Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

pavb2 wrote: »
    Also a dramatised documentary on RTE which backs up the above that the village effectively closed ranks

I took part in the documentary during the recreations. A very interesting case indeed. I think it's quite obvious that there was foul play to an extent. I think there was an accident (as show in the documentary) and then the death was covered up so as not to bring down the entire village. The consequences for the guards, school master and publican involved would have been pretty serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbbHEnEEZI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

There were few if any crop circles in the UK during the foot and mouth travel restrictions.

But yet an alarming rise in cattle mutilations :pac:

The whole crop circle thing is interesting...the intricacies of some of the designs and that they're completed in a relatively short time makes me wonder how anyone manages to create them, even a well organised team. That's a mystery in itself. There are still some unexplained observations taken in some crop circles, such as a type of damage to crops themselves that are consistent with microwave radiation...it's been said that perhps artists are using magnetrons to bend the crop stems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I've long been interested by the DB Cooper and The Zodiac Killer cases.

Some others:
    Joseph Force Crater (January 5, 1889 – after August 6, 1930) was a judge in New York City who disappeared on the night of August 6, 1930. He was last seen leaving a restaurant on 45th Street. He had stated earlier that he was planning to attend a Broadway show. His disappearance became one of the most famous in American history and pop culture, and earned him the title of "The Missingest Man in New York".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Force_Crater
    Ursula and Sabina Eriksson, born 1967, are a pair of Swedish twins who came to national attention in the United Kingdom in 2008 after an apparent episode of folie à deux which resulted in unique footage of insanity on the M6 motorway and the killing of Glenn Hollinshead. No drugs or alcohol were involved in any of the incidents.[1][2] Their actions have never been explained, other than by a rare, induced delusional disorder which caused the pair to be temporarily insane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson
    The Beale ciphers are a set of three ciphertexts, one of which allegedly states the location of a buried treasure of gold, silver and jewels estimated to be worth over USD$39 million as of 2010. The other two ciphertexts allegedly describe the content of the treasure, and list the names of the treasure's owners' next of kin, respectively. The story of the three ciphertexts originates from an 1885 pamphlet detailing treasure being buried by a man named Thomas Jefferson Beale in a secret location in Bedford County, Virginia, in 1820.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beale_ciphers
    The Wallace Case, was the unsolved murder of a Liverpool housewife Julia Wallace on 20 January 1931. Her husband, William Herbert Wallace, was convicted and sentenced to hang, but the verdict was overturned on appeal, the first such instance in British legal history. The chess-like quality of the puzzle has attracted a host of crime writers. Raymond Chandler said ‘The Wallace case is the nonpareil of all murder mysteries ... I call it the impossible murder because Wallace couldn’t have done it, and neither could anyone else. ... The Wallace case is unbeatable; it will always be unbeatable.’

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

People will just throw that infinite number of universes and were just one of them crap at you.

Amazing the number of people who take this as a scientific fact because they saw it on horizon.
    why are you talking about alternative universes :confused:

unless there is a way to detect other universes then it's kinda academic to speculate on them. and universes with slight differences in the forces would be very boring, and totally unsurvivable.

Amazing the number of people who believe in "new physics" or more likely "new age physics" where basic rules can be ignored. The fact that our solar system still exists would tend to indicate that things like zero point energy are unachievable. Cosmic rays can provide more energy than we can and if they haven't catalysed it then we probably can't.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

To me a mystery is the people who believe in free energy. Steron / orbo and all those magnet things.

Solar panels can be bought in bulk for €2 per watt.
    Wind power is fairly cheap too.

All you need is a cheap way to store energy and renewables will undercut any magic free energy devices. The cheapest batteries in use today are lead-acid. The technology is 140 years old. The only major change in since was that 40 years ago they figured out how to gel the acid to stop it spilling.

Forget about power generation, figure out a better way to store power !

The other mystery is how often people re-descover groundwave propogation of radio and propose it as a new way to transmit power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

firefly08 wrote: »
    The JFK assassination is my favorite mystery...if I could only know the answer to one of these mysteries, it would be this. However, forget the whole "magic bullet" nonsense. Oliver Stone basically invented that. There's nothing unusual about the wounds, their locations, and the state of the bullet that was found afterwards.

