Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

bb1234567 wrote: »
    http://paraisnormal.wikidot.com/lake-anjikuni-eskimo-village
    Dont know if this has been posted or not before ,probably has but anyway I find it very freaky. Years ago in Alaska the entire population of a thriving eskimo town vanished into thin air. Never seen or heard of again. Around 1,500 people lived in the town before the population disappeared, the town was later found as it was left. No foot prints in or out, food cooking on stoves, teapots boiling, clothes being washed etc no difference except nobody was there...very creepy..must be something paranormal..no other explanation really imo.

thats a great one. That would make a great movie plot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The empty Eskimo village thang is now considered very spurious. No police reports of the time as referenced mention it at all. It seems to have been a later invention.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Madeleine McCann?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Madeleine McCann?

Only been mentioned about 10 gazillion times:p

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Wibbs wrote: »
    The empty Eskimo village thang is now considered very spurious. No police reports of the time as referenced mention it at all. It seems to have been a later invention.

Correct sir, I found a comment on another page with the same story (comment left by the author of the page)
    Canis,A little research verifies what you say about The Toronto Daily Star - according to the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) website they say this about the incident: AnjikuniThe story about the disappearance in the 1930's of an Inuit village near Lake Anjikuni is not true. An American author by the name of Frank Edwards is purported to have started this story in his book Stranger than Science. It has become a popular piece of journalism, repeatedly published and referred to in books and magazines. There is no evidence however to support such a story. A village with such a large population would not have existed in such a remote area of the Northwest Territories (62 degrees north and 100 degrees west, about 100 km west of Eskimo Point). Furthermore, the Mounted Police who patrolled the area recorded no untoward events of any kind and neither did local trappers or missionaries.

Still a nice piece of fiction though, piqued my interest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

In 1935, Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard of the British Royal Air Force had a harrowing experience in his Hawker Hart biplane. Goddard was a Wing Commander at the time and while on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he decided to fly over an abandoned airfield at Drem, not far from Edinburgh. The useless airfield was overgrown with foliage, the hangars were falling apart and cows grazed where planes were once parked. Goddard then continued his flight to Andover, but encountered a bizarre storm. In the high winds of the storm's strange brown-yellow clouds, he lost control of his plane, which began to spiral toward the ground. Narrowly averting a crash, Goddard found that his plane was heading back toward Drem. As he approached the old airfield, the storm suddenly vanished and Goddard's plane was now flying in brilliant sunshine. This time, as he flew over the Drem airfield, it looked completely different. The hangars looked like new. There were four airplanes on the ground: three were familiar biplanes, but painted in an unfamiliar yellow; the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. The mechanics were dressed in blue overalls, which Goddard thought odd since all RAF mechanics dressed in brown overalls. Strange, too, that none of the mechanics seemed to notice him fly over. Leaving the area, he again encountered the storm, but managed to make his way back to Andover. It wasn't until 1939 that that the RAF began to paint their planes yellow, enlisted a monoplane of the type that Goddard saw, and the mechanics uniforms were switched to blue. Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Philadelphia experiement never happened - just ask the wartime crew of the USS Eldridge.

Another fake story was the Picnic at Hanging Rock fable - though the film said it was based on fact the whole thing was a work of fiction.

We all love a mystery but so many of them never happened and for those that are ' real ' there are very plausible explanations for them - unfortunately :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

9/11 was an inside job.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper,
    Wait a minute, where's me jumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

just found this thread so bear with me, i remember a tv show years ago which told a story about a family of pioneer homesteaders heading to california in the 1800s, they had to cross a desert not sure which one maybe death valley, they ran out of water half way through and could not go on, so they sent two or three of the strongest lads ahead to try and find water to bring back to the rest of the family, these guys were searching for hours and could not find water anywhere and were about to give up, just then they saw something in the distance a building like they had never seen before, it was a petrol station, they went in and got a few plastic containers of water and the youngest lad there saw a card with a bright red car on it a ford mustang i think, anyway they had to get the water back to the family so did not hang around, they were amazed at what they saw, they made there way back to the rest of the family and the water saved their lives, the thing i remember from this story is that the young lad who had the card with the car on it kept it in his family for years and his great grandson went on to become the governor of montana, and he had that card with him all his life. i hope that story is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sounds ligit all right

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

cranefly wrote: »
    just found this thread so bear with me, i remember a tv show years ago which told a story about a family of pioneer homesteaders heading to california in the 1800s, they had to cross a desert not sure which one maybe death valley, they ran out of water half way through and could not go on, so they sent two or three of the strongest lads ahead to try and find water to bring back to the rest of the family, these guys were searching for hours and could not find water anywhere and were about to give up, just then they saw something in the distance a building like they had never seen before, it was a petrol station, they went in and got a few plastic containers of water and the youngest lad there saw a card with a bright red car on it a ford mustang i think, anyway they had to get the water back to the family so did not hang around, they were amazed at what they saw, they made there way back to the rest of the family and the water saved their lives, the thing i remember from this story is that the young lad who had the card with the car on it kept it in his family for years and his great grandson went on to become the governor of montana, and he had that card with him all his life. i hope that story is true.

