Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

i thought the being found on the mountain side in their underwear was explained by extreme hypothermia, doesnt your body just go haywire and you start to think your really warm... i read that somewhere i think.

(could have been on a website related to said mystery to explain the no clothes bit.):rolleyes:

Youre correct. It's called paradoxical undressing and it's a symptom of severe hypothermia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It would be nice to find a list of mysteries that were eventually solved. Links anyone?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

dlofnep wrote: »

This intro video used to scare the shít out of me as a kid.

"Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If their wasnt enough evidence that I love a good animal mystery heres another good one. In 1920 a group of twenty men comprised of geologists and explorers went into the amazon in search of petroleum. Eventually due to attacks by the natives and disease only four group members remained.

The strange part of this story occured when the remaining members were attacked by unknown apes. They shot the male ape and managed to take a picture. The picture has divided the zoological community ever since, some say its a new species of ape while some maintain it was a hoax and its simply a spider monkey with its tail hidden. Im not sure what it is but Im not convinced its a spider monkey, there are some anatomical differences that are hard to ignore. I also find it hard to believe that a group of explorers whose friends are getting killed all around them would stage a hoax. Anyway check it out for yourself and see what you think.

that is one odd looking specimen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

its got a great first line though...

"Which it attacked his party by the means of defecating into their hands"

I was hooked after that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

It would be nice to find a list of mysteries that were eventually solved. Links anyone?

The fact is that many mysteries have been solved but I guess it becomes a matter of opinion if this is really the case.
    A couple of examples - the most famous photo of the Lock Ness Monster ( the so-called ' Surgeons Photo ' ) is now known to be a hoax with the hoaxer admitting this shortly before their death. People still want to believe though.

The great Bermuda Traingle mystery of Flight 19 is easily explained by a mixture of poor navigation and airmanship , inexperienced flyers , poor weather , etc.
    Allegations the air crews made frantic radio calls saying things like '' Don't come after us , they look like they are from outer space '' are flatly contradicted by surviving air traffic controllers on duty in the tower that day.

In the X Files agents Mulder has a poster of a UFO and underneath the legend '' I want to believe '' - pretty much sums it all up , no matter how clearly something is explained there are always people who don't want to accept the mundane reasons behind a ' mystery '.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

The montauk monster washed up on a beach in New york. They have since said its a dead racoon. Its one ugly yoke. Videos on youtube too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Monster

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ha I love the details given for him:
    Known for: being a zombie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Delancey wrote: »
    The fact is that many mysteries have been solved but I guess it becomes a matter of opinion if this is really the case.
    A couple of examples - the most famous photo of the Lock Ness Monster ( the so-called ' Surgeons Photo ' ) is now known to be a hoax with the hoaxer admitting this shortly before their death. People still want to believe though.

The great Bermuda Traingle mystery of Flight 19 is easily explained by a mixture of poor navigation and airmanship , inexperienced flyers , poor weather , etc.
    Allegations the air crews made frantic radio calls saying things like '' Don't come after us , they look like they are from outer space '' are flatly contradicted by surviving air traffic controllers on duty in the tower that day.

In the X Files agents Mulder has a poster of a UFO and underneath the legend '' I want to believe '' - pretty much sums it all up , no matter how clearly something is explained there are always people who don't want to accept the mundane reasons behind a ' mystery '.

Yeah, I watched a documentary on the Bermuda triangle that hypothesized that they mixed up two different peninsulas, and as a result thought that their compass was acting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

T

The great Bermuda Traingle mystery of Flight 19 is easily explained by a mixture of poor navigation and airmanship , inexperienced flyers , ect

Your reasoning is way too simplistic if that was the case there would be no mystery and they were not all inexperienced