It's ironic that people put so much effort into looking for technical reasons why their must have been a conspiracy...a second shooter, the magic bullet etc. The fact is that there is no reason why Oswald couldn't have done the shooting alone. This has been demonstrated many times. Yet, he was murdered within 2 days, by a man who claimed (among other things) that he was ordered to do it by powerful people. There's your conspiracy...no need to go looking for puffs of smoke from the grassy knoll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_bullet_theory

It was the Warren Commission that presented the theory actually.

Also you may not have intended it but I felt the tone of your post was a little patronising tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭yeahme

already asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How does that fit with one of them saying on Israeli TV that "Our purpose was to document the event"?
    You may have noticed their accent doesn't really seem to be one of a native English speaker.
    "Why did you video it?"
    "Our purpose was to document the event."

To me that looks like a fairly open-and-shut case of their meaning being somewhat muddied by using language that most native speakers wouldn't but that still puts across "To document it."
    To me a mystery is the people who believe in free energy. Steron / orbo and all those magnet things.

Solar panels can be bought in bulk for €2 per watt.
    Wind power is fairly cheap too.

All you need is a cheap way to store energy and renewables will undercut any magic free energy devices. The cheapest batteries in use today are lead-acid. The technology is 140 years old. The only major change in since was that 40 years ago they figured out how to gel the acid to stop it spilling.

Forget about power generation, figure out a better way to store power !

The other mystery is how often people re-descover groundwave propogation of radio and propose it as a new way to transmit power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

amacachi wrote: »

I lol'd. Hard.

The D. B. Cooper mystery is an all-time favourite, the only piece of Americana that actually interests me. Man appears to have had balls of steel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

1968 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson

Ursula and Sabina Eriksson, born 1967, are a pair of Swedish twins who came to national attention in the United Kingdom in 2008 after an apparent episode of folie à deux which resulted in unique footage of insanity on the M6 motorway and the killing of Glenn Hollinshead. No drugs or alcohol were involved in any of the incidents.[1][2] Their actions have never been explained, other than by a rare, induced delusional disorder which caused the pair to be temporarily insane

That's a mad one alright. There was a documentary about it on BBC last year

later10 wrote: »
    What DNA tests? Shergar was kidnapped in the early 1980s, DNA databases became a feature of performance horse recording only much later. I think it's quite possible that if there were any records of Shergar's DNA left behind, that his descendants may be traced in the future.

Of course part of the problem is that the mares he may have covered may only have been very insubstantial animals or local broodmares, given the low profile that would have been necessary for his abductors to have kept. Therefore his progeny may have gone on to compete at little more than local hunter trials or riding club meets.

I'm not sure why it is that people suggest that Shergar was shot because he was a stallion, I think there's a certain level of exaggeration involved in how difficult it is perceived to be to handle stallions.

I know where Shergar is buried(not the exact location but the area). It's pretty common knowledge in Leitrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Two interesting programs on Amelia Erheart and The Turin Shroud.
    The Leonardo DaVinci faked the shroud angle has a couple of problems. For a start the carbon dating is very likely wrong and Number Uno the shroud in it's current form was around and publicly viewed in Europe at least a century before he was born. The latter being a bit of a sticking point.

The shroud as a primitive photograph has a couple of issues too. The depth information it contains is a very hard one to get from a photograph. Then the chemistry involved for the time(though possible). No evidence of silver nitrate or other such chemicals have been found on it. The figure on the shroud has odd proportions too. Plus researchers have tried to reproduce it by this method and it just doesn't look nor analyse the same.Whatever the image is it's not paint anyway. It lays on the very top surface of the fibres and doesn't penetrate like a pigment would. It's composed of starches/sugars from the fibres themselves. No trace of pigment has ever been found on it either.

The biggest mystery of it all is why make such an effort to create an image that complex in the first place? Why make it a negative that wouldn't be seen until many centuries later? Why bother adding historically accurate details(and unknown it seems at the time) like the placement of the nails in the bones of the wrist, yet artists have always shown crucifixions with the nails in the palms and ankles? Why bother making it so faint an image, one you can barely make out? In a time when your average peasant(and above) was happy to believe any old lump of wood was part of the true cross or any old rag with a painted face was the cloth of veronica? Other relics from the time are obvious, flashy and so fake to even the dimmest of modern eyes.

