Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Delancey wrote: »
    It should be remembered that regarding all the missing women in the so-called ' Leinster Triangle ' that in 3 of those cases prime suspects have been identified and I'd go so far as to say that if the dogs in the areas those women disappeared from could talk they would tell you who the killers were - just no evidence against them :mad:
    +1
    Anyone remember the film Picnic at Hanging Rock about the disappearance of a group of schoolgirls in Australia about a hundred years ago ? Whole thing was completely made up and never happened - this despite the films claim to be based on fact.
    True but even so a great (and creepy) bloody movie it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Wibbs wrote: »
    I suspect they heard or saw or thought they heard or saw something(suspected bear/wolves?) approaching the campsite and ran in group/herd terror away from it and the elements took their toll. Maybe earlier in the day they had spotted a bear in the distance and hyped up the fear?

How does this explain their crush injuries? And missing tongues! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭StevieNicksFan

The Beast:

Although to be fair, it was solved....fúckin hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

Not really a mystery but I would love to know what became of frank Morris and the two others who escaped from Alcatraz and were never found

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

beano345 wrote: »
    Not really a mystery but I would love to know what became of frank Morris and the two others who escaped from Alcatraz and were never found

I would like to know that too :)
    Mythbusters recreated that exact same situation and
    made it
    . Its reported that personal belongings such as photos were washed up ashore. But at the same time it has been stated, as in the movie, Morris was a man of superior IQ. Makes sense to dump personal items.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

for anyone who wants to see :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I would like to know that too :)
    Mythbusters recreated that exact same situation and made it. Its reported that personal belongings such as photos were washed up ashore. But at the same time it has been stated, as in the movie, Morris was a man of superior IQ. Makes sense to dump personal items.

Smart man alright probably living in a hut on a beach in Mexico by now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

karaokeman wrote: »
    Did the moon landing ever happen.

Read the title of the thread again. Up there. Says 'favourite unsolved mystery' not 'favourite retarded conspiracy theory'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

How does this explain their crush injuries? And missing tongues! :eek:
    Well two had injuries consistent with a fall and both were found at the bottom of a small ravine. The missing tongue? Well one had a missing tongue(and part of her face). She had died face up mouth open and it was a month IIRC before her body was found. I'd say the simplest explanation is a scavenger ate it. (fox/wolf)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I don't see how the tongue thing is in any way mysterious, any wild animal will go for the soft, fleshy thing because it's easy, instead of tearing open a stomach or breaking off a leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Well two had injuries consistent with a fall and both were found at the bottom of a small ravine. The missing tongue? Well one had a missing tongue(and part of her face). She had died face up mouth open and it was a month IIRC before her body was found. I'd say the simplest explanation is a scavenger ate it. (fox/wolf)
    amacachi wrote: »
    I don't see how the tongue thing is in any way mysterious, any wild animal will go for the soft, fleshy thing because it's easy, instead of tearing open a stomach or breaking off a leg.

The missing tongue thing seems to freak a lot of people out. It seemed obvious to me that a fox/wolf bit the tongue out after the death.

There are also reports that all the party had high levels of radiation. This wasn't true, two of the group had slightly elevated levels of radiation, but this was likely from the lab they worked at. None of the rest of the party had elevated radiation levels.

This was posted already but contains good information along with some theories (and no hysteria)
    http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Delancey wrote: »
    I tend not to subscribe to conspiracy theories but I have to say the JFK assassination bothers me - that second shot just had to have come from the front.........

I dont get the contraversy about this second shot to be honest. surely it could just have been the exit wound from the back

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The missing tongue thing seems to freak a lot of people out. It seemed obvious to me that a fox/wolf bit the tongue out after the death.

I didn't know her mouth was open.

I dunno though, crush injuries from a fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Wasn't her lower jaw missing as well or am I misremembering? I know it was more than just her tongue anyway but I don't know what the 'oral cavity' actually consists of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Anyone got any more mysteries? I love this thread... Just made a cup of coffee and could do with another decent one :)

Trying to think of some more...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

If a wild animal got her tongue why not the rest of her an animal would not have stopped there it would have gone for the fingers and toes

If a wild animal got her tongue why not the rest of her an animal would not have stopped there it would have gone for the fingers and toes
    Couple of possibilities. 1) maybe only her head was exposed when the scavenger came along. After all the large search party took a month to find her and she wasn't far from the original camp. 2) the animal was disturbed so just ran off with the first chunk it took.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    The Golden Circle.

