Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The Mary Celeste or the Dyatolov pass incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭GalwayGirl26

aaronc182 wrote: »
    The Lipstick murders and The Black dahlia

Just read up on The Lipstick Murderer; So tragic that he spent pretty much his entire life in prison; As far as I could understand he was innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

What's the mystery though?? :confused:

Why they did it? Mental health issues it would appear ....... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

MadDog76 wrote: »
    What's the mystery though?? :confused:

Why they did it? Mental health issues it would appear ....... ??

Have you seen the footage from the Motorway accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNHD2luHzo

The mystery is how they both didnt wound up dead is beyond me or most people who have viewed it.
    Also the whole affair is I dont know just weird. Is it a absolute mystery probably not but still......

One persons mystery another persons run of the mill I suppose....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Have you seen the footage from the Motorway accident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdNHD2luHzo

The mystery is how they both didnt wound up dead is beyond me or most people who have viewed it.
    Also the whole affair is I dont know just weird. Is it a absolute mystery probably not but still......

One persons mystery another persons run of the mill I suppose....

I have seen the footage ......... and the full length documentary too.

A lot of people survive what should have been fatal accidents/situations ........ it's called being lucky ......... don't know why you would pinpoint this particular lucky escape as mysterious??? :confused:

Not having a go or anything but seeing as "unsolved mystery" is in the the title of the thread I was just curious as to what "mystery" you were referring to in this incident ............ thought maybe I'd missed something ............ but obviously I hadn't

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »

Maybe a
    Black_Knight Peroxide powered rocket put it there ?

Space Debris is serious stuff "As of 2009, about 19,000 pieces of debris larger than 5 cm (2.0 in) are tracked"

So if there is a mysterious object it's invisible to radar. And our own stealth technology tends to work best at certain frequencies. A 1940s long wave radar could possibly pick out some stealth aircraft of today. Also anything in orbit that long would pick up dust / get damaged by micrometeroites - the analogy is that stealth aircraft show up in the rain.

And then there's all the sky surveys done by ground based telescopes.

We've picked up some of earth's moonlets and those horseshoe orbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

How did the Bankers get away with it?

And I'm afraid that one will never be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

For me it has to be the disappearance of MH370. What in gods name happened to that flight?

Just read up on The Lipstick Murderer; So tragic that he spent pretty much his entire life in prison; As far as I could understand he was innocent.

yeah it is pretty shocking what they did to him and the fact they never let him out,even on the parole hearings in 2007. he was definitely was innocent in my opinion too,which mean somebody got away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The Du Plantier case is one that's held my attention for a long time. A real smell of cover up off the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Aidric wrote: »
    The Du Plantier case is one that's held my attention for a long time. A real smell of cover up off the case.

That is an interesting case for me too, defo a cover up going on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Garzard

What was in the unopened FedEx package in Cast Away?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Garzard wrote: »
    What was in the unopened FedEx package in Cast Away?

"A waterproof, solar-powered, satellite phone".
    - Robert Zemeckis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

From the Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 unofficial disappearance theories Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_Airlines_Flight_370_unofficial_disappearance_theories

Proof that the extra crazy still seeps into these kind of things.
    The Independent and the Huffington Post have reported the suggestion that Pitbull and Shakira's song "Get It Started" displays prior knowledge of Flight 370's disappearance.[68][69]

The lines cited most often by advocates of this conspiracy theory are "Now it's off to Malaysia" and "Two passports, three cities, two countries, one day".[69] The lyrics "No Ali, No Frasier, but for now off to Malaysia" were linked to 'Mr. Ali', who was referred to by the press as one of the Iranian passengers, even though Malaysian authorities have confirmed that the 19-year-old passenger is actually called Pouria Nourmohammadi.[69][68] (In the song, "Ali" actually refers to boxing legend Muhammad Ali, who beat another boxing legend, Joe Frazier, in the Thrilla in Manila on 1 October 1975).[70]

Conspiracy theorists have linked the "two passports" to the stolen Austrian and Italian passports used by two passengers to board the plane.[68] The reliable sources for this story dismiss the lyrics as "mere coincidence"[69] and indicate that to take it seriously would be "a terrible idea",[68] with supporters of the theory being described as "Conspiracy Theorists" and "YouTube illuminati".[69]

Used to be Dyatlovs pass but then i just realized it was the russian army that killed them. The only survivor was saying it for years but nobody wanted to document it :(

Used to be Dyatlovs pass but then i just realized it was the russian army that killed them. The only survivor was saying it for years but nobody wanted to document it :(

Source? Used to be mine as well. So very interested in what really happened.