Flight 19 undertook a routine navigation and combat training exercise in VTB-type aircraft.[1] The assignment was called "Navigation problem No. 1", a combination of bombing and navigation, which other flights had completed or were scheduled to undertake that day.[2] The flight leader was United States Navy Lieutenant Charles Carroll Taylor who had about 2,500 flying hours, mostly in aircraft of this type, while his trainee pilots had 300 total, and 60 flight hours in the Avenger.[2] Taylor had recently arrived from NAS Miami where he had also been a VTB instructor. The student pilots had recently completed other training missions in the area where the flight was to take place.[2] They were US Marine Captains

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Wasnt expecting this kind of response. Hours of great reading ;) Cheers all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

John Doe1 wrote: »
    that is one odd looking specimen

That monkey thing looks odd too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Gi joe! wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the whole mystery surrounding the West Memphis Three and their supposed innocence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Memphis_Three

Watched a bit of the documentary based on their trial and conviction, Paradise Falls which was fascinating. The step father of one of the boys was a suspect I believe and he is the definition of a hick, something just seemed 'off' with him.

They were released quite recently (last month) :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/20/us/20arkansas.html?_r=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

What are people's thoughts on Jill Dando? I never believed that Barry George did it, something never seemed right about that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

falan wrote: »
    The montauk monster washed up on a beach in New york. They have since said its a dead racoon. Its one ugly yoke. Videos on youtube too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk_Monster

Saw a documentary on this a few months back. They were saying it was a sloth. You are right though - really offensive looking!!!

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on Jill Dando? I never believed that Barry George did it, something never seemed right about that case.

Agreed - I was amazed he was convicted and even more shocked when his first appeal was rejected.
    As far as I'm concerned The Met decided to pin it on the ' village idiot ' , George was quite incapable of that crime.
    My gut feeling is she was killed over a personal matter ( her private life had in the past been ' interesting ' ) but I don't think we will ever get to the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Saw a documentary on this a few months back. They were saying it was a sloth. You are right though - really offensive looking!!!

Ya I seen that aswell, I think its a racoon or something

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone watch the series "Ancient Aliens", great show!!

http://www.history.com/shows/ancient-aliens

You'll probably find some of the episodes on fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Excellent thread, dont think this one has come up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E2%80%93Hopkinsville_encounter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Kennedys assassination has intrigued me ever since I was a teen and still does all these years later .

Long before internet or Oliver Stones movie , JFK ( which raised some interesting points but very flawed in parts ) many books ,magazine /newspaper articles , tv documentrys ( some better than others ) have being read and watched over the years and has left me (after many years of doubt ) feeling he was killed as part of a conspiracy .

Even if you disbelieve the conspiracy theory (and people will give you plenty of reason to do so ) there is just far to much stuff before, during , and after the assassination to be ' just coincidence '

From the security arragemements in place before the motorcade drove to downtown Dallas ( normal procedure would have a had a reccy party of secret servicemen check out the tall buildings surrounding Dealy Plazza for possibe sniper positions , several days before the motocade arrived ) Windows would not have being allowed open unless police were present .

The actual lone gunman theory , the accuracy of his shooting and the trajectory of the shots ( when looking at the zaphruder film it tells you that his head jerks back after the fatal shot )

Several frames were taken off the original footage by the FBI who also confiscated other films ,some which have never being seen since .

The sudden 'pause' by the limo after the fatal shot .

It is disputed to this day weather the president asked that the SS men to stay of the side steps of the limo so the crowd could see more of him and he himself had said on the morning to his SS men '' all it takes for somebody to shoot the president of the united states is for somebody to get on top of a building with a high powered rifle '' . Either way and considering he had so many enemys , both outside and inside his own goverment , it played perfectly into the hands of any would be shooter ...just coincidence ?

No statements of anything oswald said in closed police custody were written down or recorded by dallas police ( except what he is heard to say in front of the news reporters and cameras )

Oswalds lack of proper protection in police custody ( this was the man who supposedly had just killed the president of the united states ) and as he was led out back from the police station .

