Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

paddyandy wrote: »
    Most People do not understand why they believe or the Roots of their own beliefs.It's not important enough to them.They live out their lives that way.

Sheeple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I have no problem with the JFK conspiracy, I'm sure a lot of people wanted him dead. I just think there's no reason to suppose there was more than one gunman. Oswald was a sharpshooter in the marines, the kill was an easy one.

The reason why the head jerks back isn't a mystery either. People expect bullets to make people jerk back, like in the movies, but this does not happen in real life, bullets generally don't have enough force to move a human body. The reason the head jerks back is that the bullet created a little 'jet' of brain and bone matter. The head moved back in response to this (every action has an equal and opposite reaction)

Pen and Teller do a good demonstration (starts around 7 mins in)
    That's a possibility of course and you'll find other explanations on you tube with similar scientific study given as to why the head jerks back as it does and the world seems to be dived up into those who claim Oswald was a sharpshooter and those who say he wasn't (including some of his marine buddies ) but anyhow , it was a perfect set up for anybody who skills on the rifle weren't up to scratch ... even the weather was on his side that day .

If you take the second gunman theory out of the equasion , it still doesn't mean he wasn't part of a conspiricy but dead men don't talk and what better way to have the '' case closed '' than to kill off the one man who may/may not have told the world much more .It took the pressure off and suited everybody ,the Dallas police ,FBI ,American ,Goverment and the Mob to have him dead... asap after the event .

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

The Mothman and Springheel Jack actually kept me up until 3am last night panicking and trying to distract myself. I have a very vivid imagination.

Madeline McCann is a mystery mentioned dozens of times on this thread. Philip Kearns also was someone I was interested in since he was not much older than me and I knew the area well. The river Dodder was in flood at the time which could explain a bit.

Richey James Edwards is my ultimate mystery, being a diehard Manics fan since 1994, but in all likelihood Richey died in the Severn on February 1st 1995. I don't believe he was ever spotted in Goa. He was very attached to his family and no matter how messed up he was, find it hard to believe that he would abandon his old school friends (the band members) and family without a word for sixteen years. Richey is dead. Whether in the Severn or not, he's gone.

No one has mentioned a case my father heard about that happened in Ireland, don't know if it's been documented or not. A kid took his younger neighbour into a thicket of trees, chopped him to death with an axe, then dragged the body home in a black bin bag, and left it in the corner of the room while he ate dinner with his parents. On inspection the parents discovered he had a shrine to Satan set up in his room, and had left the said bin bag underneath it.

But what this solicitor told my father was that apparently the hedge along the road where the body had been dragged by was inexplicably singed the whole way.

I don't believe this crap myself, but it makes for a great story. This was told to my father in 1977 I think, it was the day before he got married anyway, he was in court cause The General had nicked the seats out of his car! Passed within feet of the man on the day!

Oh yeah, apparently the same kid was put in Dundrum Asylum, and a priest visited him, and said afterwards "I have met the devil".

Sure scared the crap out of me as a kid! I should ask my da for more details now I'm an adult and he thinks he can't scare me with ghost stories. He could, but he doesn't need to know I'm still a little pansy. Don't anyone mention any more mothmen or springheelers cause God, I'm easily scared.
    Jack and Mothy are having a party at my house:cool:

SdoowSirhc wrote: »

That's so last Thursday - I'm not scared of them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

The Zodiac Killer ...
    The Zodiac killer was active in Northern California for ten months in the late 1960s. He killed at least five people, and injured two. He comitted the first two murders with a pistol, just inside the Benecia border. In his second shooting in Vallejo, he attempted to kill two people, but one survived despite gunshots to the head and neck. 40 minutes later the police recieved an anonymous phone call from a man claiming to be their killer and admitting to the murders of the previous two victims. One month three letters were sent to Newspapers in California containing a cypher that the killer claimed would give them his name. They cypher was decrypted to read:

“I LIKE KILLING PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS SO MUCH FUN IT IS MORE FUN THAN KILLING WILD GAME IN THE FORREST BECAUSE MAN IS THE MOST DANGEROUE ANAMAL OF ALL TO KILL SOMETHING GIVES ME THE MOST THRILLING EXPERENCE IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN GETTING YOUR ROCKS OFF WITH A GIRL THE BEST PART OF IT IS THAE WHEN I DIE I WILL BE REBORN IN PARADICE AND THEI HAVE KILLED WILL BECOME MY SLAVES I WILL NOT GIVE YOU MY NAME BECAUSE YOU WILL TRY TO SLOI DOWN OR ATOP MY COLLECTIOG OF SLAVES FOR MY AFTERLIFE EBEORIETEMETHHPITI” The last eighteen letters have not been decrypted.

While Arthur Leigh Allen was the prime suspect, all of the evidence was against him being the killer. To this day the Zodiac murders have not been solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

polka dot wrote: »
    The Zodiac Killer ...
    I watched the movie a few weeks back to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Jack the Ripper - Would like to know who it really was.

Marilyn Monroe - Something's not right there.

Roswell - Be it extraterrestrials or a German cover up (since they were trying to build them during WWII). I would just love to know the big juicy secret.

Extraterrestrials - The Universe is too vast for us to be the only spontaneously created life forms (humans and wildlife). Where are they and what are they like?