Where did all the money go! How did Sean Fitzpatrick make it all disappear !!!

Or, what was Golden about them and what makes **** float to the top in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Yes.

The Russians would have denounced them.

The French still measure the distance to the moon by bouncing lasers off mirrors they left up there.

NASA spent the 2007 equilivent of 136 Billion dollars on the Apollo program.
    If it was in dollar bills laid end to end you would go around the equator 500 times.

A similar amount to what Fianna Failure blew on the fallout of the property bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Ive always loved this one.....

Some people have argued its ice on the shuttle and a meteorite while others have said ice doesnt reverse in movement unless the shuttle does which in this video it clearly does not,and that earth does not produce meteorites:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I think Taman Shud is my favourite though I see it's been posted already.

I'm sure this one has about 100 perfectly rational explanations, but why not - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solway_Firth_Spaceman

Also, anyone who likes this thread would probably enjoy reading Foucault's Pendulum, as a warning if nothing else ;)

abelard wrote: »
    I think Taman Shud is my favourite though I see it's been posted already.

I'm sure this one has about 100 perfectly rational explanations, but why not - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solway_Firth_Spaceman

Weird photo, the spaceman one. Not heard of that before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Seriously though the amount of young women that went missing in Ireland in the 90's and early 00's is mystifying, Deirdre Jacob, Fiona Pender, Jo Jo Dollard and lots more.

Must be awful for their familes.

My 1st payday in my 1st job (in Newbridge) was the day Deirdre Jacob went missing. Will never forget it. Also when I went to the registrary office when applying to get married earlier this year it was Deirdre's mother we dealt with. A smashing woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

rain on wrote: »
    Wasn't her lower jaw missing as well or am I misremembering? I know it was more than just her tongue anyway but I don't know what the 'oral cavity' actually consists of

I thought it was that her tongue was missing and her entire oral cavity was missing, (soft palate,tonsils,uvula, maybe some of her gums), but that there was no damage to her face.
    An animal is one theory of what did this, but I've read the argument that the 3 bodies found beside her were untouched by animals, and usually a scavenger would eat the eyes of a body.

There was no tracks of bears or any animals at their tent that might have frightened them away, but yet all of their footprints were easily visible and able to follow for 500 meters.
    There was also no evidence of an avalanche to my knowledge, especially as the search team could follow their tracks so easily.

Of the last 4 bodies found, 3 were seriously injured,1 of these 3 had her tongue and oral cavity missing, the 3 had fractured skulls and broken ribcages, but they had no external wounds that showed evidence of these injuries occurring. They were said to be have been caused by extreme pressure, and it would be a force like a car crash that would be needed to be strong enough to cause them, even though there was no external wounds.

The group made diary entries every day, they even had made their own newspaper the "Evening Otorten". An entry into their newspaper said in big letters, "From now on we know that snowmen exist", this may have been a humorous input referring to themselves, as they also wrote "They can be met in the Northern Urals, next to Otorten mount­ain", so either they were referring to themselves as a joke, or they were recording a strange sighting they had seen. Their newspaper was said to usually have a humorous tone so this was likely a joke.
    They made diary entries every single day, except the evening the incident happened on that night. There was no diary entries for that day/evening.

I don't know what happened to them tbh. I was willing to believe that they mistakenly thought they heard an avalanche, and fled from their tent in panic, and unfortunately died as a result. But there are still some problems with that story that don't make much sense to me.

Right so if I go with the theory that they all ran thinking there was an avalanche, they all run down to the trees. For whatever reason after a time period the group separates, the 5 who remained near camp die of hypothermia, the 4 who are found further away, 3 of them have fatal injuries and are found under snow. My initial thought was, well ok, they mistakenly thought they heard an avalanche at camp, they were wrong as there was no avalanche there, and the remaining people found near there just died from the cold.

Due to incredible bad luck, the other four after running from an imaginary avalanche, actually encountered a real avalanche, and this is why they were found covered in snow, and had injuries with no external wounds. I thought yeah, the weight of the snow on them caused all this pressure and cracked their ribs and skulls. I thought maybe the girl was the only one of the four who had her mouth exposed, and that an animal came, and the rest of her face and body was covered in snow, and the other 3 were completely covered in snow.