It's a fascinating subject and a real mystery. If it can be traced further back(and I believe it can be) then how it was fashioned is even more a mystery.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

A really enjoyable thread people.

Disappearance of Bees. There are some conclusions to why but it is still a mystery.

A lake that goes missing in Chile overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

why are you talking about alternative universes :confused:

unless there is a way to detect other universes then it's kinda academic to speculate on them. and universes with slight differences in the forces would be very boring, and totally unsurvivable.

You were talking about physical constants and forces and their ratios to each other.

Don't people use the multiverse to explain those i.e we just happen to be in a universe with those constants and forces because there is an infinite number of universes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

This thread is very good, should be in the legendary threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_bullet_theory

It was the Warren Commission that presented the theory actually.

Yes but there's nothing magic about the Warren Commission's theory. The only 'magic' involved is where Oliver Stone claimed that the bullet suddenly changed direction in mid air - in order to claim that, he had to pretend that Kennedy and Connolly were sitting at the same level - that this is not the case can be seen clearly in this photograph of the limousine

Oh, and he added a little more 'magic' in pretending that the bullet was in 'pristine' condition, which is also clearly untrue, as seen in the second picture in the above wikipedia article.
    Also you may not have intended it but I felt the tone of your post was a little patronising tbh.

Don't really know what to say to that. I didn't mean to come across that way...but I can't promise my future posts won't have the same 'tone', since I wasn't even aware of it. Maybe you could give me the benefit of the doubt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

With all the talk of parallel universes and the like going on, here's an amazing documentary on the subject:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Obelisk wrote: »
    You can clearly see someone in the grassy knowl and also the infamous zapruder film in here. JFK was a good guy

I watched it and it certainly does look like the driver turned around and shot President Kennedy however if you watch the below video it slows it down frame by frame which makes everything much clearer.

BTW what a great thread, Taman Shud is by far my favourite spent all evening researching it. Some really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Really great stories guys. Reminds me how amazing wikipedia is too :D

I remember finding this story interesting, about an Indian man who claims to have not eaten or drank anything for 70 years :confused:

I was talking to an ozzie friend of mine about the Beaumont kids story, which I found fasciniating, he told me about this gruesome story from the 90's, its not unsolved (i.e. they solved the sh!t out of it), but still fascinating nontheless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Great thread ive heard a good few before off this. There over 500 of similar kind of stories

http://www.schalkburger.za.net/general/interesting-wikipedia-articles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

A bit of an Irish mystery relates to perhaps the most important British spy in Ireland in the late 19th, early 20th century called "Thorpe" (may have been a code name or real surname).

In April 1922 Michael Collins began a secret investigation to discover who "Thorpe" was, believing him to be still active. He had one of his own agents in Dublin Castle, Thomas Markham, do some digging. On the 4th August 1922 an entry in Collins' diary simply read "Markham - Thorpe - Healy". 18 days later Collins was dead and within hours of his killing someone entered his office in Portobello Barracks and removed an unknown number of documents he had been working on. All documents collected by Collins relating to the investigation have disappeared.

Sean MacBride believed Collins had discovered that Tim Healy, the first Governor General of the Irish Free State and the man who had helped bring down Charles Steward Parnell, was "Thorpe". Collins' death and the loss of the documents put an end to the investigation however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

"Odd creatures" as the above poster put it:
    Joshua Abraham Norton (c. 1819 – January 8, 1880), the self-proclaimed Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I, was a celebrated citizen of San Francisco, California, who in 1859 proclaimed himself "Emperor of these United States" and subsequently "Protector of Mexico". Although he had no political power, and his influence extended only so far as he was humored by those around him, he was treated deferentially in San Francisco, and currency issued in his name was honored in the establishments he frequented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_A._Norton