The warning some time earlier before the assassination , by a female associate of mobsters to nurses and doctors at a Texas hospital of how and where the president was going to be ' hit ' ( to detailed to be just the ramblings of a drunk )

the tape recording in the hands of police and FBI made in a Miami hotel 3 months earlier with mobsters confirming that ' yes , the president would be hit when he come to Texas ' .

The anxiety and rush by the secret service to get the presidents body out of Dallas against the wishs of police and doctors in Dallas which is against all police law enforement rules .

The dead presidents autopsy photos and x rays which when shown on display for media consumption 'didn't' ( according to people who saw the originals ) look anything like them , leading many top doctors to suggest they had tampered with to distort any possible frontal head or neck bullet entry appearence .

Oswald and Rubys connections to the mob ...a whole story in itself

RFK's reluctance after the warren commisions report to ask for further investigations into his brothers death for fear it would reveal more about their connections to the underworld ,the affairs both away from and at the white house ,his brothers state of health ,involvement in the plot to kill castro and much more ...

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

My favourite time travel story I've read is this one. Its a long story, but the gist of it is a guy accidentally travelled to a parallel universe back in the 80's where the Beatles had never broken up, and he managed to swipe one of their albums on from someones house who found him unconscious.

Whats nice is the story is all tied up (lack of memory, loss of consciousness, inability to go back etc.), and he's even put up said album on the site to listen to. Its pretty great too, really sounds authentic!

It's interesting how he so readily accepted that he'd been tranferred to a parallel universe...
    He took a look at the machine near the window and looked back at me and said he transported me into parallel Earth. He said he traveled to our Earth dimension and found me knocked out in the blazing heat with nobody around to help me out. Normally he said he doesn't take outsiders through a portal but in my case he thought I needed urgent help.

I immediately started asking questions about traveling to parallel worlds, since all I knew about the topic was you tube videos of Michio Kaku.
    I have a feeling this is either a good album of remixes, samples etc, as someone else said or there's a Beatles covers band that have started writing their own material and are trying to make it big, viral style.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Latchy wrote: »
    The actual lone gunman theory , the accuracy of his shooting and the trajectory of the shots ( when looking at the zaphruder film it tells you that his head jerks back after the fatal shot )

I have no problem with the JFK conspiracy, I'm sure a lot of people wanted him dead. I just think there's no reason to suppose there was more than one gunman. Oswald was a sharpshooter in the marines, the kill was an easy one.

The reason why the head jerks back isn't a mystery either. People expect bullets to make people jerk back, like in the movies, but this does not happen in real life, bullets generally don't have enough force to move a human body. The reason the head jerks back is that the bullet created a little 'jet' of brain and bone matter. The head moved back in response to this (every action has an equal and opposite reaction)

Pen and Teller do a good demonstration (starts around 7 mins in)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Renewed favourite for me ATM- This kicks 'Ancient Aliens' ass

This ties a lot of stuff I've learnt/been investigating the last few years nicely. :)

The Mothman and Springheel Jack actually kept me up until 3am last night panicking and trying to distract myself. I have a very vivid imagination.

Madeline McCann is a mystery mentioned dozens of times on this thread. Philip Kearns also was someone I was interested in since he was not much older than me and I knew the area well. The river Dodder was in flood at the time which could explain a bit.

Richey James Edwards is my ultimate mystery, being a diehard Manics fan since 1994, but in all likelihood Richey died in the Severn on February 1st 1995. I don't believe he was ever spotted in Goa. He was very attached to his family and no matter how messed up he was, find it hard to believe that he would abandon his old school friends (the band members) and family without a word for sixteen years. Richey is dead. Whether in the Severn or not, he's gone.

No one has mentioned a case my father heard about that happened in Ireland, don't know if it's been documented or not. A kid took his younger neighbour into a thicket of trees, chopped him to death with an axe, then dragged the body home in a black bin bag, and left it in the corner of the room while he ate dinner with his parents. On inspection the parents discovered he had a shrine to Satan set up in his room, and had left the said bin bag underneath it.

But what this solicitor told my father was that apparently the hedge along the road where the body had been dragged by was inexplicably singed the whole way.