What doesn't make sense here for me though is, why was it only 3 of those 4 who had injuries? If they all had this incredible force of snow on them, then why was it only 3 of them who injuries with no external evidence?
    Also one of the men found nearer the camp, who was not hit by an avalanche, also had a fractured skull with no external injuries.This was not the cause of his death, but they do not know how he got it.

Maybe it wasn't an avalanche but the 4 people fell into the ravine, and were then just covered by snow over the weeks. But then why did they not all have injuries? If a fall caused their injuries why was there no external wounds? Also the ravine was meant to have been quite shallow, could a slip into it really cause injuries equivalent to the force of a car crash in just 3 of them, and have no external signs of it happening? If they slipped and couldn't get out and froze to death, could the piles of snow that eventually covered them caused the breaks and fractures? But again, why only in 3 of them, and why only breaks in the skull and ribs, when the weight of the snow was on their whole bodies?

The thing with them all being in various states of undress, and cutting their way out of the tent and running, could be explained by them panicking thinking there was an avalanche, but why when they would have quickly realised there mistake, why did they not head back for their tent to get some clothes? They were in -25, or -30 degrees.

Wiki mentions that 25% of hypothermia victims could experience paradoxical dressing, where their bodies are fooled into thinking that they are burning up with heat, and they start removing clothing to "cool down".
    However they lit a fire to keep warm, and the 2 found dead at the fire had their hands charred from trying to be so close to the fire to keep warm.
    The ones found with partial clothing removed, showed that the clothing had been forcibly removed and cut off, so it doesn't appear that they removed the items themselves.
    A likely explanation given, is that the surviving members removed the clothes of those who died first in an effort to keep themselves warm and survive.

The 4 who were found last 75 meters from the pine trees were wearing some of the others things.
    According to writer Igor Sobolyov, who has investigated the deaths, it was also apparent that some of them had taken clothes from the bodies of those who had died first in an attempt to keep warm; some of the garments had cuts in them as if they had been forcibly removed. Zolotaryov was wearing Dubinina’s faux fur coat and hat, while Dubinina’s foot was wrapped in a piece of Krivonishenko’s woollen trousers. Thibeaux-Brignolle had two watches on his wrist – one showed 8.14am, the other 8.39am.

Krivonishenko was found dead at the fire with charred hands, he was also the one with fractured skull. Dubinina was found with his woolen trousers wrapped around her feet, presumably taken after he had died from the cold. However Dubinina was found with broken ribs, one of which penetrated her heart. This would have given her a short time to live, and from what I've read would have made her die quicker than Krivonishenko, so how could she have taken the clothes from his dead body? This again points to the unlikelihood that an avalanche happened at camp, she must have sustained her injuries further away somewhere near where they found her and the other 3 75 meters away from the fire.

They also lit their fire with wet wood even though there was dry wood there.
    Branches from the pine trees near the fire were found broken up to 16 feet high, suggesting that one or more of the team had climbed up, using the tree as a lookout to look back at their tent.

I think it might have been from one of the links earlier in the thread, or else one I came upon after reading one of those links, but anyhow there was a comment given by someone that went along the lines of this:

They had a base camp that was in the woods, or had some supplies stored there further away (I've seen this written a few times), but for whatever reason they decided to camp out in the middle of the snow on a slope.
    Something scared them that evening, that they felt safer out in the open able to see all about, instead of in the shelter of the trees.
    They didn't write in their diaries that evening. As some of the group were well clothed fur coat and hats etc., this person speculated that some people were keeping watch, whilst some slept. Something happened and they woke the others who had little clothing on. They all fled in terror towards the trees.
    They reached the trees and started a fire. They climbed the trees to look back at their tent. They were too scared to return to the tent. 2 of the men die at this site from the cold. 4 who already have some clothing decide to take some clothing of the two men who died, and risk going to where they had some supplies at their base in the woods. They are willing to risk this instead of going back to their own tent. They are found dead 75 meters from the fire. The 3 surviving people at the trees and fire, wait for the other 4 to return with supplies, but when they do not return, they decide to risk going back to their own tent. They are each found dead from the cold at various intervals trying to return to the tent. What terrified them so much that they were too afraid to quickly return to their tents, and that they were willing to travel further in the cold to get some supplies instead of just going back to their own tent? Why did the other 3 wait so long to try and return to the tent, what made them so afraid that they only did it as a last ditch attempt at survival?

[I don't think that person's speculation makes complete sense. I don't see why they all wouldn't have gone to get the supplies instead of just 4 of them, and I am not even 100% sure that they had supplies kept in the woods, although I read it a few times. It is an interesting attempt though to explain why these 4 went in a different direction to the people going back to camp.]