Raymond "Ray" Robinson (October 29, 1910 – June 11, 1985) was a severely disfigured man whose years of nighttime walks made him into a figure of urban legend in western Pennsylvania. Robinson was so badly injured in a childhood electrical accident that he could not go out in public without fear of creating a panic, so he went for long walks after dark. Local residents (who would drive his road in hopes of meeting him) called him The Green Man or Charlie No-Face, and they passed on tales about him to their children and grandchildren. Teenagers raised on these tales are sometimes surprised to discover that the mythic boogeyman was a real person, well liked by his neighbors and his family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Robinson_%28Green_Man%29

Edward Jones (b. 1824), or the boy Jones, as he was called by the British newspapers of the early Victorian era, was a notorious intruder into Buckingham Palace between 1838 and 1841. In 1838, aged approximately 14, he entered Buckingham Palace, disguised as a sweep. He was caught by a porter in the Marble Hall and, after a chase, captured by the police in St James's Street, with Queen Victoria's underwear stuffed down his trousers ... He became an alcoholic and a burglar and later went to Australia, where he became the town crier of Perth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_boy_Jones
    Bummer and Lazarus were two stray dogs that roamed the streets of San Francisco, California, USA, in the early 1860s. Recognized for their unique bond and their prodigious rat-killing ability, they became a fixture of city newspapers, were exempted from local ordinances and immortalized in cartoons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bummer_and_Lazarus
    George P. Burdell is a fictitious student officially enrolled at Georgia Tech in 1927 as a practical joke. Since then, he has supposedly received several degrees, served in the military, gotten married, and served on Mad magazine's Board of Directors, among other accomplishments. Burdell at one point even led the online poll for Time's 2001 Person of the Year award

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_P._Burdell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Speaking of odd creatures when old naval ww2 veterans met George Bush a few years ago a lot of them wanted to talk about their encounters with sea "monsters". During wars unknown sea creatures are spotted the most because people are looking for submarines ect and often they see things that dont fit. Some of the naval vets reported seeing creatures that dwarfed the blue whale. Theres an interesting war time sighting of Ireland.
    According to the report, following a military engagement with the British steamer Iberian off the southwest coast of Ireland — an encounter which tragically resulted in the steamer’s destruction via German torpedo and the deaths of all but 61 crew members — the captain and officers of the U-28 Schmidt bore witness to a spectacle which none of them could have anticipated. The Captain of the submarine, Commander Freiherr Georg-Günther von Forstner, described the encounter thusly: “On July 30, 1915, our U-28 torpedoed the British steamer Iberian, which was carrying a rich cargo (trucks and jeeps primarily) across the North Atlantic. The steamer sank so swiftly that its bow stuck up almost vertically into the air. Moments later the hull of the Iberian disappeared.”
    “The wreckage remained beneath the water for approximately twenty-five seconds, at a depth that was clearly impossible to assess, when suddenly there was a violent explosion, which shot pieces of debris — among them a gigantic aquatic animal — out of the water to a height of approximately 80-feet.”

“At that moment I had with me in the conning tower six of my officers of the watch, including the chief engineer, the navigator, and the helmsman. Simultaneously we all drew one another’s attention to this wonder of the seas, which was writhing and struggling among the debris.”
    “We were unable to identify the creature, but all of us agreed that it resembled an aquatic crocodile, which was about 60-feet long, with four limbs resembling large webbed feet, a long, pointed tail and a head which also tapered to a point. Unfortunately we were not able to take a photograph, for the animal sank out of sight after ten or fifteen seconds.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I've started watching Ancient Aliens on the History Channel after recommendations from this thread. Their theories are ridiculous, but it's fascinating looking into ancient writings, Hieroglyphs and religious scripts, and hearing scientists view on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JP Murphy

What about foo fighters - I don't think they have been mentioneed

JP Murphy wrote: »
    What about foo fighters - I don't think they have been mentioneed
    How they make that magnificent rock music is beyond a Mystery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭The House Of Wolves

The Chupacabra is possibly the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it.

The murder of Junko Furuta was solved but is horrifying!

The Shroud Of Turin is very interesting. I saw a documentary on it a while back, fascinating.

The Bimini Road. An underwater road believed to be part of Atlantis.

Spontaneous Human Combustion.

• Advertisement

The History Channel also have a good show, Clash of the Gods. It doesn't exactly identify mysteries, but a look into Greek Mythology and their past beliefs.

Advertisement