Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

The 9/11 one is so sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

dubstarr wrote: »
    The 9/11 one is so sad.

I'd say there are a few people who used 9/11 as an opportunity to disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Why are so many female Irish politicians called Mary :confused:
    There's something about?

kylith wrote: »

Yes i suppose they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

lazygal wrote: »
    http://nymag.com/news/features/17336/

I just read this today. Disappearance around 9/11 but never found.

Thats a fascinating story, very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

kylith wrote: »

I remember this one from postsecret a few years back. http://postsecretcollection.com/PostCards/1d06bb190182437fa8094d61b47006f7/Everyone-who-knew-me-before-9-11-believes-im-dead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Excellent thread. I've spent most of the day going through it.

Some modern mysteries I find interesting:
    • The disappearance of the McStay Family from San Diego. A family of four suddenly run from their house, leaving half-eaten food out and their dogs without food, to flee across the (nearby) Mexican border. Despite them owning a car, cameras show them (or a group thought to be them) walking over the border on foot. This was a middle-class family with no connection to gangs or crime. They gave no indication to family or friends that they were in trouble. What were they running from? Where are they now?
    Great thread!

The McStay Family disappearance in USA always intrigued me

This mystery has maybe been solved. The police have made an arrest. The man arrested was the business partner of Joseph McStay and was supposedly the last person to hear from the family after he received a phone call from Joseph McStay's phone after the family had disappeared. It appears he made that call himself as the police have said he killed the family inside their home.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-mcstay-family-new-details-20141107-story.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

The money pit on oak island in Nova Scotia, Canada off the top of my head at least

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Anyone listening to seriel podcast, I'm fascinated, probably never find out what happened

Anyone listening to seriel podcast, I'm fascinated, probably never find out what happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Neither will we if you don't tell us what they're talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭maxximus

Serial is superb and as a true crime fanatic highly recommended .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Who is/was the Zodiac Killer??

Got a bit obsessed with this for a while after watching David Fincher's "Zodiac" movie ........ countless books and documentaries later and I'm still fascinated by the whole case.

Philip Cairns.I always wondered what happened to him.He was the same age as myself.28 years missing and still nothing was ever found of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Philip Cairns.I always wondered what happened to him.He was the same age as myself.28 years missing and still nothing was ever found of him.

Featherbeds.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Featherbeds.

What.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What.

I posted on the thread a while back that it happened right around the corner from me (though I was only a few months old at the time) and a lot of my friends growing up went to Colaiste Eanna. It's obviously just hearsay but the vast majority in the area reckon whatever happened to him after being abducted, he eventually got buried in or near the Featherbeds in the Dublin mountains.

I'm from the area went to the girls school next door and my cuz was in his class, never heard that, what his poor family went through are still going through is truly awful

I'm from the area went to the girls school next door and my cuz was in his class, never heard that, what his poor family went through are still going through is truly awful

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Awkward Author

Why the F£"^ I went and read through all of these posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Is that your favourite unsolved mystery?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A good writer is a good reader first. Maybe that's what makes you an awkward author. ;)

frag420 wrote: »
    Is that your favourite unsolved mystery?

yes

An File wrote: »
    A good writer is a good reader first. Maybe that's what makes you an awkward author. ;)

but to got through them all fastidiously??? I think there's something wrong with me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I'm still disturbed from this thread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭soap1978

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I'm still disturbed from this thread :(
    great update and great to know

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

soap1978 wrote: »
    great update and great to know

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

number #23

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

A lot of the mysteries mentioned here, are my favorites and I have enjoyed reading about them and puzzling over them. Recently, I have been reading up on the strange case of Elisa Lam..Weird situation altogether..Was it the case of a woman with a mental illness or something more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sapphire3 wrote: »
    A lot of the mysteries mentioned here, are my favorites and I have enjoyed reading about them and puzzling over them. Recently, I have been reading up on the strange case of Elisa Lam..Weird situation altogether..Was it the case of a woman with a mental illness or something more?

Dark Water

Advertisement