Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭camz09

The Chaplin Time Traveler comes to mind. I'm not sure if it's explained yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

camz09 wrote: »
    The Chaplin Time Traveler comes to mind. I'm not sure if it's explained yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6a4T2tJaSU

Apparently it was probably a hearing aid:

http://www.geekosystem.com/hearing-aid-charlie-chaplin-time-traveler/

It reminds me of the time-travelling hipster!

I've heard this one debunked too, but it just looks so funny. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

This intro video used to scare the shít out of me as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

That Chaplin time travel thing has pretty much been solved, it was apparently some kind of old school hearing aid.

My favourite time travel story I've read is this one. Its a long story, but the gist of it is a guy accidentally travelled to a parallel universe back in the 80's where the Beatles had never broken up, and he managed to swipe one of their albums on from someones house who found him unconscious.

Whats nice is the story is all tied up (lack of memory, loss of consciousness, inability to go back etc.), and he's even put up said album on the site to listen to. Its pretty great too, really sounds authentic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Delancey wrote: »
    It should be remembered that regarding all the missing women in the so-called ' Leinster Triangle ' that in 3 of those cases prime suspects have been identified and I'd go so far as to say that if the dogs in the areas those women disappeared from could talk they would tell you who the killers were - just no evidence against them :mad:

I tend not to subscribe to conspiracy theories but I have to say the JFK assassination bothers me - that second shot just had to have come from the front.........

Anyone remember the film Picnic at Hanging Rock about the disappearance of a group of schoolgirls in Australia about a hundred years ago ? Whole thing was completely made up and never happened - this despite the films claim to be based on fact.

No it didn't...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dlofnep wrote: »

taught i was only one:o:pac:

used love that program 8pm on saturday night on sky one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

dlofnep wrote: »

If you liked Unsolved Mysteries, you might like:

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/32188306

That Chaplin time travel thing has pretty much been solved, it was apparently some kind of old school hearing aid.

My favourite time travel story I've read is this one. Its a long story, but the gist of it is a guy accidentally travelled to a parallel universe back in the 80's where the Beatles had never broken up, and he managed to swipe one of their albums on from someones house who found him unconscious.

Whats nice is the story is all tied up (lack of memory, loss of consciousness, inability to go back etc.), and he's even put up said album on the site to listen to. Its pretty great too, really sounds authentic!

Album is amazing :confused: cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

long post

Can anyone actually read? I've posted this lots of times and people keep reiterating the same things ad nauseum.

http://www.aquiziam.com/dyatlov_pass_1.html

The lack of footprints thing is mentioned in the website, it's called the 'snow anomaly'

I've already explained the trace radiation bit, read a page or so back.

The theory isn't that there was an avalanche, the theory was that they thought that there was an avalanche. I've lived near an airport and the sound of a jet engine could definitely sound like an avalanche. Since they were in a bleak wilderness there would have been dead silence, a roar of some jet engines would probably sound like the end of the world.
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    On the other side of the mountain there was another group of hikers, who claimed they saw weird orange lights...The whole thing is freaky...I can't believe people still use that mountain for hiking. I wouldn't step a foot near the place.

Orange lights from jet fighters.....I don't see how that's freaky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The theory isn't that there was an avalanche, the theory was that they thought that there was an avalanche. I've lived near an airport and the sound of a jet engine could definitely sound like an avalanche. Since they were in a bleak wilderness there would have been dead silence, a roar of some jet engines would probably sound like the end of the world.

Out of interest how far would a person be able to run between the first sound of a jet and it passing overhead and fading into the distance, especially whilst barefoot, in difficult terrain, at night and starting from inside a tent and so needing to cut their way out?

Weren't the furthest victims about 2km from camp? I would have thought, given those conditions, they wouldn't make much more than 100 - 200 meters per minute at absolute max? I would have thought any jet would have completely disappeared after a minute or two at most so I don't understand why they would be found so far from camp as presumably in this scenario they would spend most of their running away with no jet / avalanche noise at all.

They must have been moving away from camp for at least 15 minutes (I would imagine much longer if running barefoot in snow), A jet plane going at a pretty slow speed of 600km/h would have travelled 150 kms in that time. The noise of the jet going at that speed could only have lasted seconds surely? They'd have hardly had time to cut their way out of the tent before it started to fade, never mind run 2km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Out of interest how far would a person be able to run between the first sound of a jet and it passing overhead and fading into the distance, especially whilst barefoot, in difficult terrain, at night and starting from inside a tent and so needing to cut their way out?

