Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dlofnep wrote: »
    Yup - I used to get sleep paralysis for years.
    for years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Randy Anders

This is a quality thread

Heres one I always found very interesting, happend in Iran in 1976:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_sightings_in_Iran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just read the whole thread over 5 days. Mad stuff. I'm pretty sure the Antikythera Mechanism hasn't been mentioned:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
    The Antikythera mechanism is an ancient mechanical computer[1][2] designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–1901 from the Antikythera wreck.[3] Its significance and complexity were not understood until decades later. The construction has been dated to the early 1st century BC. Technological artifacts of similar complexity and workmanship did not reappear until the 14th century, when mechanical astronomical clocks were built in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

for years :eek:

On and off obviously :P

It's horrible. I think it happened when I used to have really poor sleeping patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

5 great disappearance stories not been mentioned before I think. On cracked.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why the people on the Titanic didn't take refuge on the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'm pretty sure it was a sheer cliff type iceberg so it would have been impossible to scale it. Plus it was dark so nobody would have been able to see it even if they could take refuge on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Why the inside of my motorbike helmet reeked of crispy bacon one morning after it'd been locked in the bikes carrier box all night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

titanic_iceberg.jpg

doesn't really seem big enough to hold that many people, plus they were already well past it by the time they realised how bad the situation was. Not sure how the'd get onto it if they had tried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    There's a theory that there was/is a few serial killers at large in Ireland but unlike UK media with this sort of thing the Irish media just brush it under the carpet.

Behavioral experts from the FBI looked into those cases and were convinced that a serial killer was responsible, but our gardai never went public with the "serial killer" theory in the fear it would cause public panic.
    Where no one can hear you scream by Sarah McInerney is an excellent book that deals with these disappearences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'm pretty sure it was a sheer cliff type iceberg so it would have been impossible to scale it. Plus it was dark so nobody would have been able to see it even if they could take refuge on it.

Yes, and the boat didn't just hit the iceberg and stop moving... it was adrift for hours before it actually went down.

Even if people were able to locate the icebeg, it would not have been easy to climb up onto it from the ocean.

Solved/

Neeeeeeeeeeeext :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Possibly the best thread ever! Some great stuff being posted on here

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

icarus86 wrote: »
    Possibly the best thread ever! Some great stuff being posted on here
    I have a love/hate relationship with this thread. Whenever someone posts a link to a site like Wikipedia or whatever, I click it and suddenly my day is wasted from constantly clicking on other links in that link. It's a vicious cycle! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I read something about human artefacts found in coal seams which if true and I doubt it is would push humans back 300+million years.

But googling looking for a link all I am getting back is creationist sites.:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

44leto wrote: »
    I read something about human artefacts found in coal seams which if true and I doubt it is would push humans back 300+million years.

But googling looking for a link all I am getting back is creationist sites.:(:(

I don't think this a creationist sight- haven't really looked that far into it. It calls the sort of thing you're talking about Ooparts. It seems to be an interesting site. http://byerly.org/whatifo.htm you might have a look if you like.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Deki wrote: »
    I don't think this a creationist sight- haven't really looked that far into it. It calls the sort of thing you're talking about Ooparts. It seems to be an interesting site. http://byerly.org/whatifo.htm you might have a look if you like.:)

Yes that is what I am looking for. Definitely weird if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I will have to take a better look later - the list on the homepage seemed worth a glance too.

al28283 wrote: »
    titanic_iceberg.jpg

doesn't really seem big enough to hold that many people, plus they were already well past it by the time they realised how bad the situation was. Not sure how the'd get onto it if they had tried
    row the life boats over to it, drop some peoples off and go back for more

boot hook or ropes to climb up it,

they only needed to stay for a few hours

actually if the titanic had chased the iceberg they could have anchored her to it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

row the life boats over to it, drop some peoples off and go back for more

boot hook or ropes to climb up it,

they only needed to stay for a few hours

actually if the titanic had chased the iceberg they could have anchored her to it ?
    Hmmmmm... I'm beginning to doubt that you're a real captain...

If they had of been able to see the iceberg they wouldn't have crashed into it!!

It was pitch black in the middle of the Atlantic ocean... the lifeboats couldn't see anything and there was no light whatsoever once the liner sank. Not to mention the dynamics of trying to turn the world's biggest ship to go looking for an iceberg it just crashed into and passed!!

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Hmmmmm... I'm beginning to doubt that you're a real captain...

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ginger adam

It sank because the 15 lookouts 2 of them had binoculars

It was in the middle of the night... binoculars would have been useless. They only light was coming from the ship so they couldn't see anything around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Balderdash I say my fellow boardsie, Titanic had two in the nest and her officers on the bridge all of whom did not possess bionoculars, this 15 number confuses me I say.

It was in the middle of the night... binoculars would have been useless. They only light was coming from the ship so they couldn't see anything around them.
    Arent Icebergs normally pretty damn big? Enough lookouts with binoculars and someone would have seen it earlier than they did.

Your eyes also adjust to the light. I've been on ships during the night and after a while you can make out shapes in the distance.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Arent Icebergs normally pretty damn big? Enough lookouts with binoculars and someone would have seen it earlier than they did.

How can you see something if there is no light? And icebergs are often enormous but the majority of the structure tends to be under water.

How can you see something if there is no light? And icebergs are often enormous but the majority of the structure tends to be under water.

I edited my post, but not quickly enough.

Your eyes adjust to the light. It's not as dark as you may think. It's by no means easy to see, but this is what the lookouts are paid to do. I think it takes about 15 minutes for your eyes to adjust enough to be useful. Unless it happened right at a change over of lookouts, if there were more pairs of binoculars goings around, I reckon at least one person would have seen a shape in the distance and point it out to someone before it was too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Your eyes also adjust to the light. I've been on ships during the night and after a while you can make out shapes in the distance.

Your right they can be quite big but the sad reality is you can't maneuver a ship like Titanic in the time they had. The correct call from the bridge should have been 'Full Stop' and let her hit, instead they panicked and the chief officer called for the port around.

Advertisement