Source? Used to be mine as well. So very interested in what really happened.

I cant find it at the moment but the last surviving member. (the guy who turned back) looked at the photos of the camp sight and pointed out military tent poles which the group did not have. There were other pieces there that belonged to the military. He stressed that they didnt own any of those pieces and suggested that the military maybe camped with them. Because the group were boys and girls, he suggested something untoward went down with the girls. Some were locked into their tent while others were taken outside. Hense some of them cutting out of the tent and running without shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Mystery of the mud angel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Custardpi wrote: »
    I dunno about that. It could attract the gore/true crime demographic. Jack The Ripper must be worth a few bob to London tourism. Maybe the same kind of principle could apply here.

Not the first grisly encounter in that hotel. 2 serial killers based themsevles there over the years.

The Hotel is known for several suicides and its criminal activity which includes three murders.[2] Most notably, the hotel was the reported residence for serial killers Richard Ramirez in 1985 and Jack Unterweger in 1991.[2] It is rumored to be one of the last places Elizabeth Short was seen before her murder in 1947.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_Hotel_(Los_Angeles)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I cant find it at the moment but the last surviving member. (the guy who turned back) looked at the photos of the camp sight and pointed out military tent poles which the group did not have. There were other pieces there that belonged to the military. He stressed that they didnt own any of those pieces and suggested that the military maybe camped with them. Because the group were boys and girls, he suggested something untoward went down with the girls. Some were locked into their tent while others were taken outside. Hense some of them cutting out of the tent and running without shoes.

You got me interested so I searched about.
    The sole survivor, Yuri Yudin, was born on July 19 1937, and after the Dyatlov Pass Incident rose to become an administrator in the Solikamsk Perm region of Russia. He always felt that the Soviet military had probably been responsible in some way.
    In an interview last year he recalled that he had been asked to identify the owner of everything found at the scene, but had failed to find a match for a piece of cloth that seemed to be of military origin, or for a pair of glasses, a pair of skis and a piece of a ski, leading him to suspect that the military had found the tent before the volunteer rescuers.
    Yudin recalled that the authorities had seemed more interested in why the hikers were in the area in the first place than in how they died. “If they were really killed by a natural force, then there would be no secret, and we would not be talking about this 53 years on,” he observed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10026000/Yuri-Yudin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

where my road map of Ireland is and how did it get wherever it is..I suspect leprechauns..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Graces7 wrote: »
    where my road map of Ireland is and how did it get wherever it is..I suspect leprechauns..

Eh...it's a road map. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Eh...it's a road map. ;)

:p funny man! Actually it wa one I found at a beauty spot left by a tourist..

Could still be legacy items of a poorly conducted investigation by the Military prior to volunteers finding the items. Not fully sure it implicates the Military fully yet. Still utterly fascinating..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'd have to say of those related to mysterious objects and occurrences, like:

- Antikythera Mechanism... an ancient device far to advanced for it's time, suggestions origination from alternate realities
    - Phaistos Disc... Fired clay stone of 3500 old with 241 symbols gone completely undecipherable so far.
    - Taos Hum... occurs throughout the world, a low frequency hum that is impossible to pinpoint origin that not everyone can hear; Caused numerous people to commit suicide out of madness from total lack of sleep
    - London Hammer... a mid 1800s hammer found imbedded, fossilized in ancient stone that is literally impossible to fake, another with suggestions originating from alternate realities.

etc.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    - Taos Hum... occurs throughout the world, a low frequency hum that is impossible to pinpoint origin that not everyone can hear; Caused numerous people to commit suicide out of madness from total lack of sleep

Fish mating apparently :rolleyes: I know somebody who is suffering with it right now.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/mysterious-hum-keeping-people-up-all-night-could-be-mating-fish-8900747.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

- Antikythera Mechanism... an ancient device far to advanced for it's time, suggestions origination from alternate realities

Very interesting one that. A Google of it led to me also finding The Man From Taured

http://whofortedblog.com/2014/05/20/man-without-country-mystery-man-taured/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Shergar: Did he end up as dog food, or glue, or a Frenchman's meal?
    Shergar was shot, the people who took him had no experience of dealing with TB stallions and they couldn't control him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

- Phaistos Disc... Fired clay stone of 3500 old with 241 symbols gone completely undecipherable so far.
    - London Hammer... a mid 1800s hammer found imbedded, fossilized in ancient stone that is literally impossible to fake, another with suggestions originating from alternate realities.

etc.

The London Hammer is literally not from an alternative reality- debunked totally:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Hammer

Advertisement