Weren't the furthest victims about 2km from camp? I would have thought, given those conditions, they wouldn't make much more than 100 - 200 meters per minute at absolute max? I would have thought any jet would have completely disappeared after a minute or two at most so I don't understand why they would be found so far from camp as presumably in this scenario they would spend most of their running away with no jet / avalanche noise at all.

They must have been moving away from camp for at least 15 minutes (I would imagine much longer if running barefoot in snow), A jet plane going at a pretty slow speed of 600km/h would have travelled 150 kms in that time. The noise of the jet going at that speed could only have lasted seconds surely? They'd have hardly had time to cut their way out of the tent before it started to fade, never mind run 2km.
    This. I mentioned same earlier in the thread and that's what takes a lot of the wind out of the jet plane as avalanche sounds theory for me. That and they picked the area to camp away from any avalanche path.

Though there may be another way the jet noise would cause panic. Not because they thought "avalanche", but because they simply didn't know what the loud noises were, especially if the jets made a few passes in the dead of night. We forget that we're well used to jets today, but back then in the late 1950's they were a lot rarer a sound especially in the middle of nowhere. Plus military jets are significantly louder than civil aircraft jet noise. I've had an RAF Tornado go over my head at full chat and you know you've been tangoed.

Though on that point another problem with the jet noise theory comes up. It's nighttime, it's 1959, long before terrain following radar was on aircraft. Though the Russians have turned out some fine and ballsy pilots in their history, I can't see any Russian pilot doing low level flying in pitch dark over mountainous terrain. One false move and he's walking home. So the aircraft would have been much higher up and subsequently a lot quieter. Unless the area naturally concentrated the sound in some way. So yea jets are an option, but there are some serious holes in that too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'll admit the avalanche theory has more holes than a slice of emmental. The fact of the matter is that there is very little evidence to go on. The campsite wasn't found until nearly a month after the incident. It took a further 3 months to find the four bodies in the ravine, this lessened the effectiveness of any 'CSI' style forensics (limited as they were at the time), especially as frostbite damage to bodies could disguise or mimic other injuries.

Then there are the anomalies in the report, like the
    “snowfall anomaly” ...... the fact that some of the bodies found – those returning to the camp – were buried under snow. How is it that enough snow fell to burry these bodies but tracks that were found higher up the hill were preserved in such a good condition that investigators could (allegedly) tell that at least one person had been barefoot?

Given the relative scarcity of facts, I don't think the mystery can ever be solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

i thought the being found on the mountain side in their underwear was explained by extreme hypothermia, doesnt your body just go haywire and you start to think your really warm... i read that somewhere i think.

(could have been on a website related to said mystery to explain the no clothes bit.):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

i thought the being found on the mountain side in their underwear was explained by extreme hypothermia, doesnt your body just go haywire and you start to think your really warm... i read that somewhere i think.

(could have been on a website related to said mystery to explain the no clothes bit.):rolleyes:

Really? Possibly the 15th time this has been mentioned in this thread :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

What a quality read,my fave mystery so far.

I'm listening to the album at the moment. It sounds like a really good remix job made up of solo stuff and snippets of Beatles music (though he explains that by saying they still had the same musical ideas, they just used them within the band and not as solo artists.

I call shenanigans on it for that and the fact that I find it very hard to believe that someone travelled through a portal into another universe and returned with a Beatles tape!

It's a nice story though, and the music's not too bad, so I still say kudos to the guy behind the website, even if I do think he's trolling.:D

I'm listening to the album at the moment. It sounds like a really good remix job made up of solo stuff and snippets of Beatles music (though he explains that by saying they still had the same musical ideas, they just used them within the band and not as solo artists.

I call shenanigans on it for that and the fact that I find it very hard to believe that someone travelled through a portal into another universe and returned with a Beatles tape!

It's a nice story though, and the music's not too bad, so I still say kudos to the guy behind the website, even if I do think he's trolling.:D

I also felt he had some cliche time travel/sci-fi ideas there like the portal was similar to stargate,and the flames when he gets back are very similar to back to the future,but still a great read:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What a quality read,my fave mystery so far.

Aye, sitting listening to the tape now...don't know what to think.
    Wonder has this had any voice print analysis done on it...a lot of sampled stuff in there but some lyrics I've never heard before, but I'd be a passing Beatles fan, not a die hard.
    Good story and a well done hoax if nothing else...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

He popped out the first tape and was putting in the second one when I told him he should record me a copy of one so I could take it back with me, thinking it wouldn't be a big deal. Well the look Jonas gave me when I said this is part of the reason I am remaining anonymous. Not only did it sort of scare me but it had a very serious almost creepy look to it followed by the phrase (not word for word, i can't remember what he exactly said) "No, you are not to take anything with you back to your world. No pictures, no souvenirs, no tapes, NOTHING." I asked him why and he wouldn't really say except that for my safety I wasn't to take anything back.

