kids and was married within 18 months.

Sounds no more interesting than a shabby investigation tbh. The "questions" mostly seem to be grasping at straws, particularly the neighbours picking up the kids.

The Isdal woman. Possibly a case of suicide, from Bergen in Norway, or was she a soviet spy (ominous music plays)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman
    The Isdal Woman (Norwegian: Isdalskvinnen) is a placeholder name given to an unidentified woman who was found dead at Isdalen ("Ice Valley") in Bergen, Norway, on 29 November 1970. Although police at the time ruled a verdict of likely suicide, the nature of the case encouraged speculation and ongoing investigation in the years since. Half a century later, it remains one of the most profound Cold War mysteries in Norwegian history.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Dutch woman Leidy Kaspersma who disappeared in Kerry in 1978. Highly suspicious behaviour from the boyfriend. That area along the Cork/Kerry border is very remote. The Garda investigation at the time was completely half arsed.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/someone-knows-what-happened-to-our-leidy-final-appeal-from-family-of-missing-woman-34846996.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

The Isdal woman. Possibly a case of suicide, from Bergen in Norway, or was she a soviet spy (ominous music plays)?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isdal_Woman

There is a very good BBC podcast about that case.

Advertisement