Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How did Enda Kenny become a teacher?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

skimpydoo wrote: »
    How did Enda Kenny become a teacher?.

" those who can do,
    those who cannot teach "

The wise words of Aristotle fit perfectly here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Hatchet Harry

Is the sky really blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭WILL NEVER LOG OFF

Did Dodge really die?

When will he return to Summer Bay??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The man in the tank is an Irish mystery, documentary on tg4 last week, might still be on player http://lugnad.ie/the-man-in-the-tank/
    a railway tank/container washed to shore with nothing but the naked remains of a man inside.

Actually, don't know if there's player for tg4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

chicorytip wrote: »
    The Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder. There was something about the circumstances of that event as well as the failure to identify her killer which,I believe,still resonates with many people even after eighteen years.

People "resonate" to this event because it is regularly revisited in the news. If it was just a regular common or garden mystery then it wouldn't keep cropping up. Why does it keep reappearing in the media? That's the big question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is the sky really blue?
    No. Its the reflection of the ocean.

I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No. Its the reflection of the ocean.

I heard

Incorrect, its blue colour comes from Rayleigh scattering. It's not blue for the same reasons that, say, blue paint is blue. But it appears blue nonetheless and still would if there wasn't an ocean on Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Trademark

check_six wrote: »
    People "resonate" to this event because it is regularly revisited in the news. If it was just a regular common or garden mystery then it wouldn't keep cropping up. Why does it keep reappearing in the media? That's the big question.

Similar to the Raonaid Murray murder, every September without fail it's in the papers about the n-th anniversary, looking for new witnesses to something that happened 15 years ago. I doubt any amount of questioning or new types of forensics will find a suspect, it'll be a disgruntled ex or former friend looking to clear their conscience/hang the former partner/former friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Why do cyclists wear sunglasses in the pouring rain at nightfall?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

They must be night vision glasses..

Thats why they dont need to stop at red traffic lights.. Cyclists can see everything..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cos bono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I expect it's probably either to keep the rain out of their eyes while cycling, as it can be quite hard to not get distracted with drops ploughing into your eyes, or to stop the glare of headlights, as lots of motorists are cnuts and it can be quite hard to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

Trademark wrote: »
    Similar to the Raonaid Murray murder, every September without fail it's in the papers about the n-th anniversary, looking for new witnesses to something that happened 15 years ago. I doubt any amount of questioning or new types of forensics will find a suspect, it'll be a disgruntled ex or former friend looking to clear their conscience/hang the former partner/former friend.

Doubt there would as much media attention had she been from coolock or ballymun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Edna Kenny: Has he any brain cells or is he really a wind up puppet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 minmin

The man in the tank is an Irish mystery, documentary on tg4 last week, might still be on player http:**lugnad.ie*the-man-in-the-tank*
    a railway tank/container washed to shore with nothing but the naked remains of a man inside.

Actually, don't know if there's player for tg4.

TG4 has a player: Seinnteoir TG4

to go directly to that broadcast, rather than navigating through the player menus
    http:**nasc.tg4.tv*1rpeJP1
    (change * to / )

It will be on the player for another 29 days
    In December 1941, in the midst of World War Two, a railway tank wagon (for transporting liquid such as oil or water by rail) was washed ashore on an island off the west coast of Ireland. In it lay the body of a dead man. Wearing little or no clothing and with no distinguishing marks he was simply called 'The Man in the Tank' by the islanders. Who buried him in 'holy ground', their graveyard: the ruins of a fifth century monastery. To this very day no-one knows who he was or where he came from. A few remaining islanders who were alive at the time tell their memories of the event

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I sometimes wonder if there is a little blip on search engines when people see a new post on this thread, looking for a bit more background info on the latest post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

The Kinross incident, the somerton man, the William Herbert Wallace murder trial & the Isdal woman are just a few of the more fascinating cases I've recently read about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Pat Kenny on Newstalk had an item about this today: a couple in their 60s who simply disappeared from Fermoy in 1991. When the guards broke into the house, they found nothing amiss - the couple both wore glasses for reading, and those spectacles were still in the house, the beds upstairs were made, 2 passports were found with £1,000 cash in a tin - but no indication of where the couple, or their car, had gone.
    It's mad: I'm easily old enough to remember this - I remember the summer of 1991 extremely well - yet it completely passed me by.
    Can't help feeling sorry for the family.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-couple-who-vanished-without-trace-from-fermoy-30672202.html

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

Thanks dewinter; never heard of the O'Dwyers before (but before my time). Very interesting, sounds like they were in Lourdes anyhow...Wondering had they been stockpiling money?

Edit; Only saw their passports were still at home...There goes that!

Thanks dewinter; never heard of the O'Dwyers before (but before my time). Very interesting, sounds like they were in Lourdes anyhow...Wondering had they been stockpiling money?

Edit; Only saw their passports were still at home...There goes that!

As I say, it completely passed me by - I'm surprised there hasn't been more coverage over the years. Very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Speaking of disapearences , he's a recent article by Cracked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

http://nymag.com/news/features/17336/

I just read this today. Disappearance around 9/11 but never found.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Pat Kenny on Newstalk had an item about this today: a couple in their 60s who simply disappeared from Fermoy in 1991. When the guards broke into the house, they found nothing amiss - the couple both wore glasses for reading, and those spectacles were still in the house, the beds upstairs were made, 2 passports were found with £1,000 cash in a tin - but no indication of where the couple, or their car, had gone.
    It's mad: I'm easily old enough to remember this - I remember the summer of 1991 extremely well - yet it completely passed me by.
    Can't help feeling sorry for the family.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-couple-who-vanished-without-trace-from-fermoy-30672202.html

I read about this recently. The one thing I find a bit strange is that they hadn't been seen for 18 days by the time the guards were notified.

Another man from Fermoy, William Fennessey, went missing, also along with his car the year before. His car and body were found in the blackwater river in 2012. I wonder if something similar happened to this couple?

This old article talks about Fennessey and how the two cases could possibly be linked. At that time his body hadnt been recovered.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/three-people-two-cars-and-a-mystery-that-wont-go-away-26087358.html

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I read about this recently. The one thing I find a bit strange is that they hadn't been seen for 18 days by the time the guards were notified.

Another man from Fermoy, William Fennessey, went missing, also along with his car the year before. His car and body were found in the blackwater river in 2012. I wonder if something similar happened to this couple?

This old article talks about Fennessey and how the two cases could possibly be linked. At that time his body hadnt been recovered.

http://www.independent.ie/unsorted/features/three-people-two-cars-and-a-mystery-that-wont-go-away-26087358.html

God, 2012 - so that guy Fennessy was missing for 22 years. So sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

The Madeleine Mccann mystery is very intriguing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

God, 2012 - so that guy Fennessy was missing for 22 years. So sad...

At least his family finally got some closure. Here is the article about the car and body being found

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/corkman/news/remains-in-river-confirmed-as-missing-bill-fennessy-29290391.html

Advertisement