So the fool only broadcasts what he did on the Internet! Silly story. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

That's spooky (and grim). Poor woman. :(

Great thread. I love this stuff, they are like giant logic puzzles, even though I accept that some leaps of faith are required to accept some of these stories as mysteries in the first place! It's like "Kid's Adventures In Logic" or something. But I keep coming back to play. :D

The fact that people make up stuff like The Loch Ness monster is often more mysterious than the mystery invented...

Anyway, on the man in the room... What am I missing here? Is it not plausible that he was shot outside (say in the corridor or even on the street), that he clutched his wounds (so no trail of blood, if this all happened quickly, i.e. before the blood began to seep through his clothes), that he then scrambled inside his apartment and locked the door behind him before falling down and dying? I must be missing something...

• Advertisement

texidub wrote: »
    That's spooky (and grim). Poor woman. :(

Great thread. I love this stuff, they are like giant logic puzzles, even though I accept that some leaps of faith are required to accept some of these stories as mysteries in the first place! It's like "Kid's Adventures In Logic" or something. But I keep coming back to play. :D

The fact that people make up stuff like The Loch Ness monster is often more mysterious than the mystery invented...

Anyway, on the man in the room... What am I missing here? Is it not plausible that he was shot outside (say in the corridor or even on the street), that he clutched his wounds (so no trail of blood, if this all happened quickly, i.e. before the blood began to seep through his clothes), that he then scrambled inside his apartment and locked the door behind him before falling down and dying? I must be missing something...

That's pretty much what most experts believe, except they'd say that he stayed in the room, answered the door when the killer knocked and the killer stayed in the hallway and shot him through the open doorway. Though he could also have been in the corridor when he was shot.
    The biggest stretch of the imagination is him locking the door after him, though maybe he had enough strength and wherewithal to be worried about the killer coming back.

They can't prove that happened, but it's the most likely solution.

There's still the mystery of why an apparently mild-mannered laundry owner with no dodgy connections was murdered with no money stolen from the till, though who knows what he got up to in his private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

he stayed in the room [...]

That makes even more sense, yes.
    There's still the mystery of why an apparently mild-mannered laundry owner with no dodgy connections was murdered with no money stolen from the till, though who knows what he got up to in his private life.

Strange alright.

For the purposes of the plot, I'm going to with mistaken identity :D What an absurd way to go... and to create a puzzle for the ages in the process only adds to the absurdity... some people have all the luck.

So the fool only broadcasts what he did on the Internet! Silly story. :rolleyes:

They wouldnt be able to figure out our internetz:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

They wouldnt be able to figure out our internetz:pac:

With a pan dimensional gateway at your disposal, who the hell would invent the damn internet in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

Obelisk wrote: »
    You can clearly see someone in the grassy knowl and also the infamous zapruder film in here. JFK was a good guy

Check out a book by James Douglas, 'JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why it Matters.' Alot of great evidence in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

firefly08 wrote: »
    Yes but there's nothing magic about the Warren Commission's theory. The only 'magic' involved is where Oliver Stone claimed that the bullet suddenly changed direction in mid air - in order to claim that, he had to pretend that Kennedy and Connolly were sitting at the same level - that this is not the case can be seen clearly in this photograph of the limousine

Oh, and he added a little more 'magic' in pretending that the bullet was in 'pristine' condition, which is also clearly untrue, as seen in the second picture in the above wikipedia article.

The magic bullet is a red herring in the Kennedy assassination. It neither proves/ dis-proves conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

If their wasnt enough evidence that I love a good animal mystery heres another good one. In 1920 a group of twenty men comprised of geologists and explorers went into the amazon in search of petroleum. Eventually due to attacks by the natives and disease only four group members remained.

The strange part of this story occured when the remaining members were attacked by unknown apes. They shot the male ape and managed to take a picture. The picture has divided the zoological community ever since, some say its a new species of ape while some maintain it was a hoax and its simply a spider monkey with its tail hidden. Im not sure what it is but Im not convinced its a spider monkey, there are some anatomical differences that are hard to ignore. I also find it hard to believe that a group of explorers whose friends are getting killed all around them would stage a hoax. Anyway check it out for yourself and see what you think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement