Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

The eerie and haunting thing about Froon and Kremers is not so much whether they were kidnapped and killed, but that even at the most benign explanation, one girl injured, maybe falling into a ravine, the other having to leave her and make decisions like saving power on a phone, alone in a jungle, growing weaker and more desperate, night after night, trying to set up signals, in an age of instant communication and where most of the world is mapped in detail, just a few hours hike from safety but not knowing which direction...it's still very unsettling. Much more so than adventurers like Fawcett and Earhart.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

fattymoon wrote: »
    In seriousness, biggest ones for me are:
    1. Malaysian airlines flight 370
    2. Jack the ripper
    3. Zodiac killer

I watched a documentary on Netflix a while ago which set out evidence that the ripper wrote a diary where he admitted to it and gave his name. Think he was a writer for a newspaper in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭alberto67

The losses of Face Kicker and Pig Head.

bear1 wrote: »
    I watched a documentary on Netflix a while ago which set out evidence that the ripper wrote a diary where he admitted to it and gave his name. Think he was a writer for a newspaper in Manchester.

The Maybrick Diary is largely discredited and ignored by Ripperologists.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Maybrick

I'd love to know the events leading up to Edgar Allen Poe's death.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd love to know the events leading up to Edgar Allen Poe's death.
    Well for starters he was born on January 19th 1809.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Aha!! So, it was planned obsolescence all along...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

alberto67 wrote: »
    The losses of Face Kicker and Pig Head.

Pretty sure I saw a post by pighead in the mcgregor thread the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shergar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    branie2 wrote: »
    Shergar

Naw, it was definitely pighread....:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The Rendlesham UFO incident is a bit of a puzzler too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

In no particular order...
    Malaysian airline disappearance.
    Cause of Sennas fatal f1 crash
    Did steven Avery kill Teresa halbach
    Vanishing triangle murderer
    What really happened maddie Mccann
    Did Michael Peterson kill his wife Kathleen (staircase documentary).

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Are you sure? Which post?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

alberto67 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Which post?

He was posting plenty in that thread the last few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

The recent Delphi murder case is chilling and still without the killer being found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Abigail_Williams_and_Liberty_German

Well for starters he was born on January 19th 1809.

Har-de-har.

It's mad when you read into it - he was found completely disheveled, wearing someone else's clothes, and totally incoherent - unable to explain what had happened to him during the days he was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Har-de-har.

It's mad when you read into it - he was found completely disheveled, wearing someone else's clothes, and totally incoherent - unable to explain what had happened to him during the days he was missing.

Rather partial to Absinthe, so that could explain some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Bermuda Triangle disappearances

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The recent Delphi murder case is chilling and still without the killer being found.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Abigail_Williams_and_Liberty_German

I hate to 'victim shame'... but who the heck drops off two girls age 13 & 14 at a remote location to go hiking alone for hours?? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I hate to 'victim shame'... but who the heck drops off two girls age 13 & 14 at a remote location to go hiking alone for hours?? :eek:
    Did you never go off anywhere without adults when you were that age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Did you never go off anywhere without adults when you were that age?

Yep, up the road to the shop or possibly to a local park/playing pitch... not to a secluded hiking destination and I wasn't dropped off by a parent and left alone for hours!

My daughter is 17, I'm not leaving her and a pal in a place like that for hours on end...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

WHIP IT! wrote: »

My friend and I used to do it when we were young teens. No parent dropped us off though, we cycled there. We'd spend hours. There was not a lot else to do where we lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

weekaizer wrote: »
    In no particular order...
    Malaysian airline disappearance.
    Cause of Sennas fatal f1 crash
    Did steven Avery kill Teresa halbach
    Vanishing triangle murderer
    What really happened maddie Mccann
    Did Michael Peterson kill his wife Kathleen (staircase documentary).

The commonly held view is that an accident early in the race which brought out the safety car and subsequent cooling down of the cars, coupled with the fact that the cars were taking more aggressive attempts to be more aerodynamic were the primary reasons. Throw in the fact that Imola has a very long stretch of road which is essentially straight but with a very slight turn at the end he was in a very vulnerable position. Had it been anywhere else he would have been fine.

The cooling down of the cars meant that they dropped closer to the ground than they would have been had they been warmed up. There was less air between the ground and the base of the car and subsequently the car was unable to turn. Had they been using the cars of the earlier year he would also have been fine as they weren't manufactured so close to the ground.

He was the victim of an extremely unfortunate run of events. He died from a small piece of debris hitting him in the head. He had very few injuries besides this (I don't think he broke any bones) and would otherwise have walked away from the crash. Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Crystallised methane. Besides, it's a bloody odd shaped triangle.

astradave wrote: »
    He was posting plenty in that thread the last few days

Link to the post? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Oddly enough methane hydrates may not be as unstable as previously thought https://phys.org/news/2017-08-hydrate-gun-hypothesis.html

then again https://phys.org/news/2017-06-domes-frozen-methane-blow-outs.html
    Several methane domes, some 500m wide, have been mapped on the Arctic Ocean floor. They may be signs of soon-to-happen methane expulsions that have previously created massive craters in a near-by area.

No methane hydrate don't explain all of the Bermuda incidents, but bad navigation has explained some of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Har-de-har.

In fairness that sounds like a standard weekend for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oddly enough methane hydrates may not be as unstable as previously thought https://phys.org/news/2017-08-hydrate-gun-hypothesis.html

then again https://phys.org/news/2017-06-domes-frozen-methane-blow-outs.html

No methane hydrate don't explain all of the Bermuda incidents, but bad navigation has explained some of the others.

The weather down there doesn't help either. Most hurricanes start out in that region.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

ligerdub wrote: »
    The commonly held view is that an accident early in the race which brought out the safety car and subsequent cooling down of the cars, coupled with the fact that the cars were taking more aggressive attempts to be more aerodynamic were the primary reasons. Throw in the fact that Imola has a very long stretch of road which is essentially straight but with a very slight turn at the end he was in a very vulnerable position. Had it been anywhere else he would have been fine.

The cooling down of the cars meant that they dropped closer to the ground than they would have been had they been warmed up. There was less air between the ground and the base of the car and subsequently the car was unable to turn. Had they been using the cars of the earlier year he would also have been fine as they weren't manufactured so close to the ground.

He was the victim of an extremely unfortunate run of events. He died from a small piece of debris hitting him in the head. He had very few injuries besides this (I don't think he broke any bones) and would otherwise have walked away from the crash. Very sad.

I always found this hard to believe.
    I mean he completed a full lap of imola before the crash occurred. I honestly think the steering column broke as he turned in at the high speed tamburello corner. The column had previously been modified at drivers request due to being too long or too short (can't quite remember which) perhaps the modification was an inferior one...

Williams f1 team kept the car in house for a long period post the crash before it could be examined. I also find it odd that the on board camera footage from sennas car disappears for the short 1-2 seconds between car leaving the road and hitting the wall. Could there have been some cover up and evidence hiding on the Williams f1 team??.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Saila wrote: »
    fairly sure you mean a china mans
    He was a horse.

Advertisement