So they time travelled not once but twice? and had a card with a car from the future on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

i hope it is ligit, and maybe it was not the guys from the 1800s who time travelled it might have been the petrol station, its just one of those stories that stick in your mind, i never saw a repeat of that programme since, the part that made it more credible for me was the descendant becoming governor of montana 60 or so years later. i have recently been caught out in thinking the film, the fourth kind, with mila jovivich was a true story, about alien abduction or people thinking they were abducted in alaska, then to find out a new genre to me in film making is mockumentary, mila jovivch was so believable at the start of the film, just goes to show you cant even trust what you see on tv anymore if you ever could.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sided

What TeddyTedson did at his job that he was scared he'd get fired for...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Thanks all for the contributions, I never thought the thread would turn into this monster of a thing ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. ... Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?
    First Hawker Hurricane was flown in 1935.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairey_Long-range_Monoplane - a monoplane in RAF service in 1928.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarine_S.4 an ancestor of the Spitfire, from 1925.

Just an aside, floats slow planes down and makes them less manoeuvrable so ditching then would be an obvious step if you wanted better performance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hughes_H-1_Racer
    The H-1 first flew in 1935 and promptly broke the world landplane speed record with Hughes at the controls, clocking 352 mph (566 km/h) averaged over four timed passes. ... At the time, the world seaplane speed record was 440 mph (709 km/h), set by a Macchi M.C.72 in October 1934.
    Howard Hughes broke some records but the mystery is why he bothered or why anyone cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Howard Hughes broke some records but the mystery is why he bothered or why anyone cared.

millionaire celebrity with too much time on his hands is why he bothered, people cared because he was famous.
    Mystery solved :cool:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Maybe if i climbed Mt. Everest people might listen to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

The mystery of how I fell asleep on a row of seats in London Heathrow and woke up on the tarmac in Dublin in a plane.

I was ~11 at the time, had just flown from North America and missed a connecting Aer Lingus flight to Dublin. I have no memory whatsoever of getting on the flight at all, scary experience. Apparently I was walking, albeit pulled along, all the way. God bless the poor flight attendants, they must have thought I was being kidnapped!

I'm notoriously bad for jet lag though. I slept for nearly a full 24 hours afterwards, after which I thought it was about time for breakfast, at 8 pm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Who really killed Michael Collins? Was it really the alleged Sonny O' Neill? Funny how you get big conspiracies in American history and rarely/never in Irish history. Could this be a conspiracy? Who knows....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

Spontaneous human combustion,there was one recently in Ireland but not much said about it just that it occurred,scary sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Thanks all for the contributions, I never thought the thread would turn into this monster of a thing ;)

'Tis a great thread. Sometimes a topic will just tap into a common area of fascination.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Tara Calico.

Wonder whatever happened to her and what the unreleased photos show.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

the cleveland torso murderer all victims beheaded
    the black dahlia , cut in half
    was it the same killer in both , creepy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

In 1935, Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard of the British Royal Air Force had a harrowing experience in his Hawker Hart biplane. Goddard was a Wing Commander at the time and while on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he decided to fly over an abandoned airfield at Drem, not far from Edinburgh. The useless airfield was overgrown with foliage, the hangars were falling apart and cows grazed where planes were once parked. Goddard then continued his flight to Andover, but encountered a bizarre storm. In the high winds of the storm's strange brown-yellow clouds, he lost control of his plane, which began to spiral toward the ground. Narrowly averting a crash, Goddard found that his plane was heading back toward Drem. As he approached the old airfield, the storm suddenly vanished and Goddard's plane was now flying in brilliant sunshine. This time, as he flew over the Drem airfield, it looked completely different. The hangars looked like new. There were four airplanes on the ground: three were familiar biplanes, but painted in an unfamiliar yellow; the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. The mechanics were dressed in blue overalls, which Goddard thought odd since all RAF mechanics dressed in brown overalls. Strange, too, that none of the mechanics seemed to notice him fly over. Leaving the area, he again encountered the storm, but managed to make his way back to Andover. It wasn't until 1939 that that the RAF began to paint their planes yellow, enlisted a monoplane of the type that Goddard saw, and the mechanics uniforms were switched to blue. Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?

Sounds like Goddard had taken a vat of glue :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Unfortunately Michaela McAreavey is now added to this list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Unfortunately Michaela McAreavey is now added to this list

This thread is for your favourite mystery, it's not a list of depressing unsolved murders.
    gdavis wrote: »
    Spontaneous human combustion,there was one recently in Ireland but not much said about it just that it occurred,scary sh*t

Where did you hear this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Tara Calico.

Wonder whatever happened to her and what the unreleased photos show.

I find it strange that a 19 year old would tell her mother to come get her if she wasn't home by noon. Perhaps she had some inkling that she was in danger of some sort.

ETA: I don't see why they were theorising that the photo was of Tara. It's a very clear photo and it would be easy enough for someone who knew her to say definitively that it was her in the photo. Nasty photo too... I can't imagine if it was my child in that photo that I would ever know another moment's peace. :(

Shryke wrote: »
    This thread is for your favourite mystery, it's not a list of depressing unsolved murders.

As the OP I think he probably can post what he likes in his own thread plus a majority of favourite mysteries are unsolved murders. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

^
    1) ya if he wants to change the thread title.
    2) it's a bit soon in my eyes to be talking about such a case in any kind of favourites thread.

Lets not dwell on it.

Advertisement