Dark Matter - We know only 4% of the Universe. What and who is in that other 96%?

Concentration Camps - Many of the meticulously-kept documents were destroyed by the Germans to attempt a cover up after the war. What happened that we don't already know about? Was it even worse than what we're given to believe?

Leaving Cert 2012 - What the **** is going to come up?!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Would'nt we all love to eavesdrop on those on the corridors of power to hear what they say among themselves.Theres ideas we'll never hear of out there.Ideas that would shame a telly for interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Nic Neptune

Would'nt we all love to eavesdrop on those on the corridors of power to hear what they say among themselves.Theres ideas we'll never hear of out there.Ideas that would shame a telly for interest.

Hell yeah!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

budgese wrote: »
    SdoowSirhc wrote: »

That's so last Thursday - I'm not scared of them anymore.
    Oh...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Im sure there's conversations on cover ups in the White House even Obama, Bush etc havent been privy to over the years. Plausible deniability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

way too many pages to read them all, im sure someone has said this already, but the biggest mystery i can see is how td's and people in rte are still getting paid so much money when the rest of the country is f*cked.

i dont mean it in a whingey way, i genuinely cant understand how it is still being allowed to happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

My favourite unsolved mystery is the identity of Jack the Ripper and could it really be the case that Jack the Ripper and Spring Heeled Jack were one and the same?

It's a very creepy thought.

Batsy wrote: »
    My favourite unsolved mystery is the identity of Jack the Ripper and could it really be the case that Jack the Ripper and Spring Heeled Jack were one and the same?

It's a very creepy thought.

Jack the Ripper leaping on rooftops and breathing blue-and-white flames! Honestly, it would make Ripper documentaries more exciting and interesting (and farcical).

I know what you're saying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Well, I'd love to know what all the money from the Northern Bank robbery is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Why I'm banned? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

What ever happened to Wheatus?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,922 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RachaelVO wrote: »

I bought hundreds of boxes of Daz but still no luck !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'd like to know why there's a black hole in my house, and why it only sucks in remote controls and single socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Funding a certain Presidential campaign (I joke I joke, I kid I kid)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wimmins :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

wimmins :pac:

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Jack the Ripper leaping on rooftops and breathing blue-and-white flames! Honestly, it would make Ripper documentaries more exciting and interesting (and farcical).

Both mysterious beings were around at the same time. Jack the Ripper did his (or, if you think about it, her or its) nefarious deeds in Whitechapel in east London in 1888.

Strangely enough, even though the first sightings of Spring Heeled Jack were in 1837 there were sightings of him by a group of British soldiers at the Aldershot barracks in 1877, and sightings between those dates, and the last recorded sighting of him was in Herefordshire, near the border with Wales, in 1986 when a man was slapped across the cheeks by a man with an elongated chin and a strange uniform who then bounded away by leaping great distances. So he (or she or it) was around during the Ripper murders. And it's a fact that both targetted women. It makes you think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If your ever in London, go on the Jack The Ripper ,city walking tour! Its a guided tour around the streets where it all happened! And the whole story is told in great detail!!
    Its fantastic!!
    my mother hates gorey things and violent crime! She HATES criminal minds etc and she really enjoyed it !!

Batsy wrote: »
    Both mysterious beings were around at the same time. Jack the Ripper did his (or, if you think about it, her or its) nefarious deeds in Whitechapel in east London in 1888.

Strangely enough, even though the first sightings of Spring Heeled Jack were in 1837 there were sightings of him by a group of British soldiers at the Aldershot barracks in 1877, and sightings between those dates, and the last recorded sighting of him was in Herefordshire, near the border with Wales, in 1986 when a man was slapped across the cheeks by a man with an elongated chin and a strange uniform who then bounded away by leaping great distances. So he (or she or it) was around during the Ripper murders. And it's a fact that both targetted women. It makes you think.

Yeah, "I know what you're saying" covered that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

how DO they get the fig in the fig roll:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Water a very mysterious substance. It the only substance that expands when it freezes, they can't get to grips as to what type of molecule it is.

Some would propose it is actually a different state of matter,

Permanent magnets, they disobey the laws of thermodynamics, they do work by resisting gravity and staying on your fridge, yet when the universe ends and your fridge door is still up right the magnetic power will still fade.

Why is the universe expanding at a faster rate. What is that mysterious energy they are now calling dark energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Almost certainly it was all destroyed a long time ago by whoever stole it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

4leto wrote: »
    Water a very mysterious substance. It the only substance that expands when it freezes,
    No it's not.
    Silicon
    Gallium (melts in your hand)
    Antimony
    Bismuth (more on this)
    Acetic Acid (liquid at room temperature, unless it's a cold room , super concentrated vinegar)
    Some would propose it is actually a different state of matter,
    some would not, but google polywater or pkyecrete
    Permanent magnets, they disobey the laws of thermodynamics, they do work by resisting gravity and staying on your fridge, yet when the universe ends and your fridge door is still up right the magnetic power will still fade.
    they don't do work because they aren't moving

bismuth is as dense as lead +/-
    it is repealled by magnets, a thin slice of it will float over permanent magnets
    Why is the universe expanding at a faster rate. What is that mysterious energy they are now calling dark energy.
    I could explain it to you but your head would explode :pac:

Advertisement