Their friend who left the trip earlier due to sickness is convinced the military had something to with it.
    Yuri Yudin’s theory is that the military might have found the tent before the volunteer rescuers. He said he had been asked to identify the owner of every object found at the scene and had failed to find a match for a piece of cloth that looked like it had come from a soldier’s coat, a pair of glasses, a pair of skis and a piece of a ski. Yudin had also seen documents that led him to believe that the criminal investigation had been opened on 6 February – 14 days before the search team found the tent.

There were no other footprints found to back up his theory though.

There was also "a cemetery" of military scrap metal found in the area.

Yuri says his friends organs were taken for examination after the discovery of their bodies, but that the results of these were never released.
    There is also a missing envelope that was never released.

I have read somewhere aswell though that the case wasn't as classified as some people make out. That the information was available, but you had to formally request it.

I think there are probably simple explanations for the trace levels of radiation, the orange skin colour, maybe even the missing tongue aswell. I don't think it was the mansai people. Aliens doesn't seem likely to me either.
    I don't really know what kind of weapon could have caused this and leave no evidence in the surrounding area, but maybe there is some kind of secret testing, dunno.

All I know is that something terrified the fcuk out of those people, and made them flee. Whatever it was made them prefer risking almost certain death in the freezing cold, than to return to their tent as soon as possible.
    I don't think it was an avalanche, or an animal because there are no traces of these having occurred. I could understand them running because they thought they heard an avalanche, but it makes no sense to me why they wouldn't have returned to get clothes once they realized that there had been no avalanche.Why did others go in a different direction towards the woods? Apparently, they had left their torch on top of the tent, and it was found in it's turned on position. Some people say that it was left there as a marker for themselves to return, and that they could see it from their lookout in the trees. I don't think people in a blind panic would have the clarity of mind to leave a marker, especially considering they cut themselves out of the tent and ran without adequate clothing to survive.

It's a very weird story, and imo is definitely still an unsolved mystery.
    I've only wrote all of the above based on things I've read on various websites about the incident. I have no idea how accurate the information is, so apologies if some of the facts are incorrect.

Couple of possibilities. 1) maybe only her head was exposed when the scavenger came along. After all the large search party took a month to find her and she wasn't far from the original camp. 2) the animal was disturbed so just ran off with the first chunk it took.

I still wouldn't be convinced that the injuries they received could be caused by a fall into a shallow ravine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I haven't read through the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned but as unsolved mysteries go this is the one that fascinates me the most: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident

It's seriously messed up :eek:

One theory was since they were close enough to a Russian military base, a jet low overhead, resulting in someone waking up screaming AVALANCHE!! In the scramble someone cut the tent from inside with a knife and they all ran in their underwear towards the ravine/forest for protection.

Any injuries they had was due to them falling in the snow. Because of the the cold weather they all froze to death. Scavengers would've ripped out soft tissue like a tounge..

On the other side of the mountain there was another group of hikers, who claimed they saw weird orange lights...The whole thing is freaky...I can't believe people still use that mountain for hiking. I wouldn't step a foot near the place.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    One theory was since they were close enough to a Russian military base, a jet low overhead, resulting in someone waking up screaming AVALANCHE!! In the scramble someone cut the tent from inside with a knife and they all ran in their underwear towards the ravine/forest for protection.

Any injuries they had was due to them falling in the snow. Because of the the cold weather they all froze to death. Scavengers would've ripped out soft tissue like a tounge..

They wouldn't have slept in their underwear in those temperatures and you'd think they would know what a jet sounds like, wouldn't you??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They wouldn't have slept in their underwear in those temperatures and you'd think they would know what a jet sounds like, wouldn't you??

Who knows?

Also it was in the middle of the night when it happened, imagine waking up groggy and hearing a rumble when you're on the side of the mountain full of snow.

Any injuries they had was due to them falling in the snow.

Crush injuries?

• Advertisement

Who knows?

Also it was in the middle of the night when it happened, imagine waking up groggy and hearing a rumble when you're on the side of the mountain full of snow.

See, if they woke and ran for it, the moment they realised it was a jet, they'd have gone back to the camp. The underwear is weird because it would be so cold that you would have to sleep fully rugged up.

It is a strange one alright. Had never heard of it before this thread and there is vast amounts of info on it online.

Advertisement