I don't believe this crap myself, but it makes for a great story. This was told to my father in 1977 I think, it was the day before he got married anyway, he was in court cause The General had nicked the seats out of his car! Passed within feet of the man on the day!

Oh yeah, apparently the same kid was put in Dundrum Asylum, and a priest visited him, and said afterwards "I have met the devil".

Sure scared the crap out of me as a kid! I should ask my da for more details now I'm an adult and he thinks he can't scare me with ghost stories. He could, but he doesn't need to know I'm still a little pansy. Don't anyone mention any more mothmen or springheelers cause God, I'm easily scared.

No one has mentioned a case my father heard about that happened in Ireland, don't know if it's been documented or not. A kid took his younger neighbour into a thicket of trees, chopped him to death with an axe, then dragged the body home in a black bin bag, and left it in the corner of the room while he ate dinner with his parents. On inspection the parents discovered he had a shrine to Satan set up in his room, and had left the said bin bag underneath it.

But what this solicitor told my father was that apparently the hedge along the road where the body had been dragged by was inexplicably singed the whole way.

I don't believe this crap myself, but it makes for a great story. This was told to my father in 1977 I think, it was the day before he got married anyway, he was in court cause The General had nicked the seats out of his car! Passed within feet of the man on the day!

Oh yeah, apparently the same kid was put in Dundrum Asylum, and a priest visited him, and said afterwards "I have met the devil".

Sure scared the crap out of me as a kid! I should ask my da for more details now I'm an adult and he thinks he can't scare me with ghost stories. He could, but he doesn't need to know I'm still a little pansy. Don't anyone mention any more mothmen or springheelers cause God, I'm easily scared.

Ok , I actually know a fair bit about this case - my sister was playing with the dead boy only a few hours before his murder.
    The case was in 1973 or 1974 , the older neighbour ( 15 or 16 ) did kill the younger neighbour who was 7 or 8 , there was no axe murdering - AFAIK it was strangulation and/or a blow to the head.
    The killer then hid the body in the attic where the guards found it the next day , the killer did have an unhealthy interest in the occult and this gace rise to all sorts of silly rumours - must admit I haven't heard the story about the singed hedge but I can safely say its 100% crap.

The lad was incarcerated but was released after 6 or 7 years - I have since met him twice and brace yourselves folks but he comes across as a completely normal and well-adjusted person.

A book will be published in the next few weeks about this case , I think it will be called '' The Boy Next Door '' or something similar.

Ok , I actually know a fair bit about this case - my sister was playing with the dead boy only a few hours before his murder.
    The case was in 1973 or 1974 , the older neighbour ( 15 or 16 ) did kill the younger neighbour who was 7 or 8 , there was no axe murdering - AFAIK it was strangulation and/or a blow to the head.
    The killer then hid the body in the attic where the guards found it the next day , the killer did have an unhealthy interest in the occult and this gace rise to all sorts of silly rumours - must admit I haven't heard the story about the singed hedge but I can safely say its 100% crap.

The lad was incarcerated but was released after 6 or 7 years - I have since met him twice and brace yourselves folks but he comes across as a completely normal and well-adjusted person.

A book will be published in the next few weeks about this case , I think it will be called '' The Boy Next Door '' or something similar.

Thanks! I knew my dad was full of crap, he always is, he tells tall tales (but only cause he knows he can scare the sh1t out of his kids!). That is why I remain cynical about everything as an adult! The time sounds about right, I honestly don't know exactly when my parents got married (around 76 or 77) but the case was in court at the time. I did post this tongue in cheek because I don't believe this singed hedge nonsense, but I did as a kid.

I did know the case existed though cause he wouldn't have made that up.

Thanks again for actually shedding some factual light on a case I had heard about as a young child and never had enough facts to use google about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Who's taking the horse to France.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Most People do not understand why they believe or the Roots of their own beliefs.It's not important enough to them.They live out their lives that way.

Advertisement